Soft Parts Make Your Own Gloves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, this is my first post in the underarmor forum. I see that many people have posted links to tactical gloves online to serve as spartan gloves with the handplates. In case anyone here would prefer making the whole suit from scratch, I made these patterns for myself a while ago (I just have made an account until now).

I hope these patterns help. You can modify them as much as you want. I have had my patterns cut out for a while, but I still haven't sat down to sew them yet (or convinced my mom to sew them yet). Instead of links, I'll just post the full-sized patterns as pics. Sorry they aren't 100%, but they're pretty good for standard-looking gloves with some patches.

PICS:

Main Patterns: (Scale these to your hand size when you print them)

glovetemplate1.png

glovetemplate2.png

glovetemplate3.jpg

- This is an optional pad for the palm/thumb area

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Patterns Cut Out:

dsc03779small.jpg

dsc03780small.jpg

The Pads:

dsc03781small.jpg

These are pieces for the straps at the wrist which will be attatched to the bottom of the main pattern

dsc03782small.jpg

This is my handplate attatched to the prototype glove from a quicker pattern and hand-sewed. (Quite an accomplishment for a male teenager, if you ask me :) )

dsc03783medium.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll get this glove together as soon as possible. Thanks to anyone who finds this pattern helpful!

you should make it go further your arm more. Cous now it begins at the palm of your hand.

I know, that prototype glove didn't have the 1"-1 1/2" strap at the base. That's why it looks dum.

And yes, I flipped it inside out to hide the seam.

This wan't intended to be a easier or cheaper alternative to paintball gloves. I just thought it might be a fun project for people who wanted to make most of thier armor themselves. Just for fun. That's all.

This is a great idea, no doubt about it. The main pluses being that they are completely fitting to your own hand, and that they are extremely cheap to make. In fact, if you spent a little bit more time working on this with some of the same materials, you could probably make a glove similar to the "Hatch SOG Operator HK Tactical Gloves" that Weta used for their ODST's in Landfall. Think about it: the unique knuckle area could be replicated using maybe some flat round object (rocks of the same caliber, balled up paper, weights, etc.), and then covered with the padding method. The leather covering most of the glove could be mirrored by the same technique of making pads, then sprayed over with some shiny paint or rubber coating (Maybe even Plasti Dip!). I love the concept, has tons of potential and is quite simple to execute. Projects like this one help us to remember the originality and ease of creating armor from scratch and the ways we should come up with new ideas to save us money in the process. Great Job Nightshade!

Hey, man, thanks for the support. I'm not saying it's any kind of amazing new technique. It's just fun. And yes, they are extremely cheap. I'm using some of the same material to make my neck piece/face mask (same stretchy black material and leathery stuff). The pads could easily hold bearings, pebbles, etc, to make those knuckle pads. (That's what the black outline is for). And the pads were mostly improv, so you can make 'em in any shape you want. I will say, though, that the pattern results in a very confortable fit (although I'd sugguest cutting the bottoms of the fingers a bit lower). Just like Damarius said, it just adds a bit of "originality and ease" to your armor.

No problem, and no its not "amazing" per say, but so far you're the only one that has made the concept concrete as of now, and the only one who has provided us a simple method of execution. Its the simplest things that count, something that the forums should take to heart. Everyone is so caught up in using the most extreme measures to make armor that we might tend to forget the basics. We need and will need reminders every now and then, so thank you :)

While you at it perhaps you can wrap your mind around this idea too.

I took some screens a little while back to get some further detail of the glove and plate. I noticed the following.

Up until I saw this, the three divets on the hand plates were just cosmetic, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that thought they were actually fastners. The first two images shows the location of these divets on how they relate to the palm of the hand. The second and third images outline an outer covering that I think is part of the hand plate. I think it's used to put the hand plate on over the glove instead of directly attached to the glove itself.
th_Hand-3.pngth_Hand-1.pngth_Hand-2.png

What'd ya think?

Hmmm ... so, basically, the glove is attatched to a leathery stap-glove-thingy that fits right over the real glove below, which itself doesn't actually have padding? (except for the fingers) ... At least that's what I think you're saying. If that's true, then it shouldn't be too hard. Just design some pads, sew them separately, attatch the to the plate, and then slip the whole thing over the glove. In the pic with my plate on my hand (on the quick glove I made), you can see that it's strapped to my hand my black straps fitting over the glove, sort of like in the renders Magnum posted. I can see this is gonna need some developement.

The black straps:

glovestraps1.jpg

gloves arent hard just trace your hands add a quarter inch plus seam room.. and some room for a cuff, sew it together..

helps if it's a stretchy material but thats all gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back