1. 581-Erudite Watch
    Greetings Guest! I am the NEW guide of the 405th Infantry Division. I am 581. Surely, you are asking yourself, who is this fascinating entity and what is he about? Fear not! The staff of this great community has cleverly created a comic to share my backstory with you. Click HERE to learn more!

Dismiss Notice

MA5C Assault Rifle (Halo 3) 3d Printable- Model Uploaded

Discussion in 'Halo 3D Modeling' started by CollinMcCaf, Jan 10, 2018.

1. CollinMcCaf

CollinMcCaf

The first version of this model has been completed, the following is my work process and at the end the completed model and file.

First post below-
    As the title would suggest I'm currently making the most accurate model I can muster. I'm using the in game model for reference. Please send me any and all applicable reference material, I'm only able to do so much with what I have.
    Here's my progress so far, the top is the in-game model
    (I plan on uploading two models, one that'll do everything but fire and another more "traditional") MA5C.jpg MA5C_2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    mblackwell1002 likes this.
  2. CollinMcCaf

CollinMcCaf

Another update, I had to redo the front grip (not finished yet). MA5C_Render2.jpg MA5C_Render.jpg

3. Ghost8617

Ghost8617

Wow, very nice! I've been looking for a good file for this rifle to print. This is coming along very nicely!

4. CollinMcCaf

CollinMcCaf

Boy oh boy; another update! :D
    Got a little bored modeling the front, decided to switch things up and work on the stock.
    Render.jpg

**Yes, I'm aware the front grip is wrong; yes I'm going to fix it.**

5. CollinMcCaf

CollinMcCaf

Another day, another update.
    Detail work will begin in a few days
    MA5CRender2.jpg MA5CRender.jpg
    Most unfortunately, I accidentally deleted a part of the screen

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    TurboCharizard and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  6. CollinMcCaf

CollinMcCaf

Another glorious update!
    8k is apparently too large to appear as a photo, heres some 4k instead.
    MA5CRender3.jpg MA5CRender4.jpg
    *Need to reshape the stock, flashlight, below the flashlight, the "mag release rail", and re-add the front grip. Then detail work will begin.*

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  7. CollinMcCaf

CollinMcCaf

For the glory of the roman empire, another update! Currently sitting at 31,452 polygons
    MA5C.jpg

8. CollinMcCaf

CollinMcCaf

Today saw an increase of 9,366 polys putting us now at 40,818! Had a few hours (2 & 1/2 to be exact) before work, did some more detailing. Still procrastinating on those front grips XD
    Modeled some delicious ribs (side of the screen), the mag release, power button, and a few more of the seemingly endless rivots
    MA5C_1.jpg MA5C_3.jpg MA5C_2.jpg
    *Yes I know, I need to fix the stock... and add the power button on the other side*

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    mblackwell1002 and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  9. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

What’s done so far looks awesome! Look forward to seeing the end result

10. CollinMcCaf

CollinMcCaf

Long time, no update. Been busy since January, I put in a few more hours today though :D
    So. Without furtherado, heres the progress on the detail work. Be sure to take a look at the 16k render! (in the attachments)
    ma5c.jpg ma5c_2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    TurboCharizard and Hein B107 like this.
  11. CollinMcCaf

CollinMcCaf

Back to back updates; what is this madness?!? Did the recessed portions on the front among other things. It's coming together :D
    Current poly count is 84,121! And of course, another 16k render (attached file at the bottom)
    MA5C_1.jpg MA5C_2.jpg

MA5C_3.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  12. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

Holy cow, 16k? That's glorious overkill. I love it!

Everything is looking great so far!

13. CollinMcCaf

CollinMcCaf

A 16k render only takes about 40 seconds or so, I would love to post all the pictures at 16k but there seems to be a limit somewhere around 4k

Lieutenant Jaku likes this.
  14. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

So you have a beefy PC? My PC is pretty low-end. What are your specs?

15. CollinMcCaf

CollinMcCaf

I'm using one of those older Fx-8350 processors but its overclocked to 5.6GHz so it does pretty well, Evo 850 SSD, an overclocked R9 390 graphics card, and 16gb of 2133 gSkill Sniper ram.
    The only downside is it feels like I live in Arizona whenever I'm gaming, or rendering
    So its not exactly "god-tier", but its not some $500 bestbuy deal either

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  16. CollinMcCaf

CollinMcCaf

Hear ye, hear ye, heres another update for thee.
    Spent a solid 3-4 hours reshaping the stock tonight, in addition to making things nice and rounded I noticed a "extra piece" next to the mag. It has now been removed. (It was on the original model, the way H3 renders things it gets rounded over)
    Poly count is now 87,589!
    As per usual, some juicy 16k renders attached bellow. (3 this time) MA5C_1.jpg MA5C_3.jpg MA5C_2.jpg

Attached Files:

17. Hein B107

Hein B107

Now i am wondering if this beaty is useable for 3d printing. So many beautifull details :eek:

18. mkshane81

mkshane81

Amazing work! Absolutely gorgeous

-Matt

19. CollinMcCaf

CollinMcCaf

Thats the plan. I'm going to slice it up and add internal voids so the sections can be slid over pvc piping

Hein B107 likes this.
  20. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

Are you making it a hollow shell with support ribs to save on weight?

21. Hein B107

Hein B107

That would be awesome. :D

Even more interested in this thread now. Are you planning on printing it yourself?

22. CollinMcCaf

CollinMcCaf

Rather than attempting to explain, I have done a render of how each section will be printed
    MA5C_PrintableSection.jpg
    Once I finish my Meta suit, I plan on printing it for my later ODST Rookie build

mkshane81 likes this.
  23. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

Rad. I'm all about shells with ribs aligned thwart-ships and a support rod. BOATS.

24. CollinMcCaf

CollinMcCaf

Anyone happen to know what the magazine should look like? I haven't been able to find any reference photos and I don't really feel like shoving this block of cheese in my rifle.
    MagOfShame.jpg MagOfShame_2.jpg
    If no one has any better ideas I'll just model after the Barrett M107 .50 BMG magazine.
    s-l225.jpg

Hein B107 likes this.
  25. Hein B107

Hein B107

Hiw about a combo between the two? The lower "docking" point to fit with the aesthetic and the upper part that slides in like the bmg mag.

As for the internal structure. I would put in a bit more ribs or thicker walls. (Thick walls with honeycomb pattern?) They look a bit flimsy right now