Making A Pep Weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.

mew2

So me and my friend have decided that we want to make the SPARTAN laser. Has anyone else made this beast before, and if you have do you guys have any advice on how to make, and what the final product should look like?

cliffjumpers57 said:
So me and my friend have decided that we want to make the SPARTAN laser. Has anyone else made this beast before, and if you have do you guys have any advice on how to make, and what the final product should look like?

I personally have not made the Splazer yet (nor will I) but I would assume if you plan to make it using pepakura then It would be just as hard as I would be to make other "big" Pep weapons. The final product SHOULD look like a angular in-game model, thats where you would bondo to make it smooth and detailed :]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one of the biggest things is be patient and dont rush (im terrible at that). Also be sure of your folds and where your going to glue pieces before you put any glue on. It may help to do it in parts, then attach those together. There is much more information than I could possibly give you in the stickies, and there is also the Q and A team. Welcome to the 405th.

But dimensions wise about how big will it be?

Also should i use the attached sound for the charging noise?

If your using the pep model it says the dimensions in the bottom right corner of the pepakura viewer. The Spartan Laser pep i have downloaded is 313mm high x 113 mm wide x 989 mm long. or if you prefer inches its about 12.25 in high x 4.5 in wide x 39 in long. Hope this helps, again weapons should be their right scale in pep so if you print it out you generally won't have to worry about dimensions. armor is a different story but im no use on that.

as for the sound i dont have halo 3 here at college so i dont know if the sound matches or not

I have one more question, What is the best method for glueing, for the other projects I've I just used regular Elmer's glue but you guys seem to practically worship "cold" hot glue guns. Which method is better(stronger)?

Glue is a personal choice. I don't really think one offers benefits over another. I'm like you and use Elmer's. Less of a mess for me.

Low temp hot glue guns simply don't burn as much as high-temp glue guns :p

Glue is a personnal choice. I prefer SuperGlue personnaly, others prefer Elmers, cement, or gorilla glue. Try 'em all, you'll know after :p

Just a note on superglue while this topic is "fresh".

I've recently discovered that with super glue, you definately get what you paid for.

I went el cheapo for my first round of pep making, and bought 6 tubes for 3 dollars. It was really hard to use, messy, and dried quicker than anything. Soon after I discovered some uhu superglue at home, which retails for about 4 bucks a tube here, and it was absolutely brilliant to work with.

So my 2 cents is, buy some decent superglue as its well worth it.

Sean

I use Elmer's washable school glue, the purple stuff the dries clearish.

About a 9cm high x 2.5cm diameter stick. Came in a three stick pack for about $1.50 at Walmart and works great.

I'm only half way through the first stick and I've done two hand plates, a shin and thigh, and 80% of a chest; all high def... oh, and a plasma grenade :)

i had it assembled in pep

but before i could even fiberglass it, it got warped, stepped on, and shoved into my closet.

advice i can give you- TAKE YOUR TIME, it took me almost a week of assembly and use super glue or some other type of quick drying gel adhesive, and use supports in the middle. i also strongly suggest, when you fiberglass it, endo glass it or foam the middle

it actually isnt that big when you hold it then you think it would be :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back