MDF Halo Reach Assault Rifle (with reflex sights!)

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by NetherCraft, Jan 13, 2016.

1. NetherCraft

NetherCraft New Member

So this is my first thread, I've already built a reach pistol from MDF and I believe it it time to start something bigger:
    It will be a reach AR that has removable top so it can swap from normal to flat top with sights! Thanks for watching, build photos will be up this weekend.

Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 5.49.04 PM.png <------> HaloReach_-_MA37 (1).png

2. ODST Stryder

ODST Stryder

Sounds like a challenge. We'll be watching!

3. Mesh

Mesh

Sounds great, best of luck

4. NetherCraft

NetherCraft New Member

Thanks bros! this means a lot to me being a new recruit.:lol

5. Jme

Jme

I'll be watching your build to get ideas for when I finally build a rifle!

"I'm just a witness"

6. MikyVengeance

MikyVengeance

Cool idea, I am currently working on an MDF assault rifle using a sliced file. Check out my thread for some photos!

7. NetherCraft

NetherCraft New Member

Ok so I have made a diagram for the electronics, it is kind of crappy so I don't know whether you'll understand it, but here it is: button is from old nerf gun and leds from my Christmas lights.
    Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 8.50.08 AM.png

8. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Nothing wrong w/ the diagram. Even if it is total illegible to others, so long as you understand it and use it to make a finished product that you like.......the rest is all gravy....

9. Jme

Jme

Makes sense to me.

"I'm just a witness"

10. ArmoredAmir

ArmoredAmir

Sounds like you have a great plan going for it! I made a Halo Reach Assault Rifle as well. Except I used the nerf recon as a body and then hot glued a bunch of MDF to it haha.

Excited to see how your build goes!

11. Jme

Jme

Did I see a recent thread on that Amir? Not to hijack the thread but I was wondering how heavy the nerf gun is after modification?

Also wondering the same about your gun NetherCraft?

I want to be able to attach the rifle to my back with magnets and am leaning toward a foam build.

"I'm just a witness"

12. NetherCraft

NetherCraft New Member

no problem bro, loved your ar!

13. NetherCraft

NetherCraft New Member

BTW today is friday! real excited for tommorow

14. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Why is that? Other than it being Saturday.....?

Mesh likes this.
  15. NetherCraft

NetherCraft New Member

Cus i start work today, but unfortunately, I HURT MY DARN WRIST AND CANNOT START UNTIL TUESDAY! ARRRGGH!!!!!!!!!:angry
    But when I start I am basically going to do exactly what lost viking did. (But with less detail! LOL!)

16. NetherCraft

NetherCraft New Member

Real sorry for the double post but here are some progress photos of my template making since I can't cut cus of my wrist:
    IMG_0924.JPG IMG_0918.JPG

17. NetherCraft

NetherCraft New Member

Hey guys, my wrist suddenly got better! but it was halfway through the day. Cut out my template and glue together with wood glue. Grip bevel with angle on my scroll saw then finish off with a rotary tool. Gonna sand it nice and smooth tomorrow. Stay tuned for the upper receiver and mag!
    IMG_0925.JPG IMG_0926.JPG IMG_0927.JPG

ArmoredAmir and kaween like this.
  18. kaween

kaween

Looks promising ! I'm following this one up close as I'm looking for a light-weight stand-in of my CB88/MA-5C.
    The one I was contemplating to duplicate till now would have been far more expensive in terms of materials used and a lot more labor-intensive too (full-metal build on artmoviefan.net).
    I've also found 3D-Printer files for this one, so even if I wouldn't try to emulate your build, it still can provide me with a lot of ideas (like the conversion idea ! loved that).

Looking forward to your progress, be careful with that wrist of yours !

19. NetherCraft

NetherCraft New Member

thanks bro did some more cleaning up on the grip with the dremel and made some templates. Only got photos of the templates, sorry:
    IMG_0929.JPG

20. Mesh

Mesh

woah nice, very promising

21. NetherCraft

NetherCraft New Member

IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0993.JPG IMG_0994.JPG IMG_0995.JPG IMG_0996.JPG IMG_0997.JPG IMG_0999.JPG IMG_1001.JPG IMG_1004.JPG IMG_1005.JPG

Attached Files:

ArmoredAmir and Mesh like this.
  22. kaween

kaween

It's strange how instantly recognisable a couple of wood pieces become when combined the right way.
    And as it stands, this _is_ the right way. :)
    How's the wrist ?

Just out of curiosity, how much time have you put into the project so far ?

23. ArmoredAmir

ArmoredAmir

Its coming along really well! I can't wait to see the end product!

24. NetherCraft

NetherCraft New Member

Thanks dudes! Isn't it great how a little noob like me can get noticed? BTW my wrist was a repetitive stress injury. It makes a worrying cracking sound whenever I move it.

25. Ckesner

Ckesner New Member

Looking really good. I'm getting a new cnc router delivered to the office soon, I may try something along this route. I like the idea of having a little weight to the thing, even if it does get heavy walking around with it. I'll be watching to see how you finish. Good luck with the wrist.