Props MA5B Conversion stock for M1A in 7.62x51mm NATO (.308WIN)

Wayward Flood

Hi Everybody.

I figured its finally time I posted my project that brought me to this forum since I have a grasp of Blender now and have some very rough models. I have years of experience on safely handling, working on firearms, and learning U.S firearm law. I also have a buddy who is a mechanical engineer. He is interested in the project and is making sure its working as intended. This is pretty much just a shell for an aftermarket stock so their isn't much room for dangerous mistakes in terms of the design. I understand this post might not be allowed here and am fine with it being removed if it has to.

The plan so far is to 3D print the parts for the rifle. I'm using a Springfield loaded M1A in a Juggernaut Rouge bull-pup stock. It will support a scope mount, flashlight with toggle switch, and a tripod. I'm still deciding which magazine size I will design the receiver around.

Goals for this project:
  • Get as close as I can to the dimensions of the MA5B
  • Make no permanent modification to the M1A or Juggernaut stock
  • Maintain the free floating barrel the Juggernaut stock gives
  • Improve ejection port exhaust guard and mag angle assist feed ramp for loading (magazine must be rocked in on the M1A and not pushed up)
  • Have rifle retain its purpose as a viable long range marksmanship rifle
These are the rough models I have so far. I already have the design for each peice done but have to model it. The cowl will have the side plates attached with the 4 air holes. I still have to correct some parts and add a ton more detail. The mag well, flashlight toggle button, and bolt cut out aren't modeled yet. The plan for scope mount is to have the top part of the cowl be removable to reveal it. I plan to have a service 3D print the cowl and top receiver piece in aluminum. The rest will be done in ABS plastic. This may change when I do further research into the 3D printing materials. I decided to go with the Halo: CE model of the MA5B because it is a bit shorter (in perspective anyways). This works better with my rifle because I'm limited by the location of the trigger and grip. I have to play around with the dimensions of each piece because of this. I may make the cowl longer.

I want to thank everybody here for tutorials on 3D printing. Part of the reason I wanted to do this project was to get into 3D modeling and printing. I'll update this post as the project progresses.

Attachments

Jason225

Do you have the in-game first person models for reference? If not, let me know which game's MA5B you want to model it after and I'll get you the .obj file and textures tonight. I'm assuming Halo 3 but I figure it's best to ask. Even if you don't use the model itself, having it available for reference will help with a lot of the details. I'll be watching this thread closely, firearms are one of my biggest hobbies and I may commission you for a stock in the future if I pick up an M1A. I was considering doing something similar with a Glock and the M7 caseless, though I'd be CNC milling it instead of 3D printing since I work at a machine shop.

Wayward Flood

Do you have the in-game first person models for reference? If not, let me know which game's MA5B you want to model it after and I'll get you the .obj file and textures tonight. I'm assuming Halo 3 but I figure it's best to ask. Even if you don't use the model itself, having it available for reference will help with a lot of the details. I'll be watching this thread closely, firearms are one of my biggest hobbies and I may commission you for a stock in the future if I pick up an M1A. I was considering doing something similar with a Glock and the M7 caseless, though I'd be CNC milling it instead of 3D printing since I work at a machine shop.
I'd really appreciate that. The Halo: CE .obj file would be great. I been mostly referencing Halo CE/Anniversary and Halo 3 screenshots and concept art. So either file would help a lot. Let me know what you have in mind if you get an M1A and I'll see what I can come up with. The Juggernaut Rouge stock is hard to find now. It was discontinued in 2016 I believe so it might not be possible to recreate what I'm building. The M7 would be awesome! I seen a lot of full size stocks made for Glocks. I would be really interested to see what you could make in a machine shop.

Jason225

I'd really appreciate that. The Halo: CE .obj file would be great. I been mostly referencing Halo CE/Anniversary and Halo 3 screenshots and concept art. So either file would help a lot. Let me know what you have in mind if you get an M1A and I'll see what I can come up with. The Juggernaut Rouge stock is hard to find now. It was discontinued in 2016 I believe so it might not be possible to recreate what I'm building. The M7 would be awesome! I seen a lot of full size stocks made for Glocks. I would be really interested to see what you could make in a machine shop.
I'll get it to you tonight. And also yeah you're right, I didn't realize the Juggernaut was discontinued. Ah well. Hopefully we can meet up someday and shoot our conversions! I'm most likely gonna use a 16-inch barrel if I can, with one of those suppressor-shaped barrel shrouds to hide the length (and look like an M6S). That'll allow me to keep the stock and folding VFG in the front without any issues. I live in Missouri so I could potentially SBR it and get a suppressor for it, but I don't know if I want to spend the extra cash and the months of waiting on a gimmick gun.

Last edited:

Wayward Flood

I'll get it to you tonight. And also yeah you're right, I didn't realize the Juggernaut was discontinued. Ah well. Hopefully we can meet up someday and shoot our conversions! I'm most likely gonna use a 16-inch barrel if I can, with one of those suppressor-shaped barrel shrouds to hide the length (and look like an M6S). That'll allow me to keep the stock and folding VFG in the front without any issues. I live in Missouri so I could potentially SBR it and get a suppressor for it, but I don't know if I want to spend the extra cash and the months of waiting on a gimmick gun.
That would get some looks at the range haha! I hear you on the tax stamp. I couldn't stand the wait for my suppressor. The suppressed SMG would be amazing. You could get a multi caliber suppressor to justify buying the thing. I looked it up and apparently a pistol stock + the 16" barrel is considered a rifle. Article that says so supposedly....

I would check that with your state laws very carefully though. It probably all depends on the overall length. Only having the stock on would make it an SBR. Getting the form 1 for it would probably be the safest route.

Jason225

That would get some looks at the range haha! I hear you on the tax stamp. I couldn't stand the wait for my suppressor. The suppressed SMG would be amazing. You could get a multi caliber suppressor to justify buying the thing. I looked it up and apparently a pistol stock + the 16" barrel is considered a rifle. Article that says so supposedly....

I would check that with your state laws very carefully though. It probably all depends on the overall length. Only having the stock on would make it an SBR. Getting the form 1 for it would probably be the safest route.
As long as the barrel is over 16", I'm good to go with a stock. You can convert a pistol to a rifle as long as it was originally sold as a pistol or "other" (stripped receiver, etc). You just can't go the other way around. No different than buying one of these stocks.

Also here's a quick ATF link if you think about doing this yourself, it's totally above board, no grey area or anything.

Also, got your model. You'll have to delete the position nodes (to be honest, I didn't feel like opening 3DS Max because it takes forever. Haha) but the first person model is pretty detailed for being nearly 20 years old. Hope it helps!

Attachments

Wayward Flood

Thank you so much for that file. It's going to make getting every detail down much easier. I scaled it to the dimensions of the MA5C in the Halo 3 concept art blueprint but took 3 inches off to account for the flash hider. My rifle measures 30" from the barrel muzzle. The Halo wiki tells me it should be a bit longer then the MA5C. That doesn't make any sense though since the MA5B doesn't have a flash hider. I also don't know its barrel length and where that begins inside the rifle. This will probably be a cross of the MA5B and MA5C like I planned. I'm not too worried about getting every dimension right though.

MA7D and in game model comparison 2.PNGMA7D and in game model comparison.PNGMA7D and in game model Front.PNG

Wayward Flood

As long as the barrel is over 16", I'm good to go with a stock. You can convert a pistol to a rifle as long as it was originally sold as a pistol or "other" (stripped receiver, etc). You just can't go the other way around. No different than buying one of these stocks.

Also here's a quick ATF link if you think about doing this yourself, it's totally above board, no grey area or anything.

That's good to know for the Zenith MP5 I want with a collapsing stock. Pretty sure I remember the stock makes it a SBR. Man NFA laws on SBRs can get annoying. I might look into a M7 stock in the future but I already got projects planned after this. My next project is to get my idea fleshed out for the ammo counter on this rifle and see if it could be profitable.

Jason225

That's good to know for the Zenith MP5 I want with a collapsing stock. Pretty sure I remember the stock makes it a SBR. Man NFA laws on SBRs can get annoying. I might look into a M7 stock in the future but I already got projects planned after this. My next project is to get my idea fleshed out for the ammo counter on this rifle and see if it could be profitable.
That would be pretty sweet. Too bad you can't stuff 60 rounds in the box mag though, right? Lol

Wayward Flood

That would be pretty sweet. Too bad you can't stuff 60 rounds in the box mag though, right? Lol
I wish lol! They need to make a quad stack one in .308 because reasons. If only I had 15g to throw away on a full auto M14. Then I could burn even more money in the blink of an eye!

Wayward Flood

Quick update

I been making a lot of progress thanks to Jason225 idea and helping by getting the in game model to compare to the measurements I did in Blender. I combined the cut and pasted outer aesthetics with the critical measurements on the inside I did.

I doubled check my measurements on the actual rifle with the Juggernaut stock on. Fixed some small width issues. Funnily enough I noticed the 1st person view model is not symmetrical exactly with some of the angles and faces. This was obviously done to save time since you would only see the more detailed left side. I made it symmetrical to the best of my ability.

The grip is hopefully complete. I ordered a cheap print for $20 to make sure I made no errors. I'm happy to say the ETA for the project is less then a month now, barring any big errors. This is the most complex piece due to the flashlight toggle system. I cannibalized an old Xbox 360 controller and am using the A button for the toggle on the side. I had to cut out a lot of diffent parts to get the button, picattany rail, and bipod insert right (on the bottom of the rear piece). I'll update again when the grip/flashlight print arrives.

Wayward Flood

The prototype grip piece came in finally! The screw holes are on point. The rail is upside down because I missed a dimension on the top of the rail. The toggle switch insert needs to be widened because the rubber on the switch scrunches up too much. I have a few errors to fix with the faces and edges of the model. The a button insert also has be be tightened a bit. I forgot to include the bipod in the picture.

I'm just about done with the entire stock 3D model. I hope to finish it today or tomorrow.

Wayward Flood

Sooooo... making a hollow piece with a bunch of angles 3D printable is a bit of challenge for your first 3D model project... The lower receiver piece has some issues at the moment and I have to un-ugly it. I'm using Meshmixer to identify issues to correct. The tools in meshfinder just make most of the receiver vanish. My best option at this point is to make the receiver solid and Boolean it using the rifle model. I can add parts to the rifle model to cut out the hollow spaces.

Good news is I can print some prototype pieces at my local Community College. I won't have to wait weeks now for them to arrive. The guy in the 3D print lab there is really helpful and suggested some other programs to try. I might give Fusion 360 a spin.

Here's the current model. I haven't touched the red piece yet. The front grip, pins, and mag release lever is done. I had to shorten the cowl into the grip in order to get the barrel in the right spot. It's lower then the in game model.

Sean Anwalt

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
I can print some prototype pieces at my local Community College.
Hey man, just a head's up: I used to work for the Police department at a university, and you are probably going to catch a ton of grief for even mentioning this at a college. I'm not sure which college or their policy, but I felt like I should extend a friendly reminder to keep this on the down-low and not spread it around until after you're done.
Nothing I've read so far is illegal or anything, but with the media being so anti-gun lately, the liberals are gonna tear you apart if you show this off too soon.

This is an epic build, though, for sure. I'm stoked to see how it goes!

For the flashlight, have you considered this? The finger-button is a priceless addition to a taclight; it makes everything better:

Wayward Flood

Hey man, just a head's up: I used to work for the Police department at a university, and you are probably going to catch a ton of grief for even mentioning this at a college. I'm not sure which college or their policy, but I felt like I should extend a friendly reminder to keep this on the down-low and not spread it around until after you're done.
Nothing I've read so far is illegal or anything, but with the media being so anti-gun lately, the liberals are gonna tear you apart if you show this off too soon.

This is an epic build, though, for sure. I'm stoked to see how it goes!

For the flashlight, have you considered this? The finger-button is a priceless addition to a taclight; it makes everything better.
Appreciate the concern man. I'm only telling the guy in the lab that is seeing the models. He doesn't care but if management gets wind and wants me to stop, I completely understand. I used to work at the college and am on good terms with some of the department heads So its not like I'm a random stranger coming in and printing strange things lol! When I do tell friends and family about this, I start off by saying its a shell that attaches to a gun stock. There are no anti-gun 3D printing laws in my state but I don't want anybody to get confused and think I'm actually making a gun.

When I started this project, I decided not to put down much of my personal details online. I'm a little afraid that Microsoft will decide they don't want one of their IPs associated with a project like this. I'm one the unheard moderates on whole firearm debate and can see why they might not be cool with this. Keeping my details private against a tech giant is a vein hope but I might as-well try.

Sean Anwalt

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
Gotcha. Sounds like you've got a good grasp on things. Just keep being respectful. Us firearm folks need all the good representation we can get with all the lies and slander going around.

Wayward Flood

Quick update. I'm busy with 4th of July shinnanigans so I haven't had much time to fix the receiver errors lately. I have fixed a lot of errors and see the over hang edges I need to correct. The thing will hopefully be manifold soon....

Wayward Flood

Work is still chugging along slowly. I have other projects I'm working on that have a dedicated time table that I have to meet. I got a laptop now so I can work on the model and others more often.

I found this old image from a year ago when this all began. It gives you an idea of the room saved with a bullpup design.
Above is the stock the rifle came in. Middle is the complete Juggernaut stock and rifle. Below is the predecessor of the rifle, the M1 Garand. They are lined up by the receivers.

FlyinPhil

Marketplace Supervisor
Community Staff
This is a wicked looking build!

Being a Canuck, unfortunately aftermarket bull pup stocks or conversions are prohibited. Luckily, though, we have the Norinco type 97’s up here for relatively cheap. When the pocket book is a little more full, I might try my hand at building a BR from one of the games