man it still smells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twitchfmx8811

I made my armor about 2 months ago and when it is kept in the garage its fine but if I move even just the helm inside it will still make the room smell like resin and paint. Does this happen to anyone else and is there a way to fix that on my next set of armor cause im probably just gonna get rid of this one when im done with the next set.

Well, if you're gonna get rid of it...I'll take it xP

But it sounds like you could've put too much resin on it or something. Or maybe it's too warm for it and it's softening up. I dunno just throwing it out there.

This is dumb but spray it with ysol. Makes my pad stinch go away. Do tell if ut works. or then you could always just fabreez the room

It getting warmer softening it does not make any sense. Resin dries when heated. That is why catalyst is added.

Now, for the helmet, you might have added just barely enough hardener to it and that is why it is still wet and sticky. I suggest adding another coat but this time with a little more catalyst. The paint issue can be solved with clear coat. I bought rust-oleum matte clear coat and it really takes the paint smell off.

And no dont spray it with lysol. A new study has shown that there is more stuff in your lungs that you will be shocked.

To avoid all of those other ideas (which are good) try simply putting it next to an air freshner and a fan. I did that for my bicep.

SPARTAN405 said:
It getting warmer softening it does not make any sense. Resin dries when heated. That is why catalyst is added.
Now, for the helmet, you might have added just barely enough hardener to it and that is why it is still wet and sticky. I suggest adding another coat but this time with a little more catalyst. The paint issue can be solved with clear coat. I bought rust-oleum matte clear coat and it really takes the paint smell off.
And no dont spray it with lysol. A new study has shown that there is more stuff in your lungs that you will be shocked.

I didnt know that now..thanks. Off to find another disenfectent that works..

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the exact problem you do when I messed up on the Resin/Hardener mixture and it never freaking dried so I found a way of making sure the smell is gone.

First dust some baby powder (Buy a couple since these things are so god damn useful) on a brush and brush it on the smelly resin stuff where it will mix in with the resin and form a displacement, where it will soak up the resin (It wont flake off all that easily)
Take a wire brush and just wire it off. Then spray some paint (Hopefully waterproof) onto the section you baby powdered, and spray some nice smelling stuff on it, like lysol or febreez stuff.

There you go.

I let my helmet sit in the hot sun for 2 days about 8 hours each day back when I made it, the resin smell was gone, but after painting, sitting in the sun didnt help, nothing did, only spraying lysol air refresher worked.

you just have to put this inside
sapin_magique.jpg

haha

Ok, what is sounds like is you improperly mixed your resin when you mixed it, or its too cold in the garage to allow a full curing. Since resin cures due a chemical reaction it doesnt air dry. So if its too cold in the garage since you layed the resin, it has been inhibited from curing. Hence the cold is slowing the process down. So instead of hours, its taken months.
So if you compounded the issue by mixing your resin too cold, and then left it in the cold. It could take a very long time to make the smell go away.

Try this,... we use heat lamps at work to increase the temp to a balmy 90 degrees. Provided you have enough air flow, you can recreate this using a space heater, or a shop light.
If the resin did harden, but is still tacky, you didnt mix enough catalyst in it, in which case the only thing you can do is clean off the paint (manually) an then use rubbing alcohol to scrub the enitre thing down to remove any excess uncured resin. If you use any petroluem base solvent to clean it, you wont be able to get any adhesion if you need to repair it, and any future painting wont adhere and leave fish eyes in the paint finish.

Get it cleaned up with rubbing alcohol, and get some heat on it for a few days, maybe even a week and come back to it. it should fix the problem.

If after a week and it is still tacky, or smells, youll have to redo the helmet as it wont be wearable.(fumes)

CemreTas said:
I had the exact problem you do when I messed up on the Resin/Hardener mixture and it never freaking dried so I found a way of making sure the smell is gone.

First dust some baby powder (Buy a couple since these things are so god damn useful) on a brush and brush it on the smelly resin stuff where it will mix in with the resin and form a displacement, where it will soak up the resin (It wont flake off all that easily)
Take a wire brush and just wire it off. Then spray some paint (Hopefully waterproof) onto the section you baby powdered, and spray some nice smelling stuff on it, like lysol or febreez stuff.

There you go.

Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont use Lysol or Febreeze. They say its safe to breath but its total bullcrap. It is not safe to break so do not spray it in there.

Just give it time. My armor smelled like auto paint for almost a year. Store it in a safe environment (like a garage or shed) and eventually the smell goes away.

Well actually I used to put only 4-5 drops of hardner into my full caps of resin, and it dried fast, but this was when the heat was still 70-80 degrees outside, once it started getting chilly, I started adding 12 drops and got the same effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back