Maximus Gladiator Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUSTINIAN 117

I recently came across this file, and had to build it right away.

This is what it looked like in the movie:
gladiator.jpg

My first model was scaled too big:
Gladiator1.jpg

My second one was scaled too small:
Gladiator2.jpg

The next one was scaled just right. Here it is after the Resin was brushed on the outside:
Gladiator3-1.jpg

Here is the inside after the fiberglass was done:
Gladiator4.jpg

A coat of rondo on the inside:
Gladiator5.jpg

A coat of rondo on the outside:
Gladiator6.jpg

After a few hours of sanding a a few coats of bondo here it is perfectly smooth:
Gladiator7.jpg

Here it is with the top spike thing smooth:
Gladiator8.jpg

Gladiator9.jpg

More to come later.

Wow...That is some really nice Rondo/bondo Work. It came out looking great. I can't wait to see how this comes out.

Thanks, Thorn.

I made a silicone caulking mold for the spikes on the back, and I molded all of them this morning out of bondo:
Gladiator11-1.jpg

I made the base part of the face and the nose and glued it to the helmet:
Gladiator12.jpg

I cut out a piece of plastic in the outline of the eyebrows, and then bent it and built up bondo and shaped them. Here they are with the spikes and the forehead:
Gladiator13.jpg

I've been waiting for someone to do this one for so long!
It looks flawless! Great work!
Wow, how do you get your bondo so damn clean and smooth?

Wow, this is looking great so far! I've been considering making this helmet myself. Nice job on the spikes, definitely better than Pepping them. Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing this finished. :)

Thanks guys. To get it as smooth as I like I just take my time and sand for an hour, then cover it with another layer of bondo and sand for another hour. I start out with 60 grit sand paper with a porter cable electric sander, to get it to the right shape and smoothnes. Then I switch to 120 grit, to feather it out. Then I spray some primer, to see what else needs to be fixed, and I repeat the whole process until it looks perfect.

Thats too cool Justinian, excellent job on the sanding too bro. It looks like it's shaping up very nicely.

Here are the eyebrows on the helmet:

Gladiator14.jpg

I cut the "fangs" out of plastic and beveled the edge, and bent it to the right shape. I also started to cut out the ear parts:
Gladiator15.jpg

It is coming out pretty well:
Gladiator16.jpg

You're right man, it is turning out very well. Keep up the fantastic work.

After detail sanding all day I have another update.
Gladiator17.jpg

For the "bolts" that go on the side of the helmet I cut a circle out of plastic and gave it a domed edge with bondo, and then laser engraved the detail:
Gladiator18.jpg

Here is the helmet after the final sand, with the spikes:
Gladiator19.jpg

Gladiator20.jpg

Here is the final primer:
Gladiator21.jpg

Gladiator22.jpg

Gladiator23.jpg

I should be able to do the paint tomorrow after I pick out a color.

that is amazing man, fantastic!!!! btw i really want the model for that helmet and it would be great if you could post a link to the file =D well great job man and can't wait to see it completely finished =D keep up the great work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back