Mandalorian Bounty Hunter (Sintra, Foam, & 3D Printed)

Dire

Sr Member
Hello! It's been a minute since I have been on the non-halo side, anyway I will be making a custom Mandalorian Bounty Hunter, my armor will take pieces from lots of sources, like I want my undersuit to be like Din Djarin's, but I want the armor to be like Jango Fett's and maybe use the ARC Troopers' "battle skirt", you know stuff like that, I'll probably just make my own pouches and belt, and still deciding on my loadout but that's the plan, and no thread is complete without a pic so here is the only full size pic I will be posting:
Screenshot_20220215-161828_Gallery.jpg

P.S. Wanting to be done by Dragon Con! Wish me luck ladies and gentleman!

If you are wanting to do Boba or Jango style plates, I will advise you against using EVA foam for them.

Boba and Jango style plates are thin, like 4 mm thin, but need to hold a convex curve, while being free floating. EVA foam is great for Halo armor, and maybe even Din's Post Imperial style plates, because they are large surface areas where multiple pieces attach to each other that allow you to hold shapes or curves. Boba and Jango style plates are unattached to each other and float free. Since they do not have a support structure to help them hold their shape, if you wanted to make them keep that shape, you would have to harden them significantly, and at that point you might as well use Styrene/Sintra/Expanded PVC Foam bard, as the cost, time, and tools are virtually the same.

If you are wanting to do Boba or Jango style plates, I will advise you against using EVA foam for them.

Boba and Jango style plates are thin, like 4 mm thin, but need to hold a convex curve, while being free floating. EVA foam is great for Halo armor, and maybe even Din's Post Imperial style plates, because they are large surface areas where multiple pieces attach to each other that allow you to hold shapes or curves. Boba and Jango style plates are unattached to each other and float free. Since they do not have a support structure to help them hold their shape, if you wanted to make them keep that shape, you would have to harden them significantly, and at that point you might as well use Styrene/Sintra/Expanded PVC Foam bard, as the cost, time, and tools are virtually the same.
So a hard thermo plastic board thing? I'll see if I can find large sheets, thank you!

So a hard thermo plastic board thing? I'll see if I can find large sheets, thank you!
Correct, a plastic sheet. Sintra is technically a brand name, and it and Styrene and ABS used to only be available from specialty plastic relators, but Home Depot and Lowes are starting to carry it if you look for Foam or Expanded PVC Sheet. You can also find it on Amazon or, if you have any local Sign shops near you, you can go there and ask them if they have any styrene or sintra scraps they are tossing or want to sell you, and you can get it it for very cheap, if not free.

Correct, a plastic sheet. Sintra is technically a brand name, and it and Styrene and ABS used to only be available from specialty plastic relators, but Home Depot and Lowes are starting to carry it if you look for Foam or Expanded PVC Sheet. You can also find it on Amazon or, if you have any local Sign shops near you, you can go there and ask them if they have any styrene or sintra scraps they are tossing or want to sell you, and you can get it it for very cheap, if not free.
I got 3 sheets today, some hard stuff, I love it, thank you!

Alright got the first part of my build, went with the Black Series Helmet, and went with the re-armored Boba Fett Helmer since it was the cheapest, I plan to fill in the hole and all the paint chips and repaint it, not sure on the colors yet, but here are some pics of the helmet with how it came.
20220220_130442.jpg20220220_130448.jpg20220220_130458.jpg20220220_130507.jpg20220220_130518.jpg20220220_130527.jpg
Also, thinking I might get a mirror tint for the visor, and get rid of the "helmet strap" in favor for some foam stuff, can't wait to customize this!

I received my 3D printed Westar 35s in yesturday from Crossfire Props, pretty good quality with fairly "thin" lines, got them all glued up today.
20220303_133648.jpg20220303_133657.jpg20220303_133704.jpg
20220303_133720.jpg
I'll use filler primer and spot putty later on in my build for this, just needed to build these to test out the holsters I am making. Later peeps!

Been a minute, i have been measuring my attachment points on my armor and my flight suit and decided to go with 5/8" heavy duty snaps, they are working great, also just have one more vambrace/gauntlet to heat form, but the rest of it is finished more or less.
20220312_050740.jpg20220312_050743.jpg20220312_050747.jpg
20220312_050750.jpg20220312_050753.jpg
I'll be measuring again today for the shoulders and the chest area, then maybe tomorrow get the thighs and knees, then I'll make my belt and "battle skirt"

This build is very cool. Would you be willing to put a little tut in the tuts section for sintra? I'm interested in working with it for later projects and I think it would be a good addition to our forum. Or maybe if a full tut is excessive just talk a little about how sintra compares to foam and other mediums you have exp with?

Also feel free to not if that's annoying of me to ask. You're just the only person I know using sintra.

This build is very cool. Would you be willing to put a little tut in the tuts section for sintra? I'm interested in working with it for later projects and I think it would be a good addition to our forum. Or maybe if a full tut is excessive just talk a little about how sintra compares to foam and other mediums you have exp with?

Also feel free to not if that's annoying of me to ask. You're just the only person I know using sintra.
I mean I could, but i don't really have the full know how, I just "wing it" and it works, somehow, but I will try to think of a good tutorial today.

I mean I could, but i don't really have the full know how, I just "wing it" and it works, somehow, but I will try to think of a good tutorial today.
Or even just a quick rundown of your tools/methods so I can get a general idea of the process would be fine. Doesn't need to be anything crazy. I just don't know anything about sintra...

I took some quick shots of my belt set i made from foam and sintra, looks pretty cool, working on the holsters (done made 3 and it was too tight) anyway the foam i will make it similate leather and the sintra will be metal (beskar?).
20220320_063624.jpg20220320_063627.jpg20220320_063630.jpg20220320_063655.jpg
And re-done the buckle to look more symmetrical so the pic isnt the actual last result.

Hello all, got all of my pouches done and rub n buff'd my belt buckles and other buckles, I'll weathered them later on, but here it is.
20220402_051242.jpg20220404_032328.jpg20220402_051249.jpg
20220402_051255.jpg
Forgot to take pics of the belt buckle pieces, but those are also done!

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back