Metal Armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With my mechwork, I've traced pepakura templates onto metal roof flashing and pop-riveted everything together. Doing all the tabs is a bit tedious, and you need to cover up the sharp edges.

fullstand.jpg

I've made a metal helmet too. I traced out pep templates on steel, cut them out and welded them together. You can smooth it out a bit with a hammer, but unless you do a lot of forming, you'll have some edges, but they're not too noticable. For tools I'd recommend at least a fluxcore welder, an angle grinder, tin snips and some hammers.

All I can do is recommend aluminum. Steel would be way heavy, and depending on the type you use, I don't know if it would be cosplay anymore.

An interesting idea that I literally just thought of is making the armor out of casting foam instead of EVA, and then pour molten aluminum into the mold and out pops the helmet pieces.

Casting aluminium would be quite heavy too. I made my helmet from 0.75mm steel and after grinding, it came out to 2.5kg, which is heavy, but still wearable. Aluminium is about 2.5 times lighter, so unless you can cast it 2mm thick, it would be heavier. Aluminium would allow you to use thicker material though so you can grind it more before making a hole. I chose steel because I can't weld aluminium, but it depends on the tools you have.

Casting sheet does sound tough. Casting might work for some parts but not all of them. I found this video about connecting aluminum with a brazing rod. Personally, I would try applying an EVA template to aluminum sheets and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back