Mandalorian Armour Build - W.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlebigmikey

Hello !

So i finally decided what i was going to do as my first armour build. Unless it has'nt become evident its Mandalorian Armour - much like the set worn by Boba / Jango Fett.

So far i have managed to get templates from here ( Templates courtesy of Wizard Of Flight)

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f25/updated-printable-armor-templates-various-sizes-7825/

So this thread will show my progress as well as give tips to others out there! Any suggestions please speak up - advice welcome!

Progress :

Untitled00000-29.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

> Scaled images to 97% of their original size on GIMP - Free image editing software.
> Got a homemade dummy.
> Cut templates.

I may need to re do the template due to my sudden realization that my public wearing of the suit - MAy 2013 - will mean i have grown to around 5'8" (5'6" now) , thus meaning i may need to scale the templates to 97% / 98.5%

If the WoW files don't suit try to google search for "mandalorian pepakura." I've got the files for a mando helmet, chest and ab plates, collar and back piece. Good luck with the mando build.

Good luck on your build. You can check out the Mandalorian Mercs for some advice and help. I'm working on a mandalorian suit too. What do you plan to build the armor out of?

Good luck on your build. You can check out the Mandalorian Mercs for some advice and help. I'm working on a mandalorian suit too. What do you plan to build the armor out of?

Thanks! I plan to build the armour from a foam - possibly EVA however the EVA im planing on using is about 10mm thick - At the moment im stuck on jumpsuits / flight suits really, I will/should have grown by may 2013 and i dont want to spend loads on one that i may grow out of so im going for one a few inches too big. For the helmet im going to use pepakura files.

I built mine out of pvc pipe I cut and heated to shape it to me. I built helmet from the wizard of flight template. The mercs don't allow. Foam builds for official builds I've seen one in the unofficial section. I think I'm not sure but I think you can use foam on the back of sentra or trash can plates to make them look thicker. By trash can they will take a trash can and useing the WOF templates cut out plates and heat them and shape them.

I built mine out of pvc pipe I cut and heated to shape it to me. I built helmet from the wizard of flight template. The mercs don't allow. Foam builds for official builds I've seen one in the unofficial section. I think I'm not sure but I think you can use foam on the back of sentra or trash can plates to make them look thicker. By trash can they will take a trash can and useing the WOF templates cut out plates and heat them and shape them.

Okay that sounds cool. Im too young for the Mercs anyway, even though EVA is a little thick (10mm) i think if i sanded the edges it would give a nice effect ( A thicker, more solid effect ) .

Surely those trash cans are too thin? PVC pipe, tell me more please :)

UPDATE : SO i have started pepping a Mandalorian Helmet pepakura file i found here on the 405th on sunday but school has kept me from doing loads of the helmet.

Pictures will be up soon and work will begin on the rest of the armour.

I was dumb and bought the rubies extreme edition Boba Fett. Ended up breaking everything apart, then adding fiberglass and bondo to make it look like armor and less like cheap vacuum formed plastic. Still wouldn't believe a costum club would deter members away based on the materials they used in their build. I'd say if it looks ligit and good craftsmanship is apparent let it in. Whether it be paper mache or titanium alloy plates.

I was dumb and bought the rubies extreme edition Boba Fett. Ended up breaking everything apart, then adding fiberglass and bondo to make it look like armor and less like cheap vacuum formed plastic. Still wouldn't believe a costum club would deter members away based on the materials they used in their build. I'd say if it looks ligit and good craftsmanship is apparent let it in. Whether it be paper mache or titanium alloy plates.

Yeah i totally agree with that however some limits have go to be set on materials.

Sorry I took so long to get back. As far as the hole foam thing for the mercs I don't know why they don't allow it but from what I've seen they normally have good reasons for blocking stuff. Pvc armor I like alot. I just bought a six inch diameter piece of pipe it only came in ten foot sections where I'm from. I then downloaded the. WOF templates for Jango's armor traced them on to the pipe and then used a heat gun to shape them to me and went from there.

Sorry I took so long to get back. As far as the hole foam thing for the mercs I don't know why they don't allow it but from what I've seen they normally have good reasons for blocking stuff. Pvc armor I like alot. I just bought a six inch diameter piece of pipe it only came in ten foot sections where I'm from. I then downloaded the. WOF templates for Jango's armor traced them on to the pipe and then used a heat gun to shape them to me and went from there.

Okay sounds good,, dont worry about taking ages to get back! I was thinking a similiar method with plastic but i was planning on doing an ODST costume beforehand so i think im going to use foam but thanks.

UPDATE - Finished peeping the Mandalorian helmet. (its a little too big but it looks pretty awesome)
- Need to get some bondo and fibreglass.
- Will upload photos soon!

UPDATE - Helmet images are up!!!!!

Video100000-06_zps9ddc8661.jpg

The helmet looks warped but its just the way im holding it (youll see what i mean in the next photo) .

Video200000-06_zpsf88b8921.jpg

Sorry about the quality but hey this is next to a full face mountain bike helmet.

Looks awesome! Just make sure it's braced well and it'll survive the resin and strengthening just fine. If the pep model didn't have support struts you can always hot glue dowels to it. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Looks awesome! Just make sure it's braced well and it'll survive the resin and strengthening just fine. If the pep model didn't have support struts you can always hot glue dowels to it. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Thanks! the file has support struts but I havnt put them on yet (I wanted to test how well it fits) but thanks and hopefully all will go well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back