Marine Armour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Privateer

Ok I was going to post up a vid of the workshop and the projects I have going on but screw that I want to make something.

Sooo I figured with the marine helm soon to go into moulding i should start working on some armor to go with it.
I figured shoulders would be the best place to start so with a cardboard base and some clay this is what I came up with tonight.

P4120030.jpg

P4120033.jpg

and the finished sculpt ready for moulding total time in project 2hours 30 min cost maybe 5 bucks so far.

P4120038.jpg

P4120037.jpg

Now to talk Adam out of one of his fine H3 chest pieces. LOL

Edit: Now the long wait for the rebound to cure.

P4120040.jpg

P4120039.jpg

Cheers!

its sooooo pretty...... what tools do you use to make it that smooth i know you mentioned a feathering tool i think it was called in your video. ive googled and i havent been able to find any, is there a more specific name for it?

rachciav said:
its sooooo pretty...... what tools do you use to make it that smooth i know you mentioned a feathering tool i think it was called in your video. ive googled and i havent been able to find any, is there a more specific name for it?

I dont have a specific name for it but I know its used for pottery on a potters wheel.

Edit: Found a site that has them. I got the one I use from hobby lobby but this might help find another source.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...t%3D36%26um%3D1

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
is there anything you can't do?

edit: whoa what's that in the BG??

Yeah, I wonder if you'd be so good as to let us adopt that as the "craftsman of the month" award, somehow. Lets chat...

Adam said:
Yeah, I wonder if you'd be so good as to let us adopt that as the "craftsman of the month" award, somehow. Lets chat...

PM on the way with Phone #.

That is a sweet should peice my friend.

I have never seen that shape of a marine shoulder before, mind telling us where the design came from?

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

Thank yall for the compliments well as soon as the mother mould was dry I had to try it out. Actually Im really pleased with the results. I cast the first trial thin so as not to waste resin in case the mould crapped out and will have to thicken the rest of the cast a bit but Im happy with it.

Just a bit of flash sanding and a coat of flat paint on it.

P4130054.jpg

P4130053.jpg

Cheers!

p0rtalman said:
Nice job there Privateer! This is the shoulder for the marine pilot right?

The marine and the pilot have the same armor and uniform except for the helm, belt gear, and chestplate.
This way I can make 2 sets one for me and one for my son and they are interchangeable.

Privateer said:
I dont have a specific name for it but I know its used for pottery on a potters wheel.

Edit: Found a site that has them. I got the one I use from hobby lobby but this might help find another source.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...t%3D36%26um%3D1

Cheers!

that does help a bit, thank you! is there any specific kind you would recommend? or are they all basically the same thing

rachciav said:
that does help a bit, thank you! is there any specific kind you would recommend? or are they all basically the same thing

I would say the more flexable the better for me but each sculpter is different.

:D

Edit for update Im home todayso the next piece of the marine will be in the works by thisafternoon.
I just reclaimed about 5 lbs of old clay from previously cast sculpts by melting em down in a cheap pan and pouring them through a tea strainer. I used a foil lined bowl it looks smoother than the first batch out of the wrapper lol.

Cheers!

Sorry for the double post but its for a update I just finished the sculpts for the next piece of the marine/pilot set.

I started with some irrigation tubing for a curved base close to the same size as my arm then clayed it down to the board.

P4140067.jpg

Next I started blocking out my shape and eyeballing the size.

P4140068.jpg

Then I went at it with a knife and the infamous feathering tool to get the edges and flats smooth.

P4140070.jpg

P4140071.jpg

After I had it all smoothlike I smacked it with a hammer a couple times lol jk just pressed the ball end into it to make the indent and not disturb the edges.

P4140072.jpg

So now its in the freezer waiting silicone and Im waiting to get the little one off the bus to go pick up some cheapo allumalite silicone for a mould.

PS I also cast another shoulder and painted em to match me helm.

P4140073.jpg

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back