Making Green Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

S1n1sterTech

OK I am making this for the people who like to make videos along with armor so I hope it is useful

Step 1: Go out to anyplace that sells packing tape and green poster boards and pick up how ever many you need. (the bigger the green screen the more you will need)

0730090228.jpg

Step 2: Tape the poster boards together on that back side ONLY

0730090123a.jpg

Step 3: OK with this step you have 2 choices you can A. Tape it to a wall or B. Tape card board to the back

0730090228a.jpg

Optional Step: OK if you went with B and used card board you can them tape it to other stuff to help hold it up, me myself had a store display rake thing

0730090228b.jpg

0730090229.jpg

OK in the end this project cost me a total of $10.32 after tax and that left me with 2 extra poster boards and alot of extra packing tape

0730090253.jpg

OK this part if very impotent to use a green screen right you will have to light the green screenin other words put a few lights on the green screen only

well hope this helps someone and plez post any green screens you make

how big is your green screen? i like your idea with putting the grid metal behind it.

i have built green screens like this before and it works, but it is still paper and stuff so be careful with it. i am building a new one right now out of wood and paint. also with geen screens if you are shooting all you body form head to toe it helps very very much to have a green screen that goes on to the floor.

Stage-1-sets-Green-Screen.jpg

note the small curve right before it touches the floor. this so there is no shadows and you can key out your green perfect :D

Lighting is diffidently the biggest challenge for me. Thanks for this! I've done a few tests of green screen things, and the lighting always messed me up. A good (free) program for removing green screen and adding backgrounds is Wax 2.0 (google it)

computergeek said:
Lighting is diffidently the biggest challenge for me. Thanks for this! I've done a few tests of green screen things, and the lighting always messed me up. A good (free) program for removing green screen and adding backgrounds is Wax 2.0 (google it)

just make sure the whole screen is a solid green, no shadows or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caboos318 said:
how big is your green screen? i like your idea with putting the grid metal behind it.

thanx and it not that big this one only really meant for the top half of my body and thats all, I will hold me over until I get together the money i need for a really good one thats 10 by 16

S1n1stertech said:
thanx and it not that big this one only really meant for the top half of my body and thats all, I will hold me over until I get together the money i need for a really good one thats 10 by 16

how big is the one your getting and how much. i know there are portable ones out there for about $100 that are i think 12x8 or close to that. there made of cloth with little metal things that spread it flat and it folds into a nice neat holding case. it has the extra hight so you have spread it out on the ground. they work well.

why dont you look for your self Green Screen Link

i just need to save up extra so I can get the stands and I want to get some better lights, I just today picked up a tripod for my cam and it only cost me $14.99 but The cost of lights I am sure will kick my ass lol

As an indie filmmaker I gotta step in here for a moment just to give readers a few facts. Kudos for thinking on the cheap. HOWEVER, if anyone here is serious about pulling off a great special effects shot on the cheap the #1 most important part is lighting, lots of it. This method is ok for working on the cheap however when you put any kind of light on it (depending on your camera, they see light much differently than eyes do) it's going to pick up the seams of the posterboard creating gridlike artifacts. (PRO TIP: That poster board is flammable near hotlights.) An easier and just as cost efficient way of creating a green screen on the cheap is buying yourself a lime green table cloth (or equivalent), stretching it tight, and add in some proper lighting (properly spaced). Continue on with your discussion, sorry :)

Cheers,

Kensai

there is no need to be sorry. yes, i have had much hardship with my poster board green screen. the lines where they over lap or touch are hard for me to get un-shadowed with the insufficient lighting i have. i am not way hardcore into the movie makin yet, so... it will do. lol

thanks BTW

Yea...poster board...not so much, maybe for a short photoshop, but the best thing to do is to get a bucket of chroma key green and paint one solid surface...lighting is the biggest challenge, and poster board is only going to make it harder.

ya but not everyone has the cash or the means to get the cloth or a real green screen but poster board is all over and super cheap so it is good for people to learn how to use a green screen so when they get a real one or the paint they can skip passed the learning stage

I have been messing with just a plastic bright green table cloth, and yes needs lots of lights and if any of you try out the plastic table cloth, its a bit see through so try to use it on a blank wall.

A great use for this green poster board (again, careful with the lights) is working with miniatures. This stuff rocks for small scale and it's easy to light with a simple work lamp or two from your local hardware store :)

As for the cloth, yes it is very much see through make sure to pin it to a wall or frame. I always recommend to keep experimenting and keep playing. This is a craft you learn by doing, while reading books is ok, experience and perseverance is everything. Have fun!

Cheers,

Kensai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back