Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Smooth-On flexible Resins

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

acdcrocks

Jr Member
Hi 405th, I was just about to start making WW2 replica weapons such as the M1 Garand, and the Moshin Nagant M28 for some starters (for a homemade film maybe in the future). I have seen some work around this website (Lee Keegan), and I was planning to make a few wooden semi-working guns from which I would cast the majority from resin or rubber. I would probably use Smooth-Cast 320 or something for the replica castings. I was hoping to cut down on costs by eliminating the silicone part of the mold, and replacing it with liquid latex. This is where I need help! Can you cast smooth cast products into latex molds??? or do you have to cast it into silicone molds strictly???

I recently watched the behind-the-scenes for Saving Private Ryan (great movie!) and when they were talking about all the rubber non-firing gun replicas, they mention making them of rubber. I am assuming that it is about as hard as a car tire (the rubber that they used) and so I found this product:

http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail.cfm?Category=Casting Resins&Name=Flex 70

So my questions are;

1) Can smooth on be cast in a latex mold?

2) Can you make a hollow gun cast in resin (to save money) & fill it with something like expanding foam?

3) Would you guys use that rubber that I posted a link to above? I want a gun that looks like the real thing, but it doesn't bend, yet it is rubber (think a very stiff dummy rubber gun).

4) Or would you guys recommend a different way of approaching this project?

Please let me know your feelings or recommendations, or whatever you have to say about this. Sorry about all the question. :)

Thanks,

Super-Ang

Super-Ang said:
Hi 405th, I was just about to start making WW2 replica weapons such as the M1 Garand, and the Moshin Nagant M28 for some starters (for a homemade film maybe in the future). I have seen some work around this website (Lee Keegan), and I was planning to make a few wooden semi-working guns from which I would cast the majority from resin or rubber. I would probably use Smooth-Cast 320 or something for the replica castings. I was hoping to cut down on costs by eliminating the silicone part of the mold, and replacing it with liquid latex. This is where I need help! Can you cast smooth cast products into latex molds??? or do you have to cast it into silicone molds strictly???

I recently watched the behind-the-scenes for Saving Private Ryan (great movie!) and when they were talking about all the rubber non-firing gun replicas, they mention making them of rubber. I am assuming that it is about as hard as a car tire (the rubber that they used) and so I found this product:

http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail.cfm?Category=Casting Resins&Name=Flex 70

So my questions are;

1) Can smooth on be cast in a latex mold?

2) Can you make a hollow gun cast in resin (to save money) & fill it with something like expanding foam?

3) Would you guys use that rubber that I posted a link to above? I want a gun that looks like the real thing, but it doesn't bend, yet it is rubber (think a very stiff dummy rubber gun).

4) Or would you guys recommend a different way of approaching this project?

Please let me know your feelings or recommendations, or whatever you have to say about this. Sorry about all the question. :)

Thanks,

Super-Ang

1)Yes

2)Yes, check Adam's AR

3)In the film industry, they use rubber props when there is a risk of, either dropping, or throwing it.

4)Take a real one ("demilitarised" (Like, cannot be made to fire) and cast it...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks LastSpartan!

Do you know what the strength of the cured smoothcast is, because these guns would be dropped, so will the smoothcast weapons crack or break? If so, do you know what kind of rubber I should use to make the "dummy guns"?

Thanks

Super-Ang

Super-Ang said:
Thanks LastSpartan!

Do you know what the strength of the cured smoothcast is, because these guns would be dropped, so will the smoothcast weapons crack or break? If so, do you know what kind of rubber I should use to make the "dummy guns"?

Thanks

Super-Ang

Smoothcast is solid, but it could chip.

It could, but really, you'd have to try hard.

Check this video :

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OujOF2COEE[/media]

Smooth-On isn't the only company by the way ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again. I have seen that video and that is what I plan on doing, except the rubber he used is extremely flimsy. I plan on using something more stiff, to the point that it is like a car-tire, but I am not sure on exactly what to get. Do you guys have any recommendations: I'm looking for something relatively cheap, and I'm hoping stiff like a car-tire/roller-blade. I have checked out this rubber:

http://www.alumilite...&Name=Flex 70

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Super-Ang

The rubber used in the video is a "70 A" Shore Hardness rubber.

In your link : "70 A". Same thing.

it may look filmsy, but if you pour casting resin inside, after the rubber has cured, it won't be flimsy anymore.

Thanks guys for the help, I guess I'll research it a bit more, and decide in the future. For now, I have the wooden guns to carve, and the clay ones to sculpt.

Thanks again,

Super-Ang

I have alumilite, both the resin and sillicone is good. Very expensive though. The resin has a very short pot life, of about 5 minutes, so mix and pour right away. The sillicone is prone to splitting on occasion though, might not be the best product.

Cool, thanks. Right now I am really leaning towards the hard rubber since its seems that it is what they use in Hollywood. I saw the post about the 70a hardness, what do you guys think would be the right hardness for a rubber gun like the ones that the extras used in Saving Private Ryan, or Band of Brothers?

Oh, also, whats the cheapest resin you guys have found online or wherever? I have found around the same prices as Smooth-On products, it doesn't seem to vary all too much.

Super-Ang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back