mawrTRON's Promotional build (Pic/Vid Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really cool build man, I especially like the scratch built mk 6 chest. I for one would definitely be interested in the contravision you mentioned as I'm trying to get that reflective orange, "Legendary" look for my visor. Anyways keep up the good work.

Update time,
So its busy season at work but I have still managed to progress on my helmet, I'm on the final filling and sanding stage at the moment before I cut the visor out and get it vacuum formed.

This is what has been done.

Rebuilt the pepakura helmet

Glassed it with Jesmonite (an odd material I must say)

began filling..

Since I have been so slack on the 405th I though it should answer these fine peoples questions.

Incredible build thusfar! Great job on the MK.VI Chest piece and the Defender helmet! Everything is just so well made, haha.

Quick question though; For your shin/ boot armor, are you using thinner EVA foam or foamies? The edges are so amazingly clean!

I am using EVA foam which I purchased from an actual foam supplier in a full sheet. It seems slightly less dense than the flooring everyone else is using and slightly easier to cut.
My edges might be cleaner than average because I work in the vinyl graphics industry.. so not only have I been using exacto and break away blades for the last 8 years... But I also have an unlimited supply of them. So I can always have a fresh sharp one. Perks of the job :)

Really cool build man, I especially like the scratch built mk 6 chest. I for one would definitely be interested in the contravision you mentioned as I'm trying to get that reflective orange, "Legendary" look for my visor. Anyways keep up the good work.

Hmm reflective orange.. maybe if you used a standard gold mirrored bike visor and then covered it with a darker orange contravision that might work. I mean you can actually print gold colour but its lustured not mirrored.. (hope that makes sense)

dude this looks amazing so far, you do excellent work mawr. What is that material your using though, it doesn't look like any foam I've seen? The way it comes out so clean and "rounded" almost looks like fondant for cakes lol.

The way I achieved the rounded sections is but cutting a 'V' in the back of certain pieces and folding them, glueing down the seem.. One thing I have been finding particularly useful is actually making each armour piece from paper then cutting it up into larger pieces. That way I can sort of work out where to put all the cuts and folds.
I am terrible at explaining things :/

I have to say that ur foam skills or superb!

Aw shucks bros..

Any way.. update pics!

Re-peped (yup its a word now) probably the best pep I have ever done.

644293_10202041448616221_1817419173_n.jpg

Solidified, Slight warpage maybe 1 - 2 mm

1391618_10202041449696248_627659791_n.jpg

And hopefully buy the time I have filled and sanded it all it should be even better than my last one.

19654_1349958627476_3986997_n.jpg

Any way wish me luck.. I have a good 2 days with the dremmel, filler and sandpaper..

Very nice work indeed!

A question about Jesmonite, though - I see you shop with MB Fibreglass, as I do, so it's good to know I can get it from there, but: are there any benefits to it over, say, standard polyester resin? Can you use it indoors without the risk of killing everyone? Since it's cold here in England right now (I'm sure you'll attest to that, what with the recent storms), I'm trying to find a viable alternative that'll let me keep working in the winter.

Very nice work indeed!

A question about Jesmonite, though - I see you shop with MB Fibreglass, as I do, so it's good to know I can get it from there, but: are there any benefits to it over, say, standard polyester resin? Can you use it indoors without the risk of killing everyone? Since it's cold here in England right now (I'm sure you'll attest to that, what with the recent storms), I'm trying to find a viable alternative that'll let me keep working in the winter.

I have never used polyester resin before. So I couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is that I used the Jesmonite in Madia Vale last week in a garage temperate ranging between say 12 - 7 C and it has dried fine, Nice and solid. But I must admit the Jesmonite came out a lot different to the polyurathane resin I have used in the past. It almost felt more like a plaster/plastic than say a surfboard. Temperature maybe?

I mean its has hardened and is very workable.

As for the storm.. twas okay, seen far more ruthless ones in New Zealand!

Ah, I see.

As I said, I tend to get most of my fibreglass products from MB Fibreglass' eBay store. I use their Polylite and Polycraft polyester resins - they're absolutely great in the warm weather, especially when you get the ratios for product and catalyst right, but as I said, I'm looking for a viable 'indoors-friendly' winter alternative. So, just as a base, these are my main concerns:

- Does it produce a nasty smell (particularly one that lingers)? Could one use it in, say, the kitchen, if one cleaned up well?
- What's the work time with a properly-mixed, properly-measured batch?
- How hard and heavy are the finished pieces?

Ah, I see.

As I said, I tend to get most of my fibreglass products from MB Fibreglass' eBay store. I use their Polylite and Polycraft polyester resins - they're absolutely great in the warm weather, especially when you get the ratios for product and catalyst right, but as I said, I'm looking for a viable 'indoors-friendly' winter alternative. So, just as a base, these are my main concerns:

- Does it produce a nasty smell (particularly one that lingers)? Could one use it in, say, the kitchen, if one cleaned up well?
- What's the work time with a properly-mixed, properly-measured batch?
- How hard and heavy are the finished pieces?

Smell, virtually none (smells like water based paint)
Work time 10 minutes
Weight heavier than polyester maybe 25%

That's absolutely great to know. As soon as funds permit I'll be getting a kit of this stuff - after some discussion with my work partner we've decided to use Jesmonite to harden at least the inside of the work. Whether or not we find it viable for the external detail has to be decided.

That's absolutely great to know. As soon as funds permit I'll be getting a kit of this stuff - after some discussion with my work partner we've decided to use Jesmonite to harden at least the inside of the work. Whether or not we find it viable for the external detail has to be decided.

Ha hopefully see you at comicon or euro gamer.....next year (hopefully)

Ha hopefully see you at comicon or euro gamer.....next year (hopefully)

We'll see. I have a lot of work to do before then, and I tend to move at a rather.... 'exacting' pace. I'd like to turn up to a con and fly the 405th's colours, though - if there's call for it and enough 405thers turn up to UK cons there's every chance we could make the 'Excalibur Company' dream a reality.

Before all of that happens, though, the Finance Gods have to look favourably upon me :p

Well Euro millions is £80 mil this week!! HAha and whats 'excalibur Company' sounds hella tight.

As for the 405th flag I was actually thinking maybe make a pistol with a 405th CTF style flag as we can print flags at work...

Well Euro millions is £80 mil this week!! HAha and whats 'excalibur Company' sounds hella tight.

As for the 405th flag I was actually thinking maybe make a pistol with a 405th CTF style flag as we can print flags at work...

Sorry for D/P but I thought I'd better tack on some progress pics!! still got alot of sanding and filling for the helmet to do yet :/
1454785_10202142739428428_1662680292_n.jpg

999409_10202142742388502_1377948672_n.jpg

whats 'excalibur Company' sounds hella tight.

The initial idea was to divide the 405th up by location. Each area would have had been designated as its own company within the overall Division. England had been slated to become 'Excalibur Company', America would have been divided up with four Companies (North, South, East and West), but we hadn't gotten further with the proposal before the forum began to fragment. I'm drafting a revision to try and revive the idea, so once I have a solid proposal together I'll be sure to inform you and post it.

If that's true, I'd be happy to throw the flag designs your way and have one printed for myself. I have access to the game textures and was thinking of fabricating a flag on my sewing machine.

On the other side: I got some Jesmonite but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. From the looks of it, however, it seems to be a really good resin substitute. Thanks for the suggestion.

Update/3rd page Bumpage

So I have actually been working on my helmet. And I have some update pics.

I is mostly sanded with a few details added. I have also sharpied in where I intend to use the dremmel to carve out line details in the helmet. Which should hopefully happen this week if I can pinch the dremmel from work.

1476721_10202376756278703_226534960_n.jpg

1472965_10202376757718739_1223287328_n.jpg

I also managed to get the visor material printed and have tried a piece on a old pair of sunglasses I found. I think it will work just fine for a solid red visor..

1486859_10202376758518759_629910760_n.jpg

1476331_10202376759278778_763487286_n.jpg

Hopefully I will get a coat of primer on before I go to the USA on the 20th...

It's looking great, sorry no posts, have been offline for a while, it's really looking like it's coming together, keep it up ;)

-Seth

So I have actually been working on my suit. I managed to prime the helmet and add the the visor.

I couldn't find someone to vacuum form so I used a heat gun and a tshirt to form the 3mm Acrylic sheet around my helmet. I then applied the one way graphic over the top... It actually came out surprising well.

Here are the pictures.. Thoughts? I might reprint the red one way graphic to make it a few shades lighter.

1461554_10202430572864084_898898046_n.jpg
1525229_10202430573624103_1221670591_n.jpg

1013241_10202769142808121_1110249907_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back