Mandalorian Helmet Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

loue5587

Jr Member
so i peped a mandalorian helmet (skips) and when i resined it it warped every which way. how can i prevent this from happening?

any help would rock

JOLTY TacoMan said:
EDIT: woohoo! 117th post lol

lol!!! he heh...

I'd have to agree with JOLTY, probably not cardstock, or too much glue. Also, be VERY patient when building! (BTW: could you PM the link for that helmet to me? I've been looking for a mando helmet forever!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Boba Fett said:
lol!!! he heh...

I'd have to agree with JOLTY, probably not cardstock, or too much glue. Also, be VERY patient when building! (BTW: could you PM the link for that helmet to me? I've been looking for a mando helmet forever!)

you can find the files at mandalorian mercs or the dented helmet:)cant remember which one.

Boba Fett said:
lol!!! he heh...

Bevbor has a nice looking Jango/boba helmet, a sith trooper helmet from KOTOR too.

Make sure you're using heavy cardstock (I use 110lb coverstock to be extra safe) and build inner supports into your helmet before applying resin. Also it helps if you go light with your first coat of resin (really it helps if you always go light with your coats of resin) so as not to saturate/weigh down the paper.

I used chipboard on mine (chipboard is thick non-corrugated cardboard that can be found on notebooks etc.), but I used wizardofflight's templates, which is what Skip used as blueprints for the pep bucket. Posterboard also works well. If there's a print shop near you, sometimes they will cut it to printer size for free.

Here's my mando helmet from skip. I have yet to resin it because that project got put to the side, but, i know what your talking about the back is huge sections of unsupported card stock and it doesn't come with supports for that section.

0616091640-01.jpg

My idea for this problem is to bend some wire hangers into support rings for the resin step and most of the fiberglass stage then take them out when it's ridged.

I too am working on Skip's bucket (my progress thread) and I haven't ran into any problems with warping. Like a previous commenter on this thread mentioned maybe the card stock you used was not sturdy enough, for I used 110lb card stock and it came out great. Let us know if you need anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back