Mask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagex117

Jr Member
When using the fiberglass resin and liquid hardener, I need a mask right? But do I really need An Organic Vapor Respirator? Or I can just use those 3M mask?
9211.jpg

As I am new to these parts, I can't speak from experience exactly, but I have played with epoxy and the like before.

This thread shows what you really need: http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8604

I do think that the respirator link and the MSDS link are broken.

You can get the respirator at Home Depot for $30: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg2/R-100653900/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053

The reason you need a respirator with cartridge filters is that it will neutralize the toxins as well as filter them. The MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) states the following:

SECTION VI - Health Hazard Data

Route of Entry: Skin YES

Route of Entry: Ingestion YES

Route of Entry: Inhalation YES

Health Hazards - Acute and Chronic MAY CAUSE EYE AND SKIN IRRITATION. VAPORS MAY CAUSE MUCOUS MEMBRANE IRRITATION AND UPPER RESPIRATORY TRACT DISCOMFORT. REPEATED EXPOSURE TO HIGH CONCENTRATIONS OF VAPOR MAY CAUSE LIVER AND KIDNEY DAMAGE

Carcinogenity: NTP NR

Carcinogenity: IARC NR

Carcinogenity: OSHA NR

Explanation of Carcinogenity NONE

Symptoms of Overexposure [EYE] MAY CAUSE IRRITATION. LIQUID SPLASHES MAY RESULT IN MORE SERIOUS INJURIES. MAY CAUSE TEARING. [SKIN] PROLONGED - MAY CAUSE DEFATTING AND DRYNESS OF THE SKIN WITH RESULTANT IRRITAITON AND POSSIBLE DERMATITIS. STYRENE MAY ABSORBED THROUGH THE SKIN IN TOXIC AMTS. [INGEST] MAY CAUSE GASTROINTESTINAL DISTURBANCES, PAIN AND DISCOMFORT. [INHAL] VAPORS MAY CAUSE MUCOUS MEMBRANE IRRITATION AND UPPER RESPIRATORY TRACT DISCOMFORT. HEADACHE, NAUSEA, INSENSIBILITY AND OTHER CNS EFFECTS

Hope this helps.

Edit: To answer the actual question, yes you should use an organic vapor respirator.

Respiratory Protection USE NIOSH APPROVED RESPIRATORS DESIGNED TO REMOVE PARTICULATE MATTER AND ORGANIC SOLVENT VAPORS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back