M20 Personal Defense Weapon WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PillarofAutumn

I've attached a couple of pics of my in-progress M20. It's a puzzle mat base with craft foam for detailing; core is fiberglass driveway reflector pole. Anyone have any tips for gapfillers and such to smooth out my cut lines before sanding and finishing?

IMG_3966.JPG

IMG_3967.JPG

Woodland scenic foam putty! It is a wonderful material that you scoop out of the bucket and apply to your project. It turns into foam and is great for filling in lines, marks, gaps, or sometimes sculpting. Very easy to use and it is sandable

For areas with rough cut lines use different grits of sand paper to smooth out.
Also to avoid having to sand anything smooth, when cutting foam always have a sharp blade. Foam dulls blades like no tomorrow. Either have a knife sharpener on had or replace blades often.
Another way to avoid rough cuts is to make cuts in one motion as much as possible. Cutting with a sawing motion makes for some messy spots.

Woodland scenic foam putty! It is a wonderful material that you scoop out of the bucket and apply to your project. It turns into foam and is great for filling in lines, marks, gaps, or sometimes sculpting. Very easy to use and it is sandable
Where can I get it?

I got mine from Amazon. It came fairly fast and was $10 usd, but it has plenty in it to make it last. Here it is
https://www.amazon.com/Woodland-Scenics-Foam-Putty-WOOST1447/dp/B0006NARV8

Interesting...how is its flexibility? As for guns I can see it working wonderfully but for armor sections I'm curious, as just from the name it sounds like something that would end up being pretty stiff.

And I'm also...asking... for a friend (who isn't me, I promise) who has tons of holes and areas in need of filling in his armor...

Interesting...how is its flexibility? As for guns I can see it working wonderfully but for armor sections I'm curious, as just from the name it sounds like something that would end up being pretty stiff.

And I'm also...asking... for a friend (who isn't me, I promise) who has tons of holes and areas in need of filling in his armor...

I love the stuff. It made this
DSC_1217.JPG

into this
_MG_0014.jpg

Not stuff at all. And I dont think it would need to bend if your just covering up seams and gaps... think of it as quik seal, but easier to use in my opinion. And it's sandable

For areas with rough cut lines use different grits of sand paper to smooth out.
Also to avoid having to sand anything smooth, when cutting foam always have a sharp blade. Foam dulls blades like no tomorrow. Either have a knife sharpener on had or replace blades often.
Another way to avoid rough cuts is to make cuts in one motion as much as possible. Cutting with a sawing motion makes for some messy spots.

I can vouch for the blade-resharpening approach. Bill Doran from Punished Props showed in a video how he simply sharpens his blade instead of going through a ton. I tried his method and it works amazing. Turns a dulling foam blade into a freaky sharp blade in no time. I just spray WD-40 on the blade like he does in the video and I sharpen on a rectangular whetstone.

Funny though as I watch the video, I notice that I drag the blade the opposite direction across the whetstone than he does. Oh well, it still works!

So much glorious deeettttaiiill!

Gotta check that vid out when Im home.

Imma vouch for the sharpener route too, as what I did for my blades was waste a full 10 pack before I brought out the knife sharpener rod and realised I'm an idiot when I got the blades to last infinite times longer lol

So much glorious deeettttaiiill!

Gotta check that vid out when Im home.

Imma vouch for the sharpener route too, as what I did for my blades was waste a full 10 pack before I brought out the knife sharpener rod and realised I'm an idiot when I got the blades to last infinite times longer lol

I know, it was awesome, when I realized that I could make a blade freaky sharp over and over and over.

Yeah, I need to get a sharpener lol For a while, while I was doing some boffers for a LARP character I played (game wrapped its plot arc), I'd use a whetstone to sharpen periodically, and even that made a ton of difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back