Mdf Weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.

oggers

hi all
ive been thinking about making prop halo weapons from mdf (i think theres been another thread on mdf wepons too) that will be machined out, and possibly selling them on ebay or at markets or whatever. i just wanted to know what you all thought about how they look. i havent made any halo wepons yet, but heres some pics of a different gun i made about a year ago. my halo ones will be more detailed and ill post some pics later his week.
let me know what you think!

MDF - Medium Density Fiberboard. Kinda like plywood but denser. An excellent material to use in making props or workbenches.

MDF is pretty cheap compared to other woods. And DON'T get it wet! It'll swell up like a stack of cardboard!

ill be adding more detail to my finished one, and ill paint it too. im working on a BR which will probably be done by wednesday/thursday. im planning on a moving slide, trigger and removable magazine too.
im pretty sure you can resin MDF or put whatever on it, but its pretty hard as it is (think pine)

I don't think I'd use resin. Just go with the primer and paint. Might have to put some resin on a scrap piece this weekend just to see what it does.

here it is, fresh off the router table. it basically turned out ok, but the small components i wanted for the inside will need some reshaping. might make them out of plastic next time.
not yet painted, and havent added trigger or bolt yet. i think itll look pretty good when its done tho
screw selling them too, theyre too much effort to make

This is a very interesting process. It's hard to tell how it will turn out from the progress, but i'd love to see.

Assult rifle is done! i'm very pleased with this one, so here's some pretty pictures of both rifles. they both have a sprung trigger, moving slides that snap foward, and the AR has a removable magazine (which i find too small. Anyone know how big the BR and AR mags are?)
As you can see i'm not tying for true to life, rather something that is quick and cheap to make, but still looks pretty cool.

Anywho, tell me what your thoughts are. i'm liking how they look

Also, I've pickd up some MDF primer and spray paints so they'll be painted and finished tomorrow.

Hey, these are awesome! Slather a nice paintjob and fill in the lines with black and they'd be even more spectacular.

Just out of curiosity though, are you planning on rounding out some of the edges to make them look less...angular and flat (such as the barrel area)?. Although you are looking for something not totally true to game, I think rounding out some areas may give them a nice look. Just my two cents.

Great work nonetheless!

Ixius

thanks! yeah i think rounding out some areas would make them look better too. the machine i'using though takes a long time to do work in 3d, even if its as simple as a cylander.

heres pics of the AR painted and glued (i'm yet to add a few little details). i think it turned out nicely. have a look.

And vióla, the battle rifle, painted and glued. thinking of taking these to the local markets. i wonder if theyll sell...
next to come will be a shotgun and magnum, so i can do the whole pointing-them-at-arms-length-in-either-direction shtick.
gonna use a gun metal grey instead of silver too.

Those are awesome, man! I've worked with MDF before - good stuff! Very easy to work with, and it takes both bondo and shellac very well! So I don't see why resin would do any harm if it takes shellac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back