Mass Effect Mantis sniper rifle (YouTube) build *(YouTube Video's)*

Status
Not open for further replies.

zigzwag

Hey, wanted to try something a little different this time around. Instead of having people look at pictures of my progression, I'd give them the option to live through the entire thing if they wanted!

Rifle: Mantis Sniper rifle from the Mass Effect series

Materials:
Eva Foam half inch and quarter inch
Balso wood
Popsicle sticks wide and narrow
PVC pipe and other pvc fittings

This build is quite a bit more simple in design then my M8 Avenger, but it had it's own unique challenges to it. Feels like I am getting faster at putting these things together too, seems to come with more experience, always open to critiques and things like that.

Based on feedback from my Facebook account, people seemed to like the build process video's, as stated above I'm open to critiques on how I can do this better... still rather new at the whole... media involvement thing.

Feel free to follow my builds on Facebook: Zigzwag Props & Armor
or on Instagram: Joseph Donald Clairmont (@zigzwagprops) • Instagram photos and videos

NOW onto the Youtube!

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

And now I can do it too! Haha. Dude, that was awesome!! I really feel like I could try my hand at a foam weapon now. I haven't finished the third video yet. But, the only critique I would have is in the first video there are long sections where you are working on the gun in your chair and we can't see. Not a big deal though. Also, maybe a speed capture of your computer screen while you're creating the template.

What material is that you heat gun around minute 8 of the second video?

And now I can do it too! Haha. Dude, that was awesome!! I really feel like I could try my hand at a foam weapon now. I haven't finished the third video yet. But, the only critique I would have is in the first video there are long sections where you are working on the gun in your chair and we can't see. Not a big deal though. Also, maybe a speed capture of your computer screen while you're creating the template.

What material is that you heat gun around minute 8 of the second video?

I am glad that these video's help in one way or another. And yeah, I did notice that about the first video. The Camera that I had mounted to a shelf above me (with cardboard and Duck tape) wasn't really angled all that good. I tried to keep the rifle more on the table in the subsequent videos! most of the time that the rifle was off the table was actually me trying to get a seam to line up or get really close to the rifle as I am sanding it down.

I am not really all that good when it comes to Cad programming. So for me, when I template something I want to build I kind of cheat... I can say this probably isn't the best way to go about this, but it works! I find a good picture of the side of the rifle, put it on my TV, scale it to the size I want (Usually trying to reference something to get the scale IE: bullet, or grip) that I have laying around from other props, then I use painters tape to tape regular printer paper on and then VERY gently I trace over the image with a pencil. The Image below, is actually a picture of the same process being used for my M8 Avenger rifle that I am building too! Once the image is taken from the screen, I then go over my traced lines with a Sharpie to clean it up.

QEuWNbP.jpg

The Material that was in the second video, when I was working on the scope mount, that is Worbla Black. It's a decent material, doesn't quite stick to itself as much as regular Worbla does, but it is also quite a bit cheaper then Worbla finest art. (Tan stuff). I use it most of the time when I want to use REALLY fine details or layering that craft foam can do too. I just find that Craft foam is a LOT easier to work with wrapped in plastic lol.

Worbla’s Black Art

Hope to see a build from you in the future!

zig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back