Making a suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasku

Small intro first:

I forget exactly what I was searching for when I stumbled upon the 405th, I believe I was looking for some regular papercraft to make. So after reading various threads and watching some of the videos on the forums, I thought that this would be interesting, so I started.

That was a few months ago, at the time I started on, I think they are MK V shin pieces. They turned out well in my opinion, I then started to resin one, but I ran out of time at the location I was doing that work at. I ended up putting those parts away as I moved. When I got settled into my temporary dwelling, I started work on a helm, a Jorge helm to be exact.

DSCF4232.jpg

DSCF4233.jpg

DSCF4217.jpg

DSCF4218.jpg

DSCF4220.jpg

DSCF4222.jpg

DSCF4225.jpg

DSCF4227.jpg

DSCF4228.jpg

DSCF4230.jpg

Ok, the first two pictures are of the two shin pieces, Then progress of the Jorge Helm, and then the second helm is a small side project that I'm going to do in conjunction with the other.

On some of the little things on the Helms, The string, I put in to hold up a small warpage of the paper, it looks better than it did before, it should hold fine after getting some resin on it.

The hole in the second helm, I think it was either the pep file having been unfolded wrong, or me not putting it together right due to me forgetting to have it print with the edge numbers.

I'm glad I copied the this post, as when I went to post it, I got a message saying I wasn't logged in.

DSCF4232.jpg

DSCF4233.jpg

DSCF4217.jpg

DSCF4218.jpg

DSCF4220.jpg

DSCF4222.jpg

DSCF4225.jpg

DSCF4227.jpg

DSCF4228.jpg

DSCF4230.jpg

OK, I just printed out the chest piece. If anyone's still wondering, my suit is of Jorge's. Thats 35 pages to do, its ten longer than the original pep file, but I kept getting the "some parts do not fit the development area" prompt. So I moved them all around and ended up at 35 pages. I still got the prompt and it asked to adjust the size to fit, I selected no, and it looks just fine so far.

I'll update, as I go, but I procrastinate rather bad at times, so updates maybe sparse. That is, until my residence situation becomes permanent. As in, I move into an apartment. Right now I'm in a temp location, just moved out a month ago from an apartment with some inconsiderate roommates.

DSCF4234.jpg

DSCF4234.jpg

Ok, I started on the chest piece, and started resining the second helmet. I think, though, I'll need to scale the chest up so I can fit my head through the head-hole. Heres some progress pictures.

Resin start.
DSCF4235.jpg

Chest start.
DSCF4238.jpg

I can just fit it over my head, my ears hit the edges.

DSCF4235.jpg

DSCF4238.jpg

I've started Glassing the helmets, and I should be able to start painting them by the weekend. Also some update pictures of the chest, front and back.

DSCF4241.jpg

DSCF4242.jpg

DSCF4241.jpg

DSCF4242.jpg

not bad, I'm watchin this one. I also want to see what you do with the daft punk helmet :)

I've glassed both helmets, but I haven't really made progress on the chest piece. The reason for that further down.

I was going to work on the helms on Friday, but I spent just over four hours in a chair getting half my tattoo colored in.

On Saturday, I was going to work on them, but I got an arcade machine from a pawn shop that went out of business. The thing had an out of order sign on it, so I though that it didn't work. I know someone who works on them, so I could get back in working condition. It turns out the on/off switch was just on the off position.

OK, aside from all of that, I started with the body filler on the daft punk helmet, and will start on the Jorge helm soon.

Pictures are of them already gassed. And the Tertis arcade machine

DSCF4243.jpg

DSCF4247.jpg

DSCF4244.jpg

DSCF4246.jpg

DSCF4250.jpg

DSCF4243.jpg

DSCF4247.jpg

DSCF4244.jpg

DSCF4246.jpg

DSCF4250.jpg

... I think, though, I'll need to scale the chest up so I can fit my head through the head-hole ...

You don't fit your head through the hole. During construction you will seperate the chest into a 'front' and 'back'. Then you need merely clip them together to wear it. The hole need only be big enough to fit your neck, not your head.

Here's where I seperated my Mk VI chest at the top, also cut the pieces joining under the armpit. Click image to see the blue lines representing where the cut would be:

th_IMG_20101009_152445.jpg

You don't fit your head through the hole. During construction you will seperate the chest into a 'front' and 'back'. Then you need merely clip them together to wear it. The hole need only be big enough to fit your neck, not your head.

Here's where I seperated my Mk VI chest at the top, also cut the pieces joining under the armpit. Click image to see the blue lines representing where the cut would be:

I see, thanks, that would work. Thanks for the advice!

This build is looking really good so far! Can I ask what tattoo you are getting? If 4 hours can get you half filled in, it must be a pretty sick tat, as long as it's not a unicorn with flowers in its mane. Actually you could probably make that pretty sweet too, if you were to add some blood. Just remember, if need be, blood makes every tattoo look better.

This build is looking really good so far! Can I ask what tattoo you are getting? If 4 hours can get you half filled in, it must be a pretty sick tat, as long as it's not a unicorn with flowers in its mane. Actually you could probably make that pretty sweet too, if you were to add some blood. Just remember, if need be, blood makes every tattoo look better.

Unicorns fix everything

I'll post a picture of my tattoo later.

heres the body filler on the daft punk helmet. I laid the body filler on kind of thick, so thats why theres alot of imperfections. I'll make another batch of filler tomorrow and smooth it out better.

DSCF4252.jpg

DSCF4251.jpg

DSCF4254.jpg

DSCF4253.jpg

DSCF4252.jpg

DSCF4251.jpg

DSCF4254.jpg

DSCF4253.jpg

That chest pep is amazingly clean, great job. I noticed that it doesn't seem like it has any supports to keep it from warping, I might suggest adding a couple or doing the initial resining in small patches to keep the warping to a minimum.

That chest pep is amazingly clean, great job. I noticed that it doesn't seem like it has any supports to keep it from warping, I might suggest adding a couple or doing the initial resining in small patches to keep the warping to a minimum.

I'm not too worried about warping. As I expected to do it in sections from the start of it, that and I don't want to waste more paper than I need too. I'm going to resin the flat parts around the neck first, then the tank on the front and go from there once a section dries. That way, like you said, it should keep warping to a minimum.

As for the link to the daft punk helmet, MY GOD MAN! Which video was that version of Guy's helm in? I'm going for the gloss black and gray from the promo music vid fro Tron Legacy. Though, I don't believe I can do the leds on the faceplate like in the vid. The leds are right there at eye level. They would span the whole of the open section on the one I'm doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back