Math Riddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
egermann04 said:
i'm nearly positive my solution is correct it's all in the wording that makes it a bit more confusing, when it says an additional 1/3 of the pole is underwater... does that mean 1/3 of the remaining part of the pole that wasn't accounted for yet or is it 1/3 of the entire pole. if it's 1/3 of the entire pole under water then the answer would be 66

Yes your math was correct but like you said it is just the wording of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I figured it out, some holes in my idea probably but I'm not spending more than 5 minutes on it. It's kinda sketch.

Take the first row as is

The second row= 80*(last digit of above box)+(last digit of above box)

Third row is a (Do this to highest value digit and place in order, rinse and repeat?) Eh, the reason I figure is 648 and 486 have the same solution. Not really terribly important.

Last row is (solution of above box/10 and rounded to the nearest multiple of 3)

That would make the missing # 21

Of course if the question is really an iteration question with the boxes representing multiple iterations then I'll just have to quote the Venture Bros. "IGNORE ME!"

Hey, am I allowed to post this one here? I just thought it'd be fun for you all to try... if it's threadjacking, then I'll delete this post.

You will need some basic physics knowledge for this, or at least some motion equations.

A hungry velociraptor spots you from 40m away. It immediately moves in to attack, accelerating at a constant rate of 4m/s^2 to its top speed of 25m/s. You flee the moment you are spotted, instantly accelerating to your top speed of 6m/s.

a. How long will the raptor take to reach its top speed?

b. How much distance will you cover before you are caught, torn apart, and messily devoured?

c. How many seconds will it take for you to get caught, torn apart, and messily devoured?

d. Assume the moment you are spotted, you whip out a cell phone and dial 911 to call in air support. Doing so takes you five seconds, during which time your top speed is reduced to 5 m/s. The F-22 Raptor (now THERE'S some irony) will take fifteen seconds to arrive. Will you have time to complete the call? And will the jet get there in time to save you?

I've already solved these and checked with my physics teacher who verified my answers... so get cracking :p First person to get all four right gets a cookie.

Sigma-LS said:
That would make the missing # 21
I arrived at the same number, but mine is really just a guess. I'm missing the exact pattern here. Sigma, I think you're onto something but there's got to be a simpler way.

Adding each set of numbers together as though they were all individual numbers yields (Listed row by row)
(27,26,25,24)
(18,18,18,18)
(9,12,3,12)
(3,9,x,9)

I was trying to figure out if there was a pattern here, and the only thing I could think of was 3 was the missing number in this pattern. If 21 were the answer, it would fit this guess as it's numbers add to 3.

Not sure, but that's my contribution. I know when someone figures it out it'll make more sense. My brain is fried until then.

23Magnum said:
.....3 was the missing number in this pattern.

I was thinking along the same lines as you 23Magnum, and I arrived at the conclusion that it was 3 as well.

Bloodl3tt3r said:
Hey, am I allowed to post this one here? I just thought it'd be fun for you all to try... if it's threadjacking, then I'll delete this post.

You will need some basic physics knowledge for this, or at least some motion equations.

A hungry velociraptor spots you from 40m away. It immediately moves in to attack, accelerating at a constant rate of 4m/s^2 to its top speed of 25m/s. You flee the moment you are spotted, instantly accelerating to your top speed of 6m/s.

a. How long will the raptor take to reach its top speed?

b. How much distance will you cover before you are caught, torn apart, and messily devoured?

c. How many seconds will it take for you to get caught, torn apart, and messily devoured?

d. Assume the moment you are spotted, you whip out a cell phone and dial 911 to call in air support. Doing so takes you five seconds, during which time your top speed is reduced to 5 m/s. The F-22 Raptor (now THERE'S some irony) will take fifteen seconds to arrive. Will you have time to complete the call? And will the jet get there in time to save you?

I've already solved these and checked with my physics teacher who verified my answers... so get cracking :p First person to get all four right gets a cookie.

a. 6.25 seconds to reach top speed
b.37.29m
c. 6.21 seconds
d. cant complete the call and no

can i have cookie now? :]

egermann04 said:
a. 6.25 seconds to reach top speed
b.37.29m
c. 6.21 seconds
d. cant complete the call and no
can i have cookie now? :]

Yes. Good job.

[attachment=6928:CHOCOLAT...P_COOKIE.jpg]

Ok I'm back with the answer to my second riddle. If you can see, the columns are arranged the same way. You multiply the digits to get the next box below it. 9x9x9=729 9x9x8=648 so on so forth...

so, everyone, what is 2x1x0? 0!!!

Also I have another riddle.

Matt's mom has told him he needs to take a bucket of water over to their neighbor since her water is turned off to repair a leak. He doesn't want to waste too much time since he needs to get to a soccer game soon. From past experience he knows if he uses the small hose it takes 45 minutes to fill the bucket with water. He also knows that the larger hose can do the same in 30 minutes. If he uses both hoses, how long will it take him to fill the bucket?

66 feet.

1/2+1/3
\/ \/
3/6+2/6=5/6

5/6-1=1/6

1/6=11 feet

11*6=66

(my walkthrough for people who failed 3rd grade math)

vanalla said:
66 feet.

1/2+1/3
\/ \/
3/6+2/6=5/6

5/6-1=1/6

1/6=11 feet

11*6=66

(my walkthrough for people who failed 3rd grade math)
My walkthrough for the person who also failed 3rd grade math

(5/6)-1= -1/6. :p

ERADICATORofDTH said:
Ok I'm back with the answer to my second riddle. If you can see, the columns are arranged the same way. You multiply the digits to get the next box below it. 9x9x9=729 9x9x8=648 so on so forth...

so, everyone, what is 2x1x0? 0!!!
Also I have another riddle.
Well bugger.

Matt's mom has told him he needs to take a bucket of water over to their neighbor since her water is turned off to repair a leak. He doesn't want to waste too much time since he needs to get to a soccer game soon. From past experience he knows if he uses the small hose it takes 45 minutes to fill the bucket with water. He also knows that the larger hose can do the same in 30 minutes. If he uses both hoses, how long will it take him to fill the bucket?

18 mins

15 minutes is your common factor.

It takes the small hose 15 mins to fill 1/3 of the bucket, and it takes the large hose 15 mins to fill half.

1/3 + 1/2 = 5/6 of the bucket @ 15 mins for both hoses.

15 mins / 5 = 3 mins per 1/6 part

3 * 6 = 18 mins

I guess if you wanted to set it up algebraically,

x/45 + x/30 = 1

15*(x/45) + 15*(x/30) = 15*1

x/3 + x/2 = 15

2x/6 + 3x/6 = 15

5x/6 = 15

5x = 15*6

5x = 90

x = 90/5

x = 18