MigilVigil

Hello everyone. It’s been a long time since I’ve posted here. I put down my Metal ODST project for a while but now I’m at a position where I can begin again. I feel the proper thing to do is go big and make it worth while not only for myself but for everyone I’ve shared with. I’m currently making the helmet, replacing the old resin one I’ve had for so long. This will be challenging to say the least but I’ve picked up a lot of knowledge and skill working on medieval armor during my break. I’m very confident it can be done now.

The helmet will be out of .090, .125, and .063 aluminum for the majority of the build. Currently I’m working on the top dome shape, dishing and shaping my panels and welding them in place. I will try to update this post as much as I can meanwhile I’m filming a build video too.

I’m so glad to see the community still thrive and bring us all together. Good to be back ❤️

Attachments

• A035B2BC-1E1D-4711-8092-45B941A723DD.png
    A035B2BC-1E1D-4711-8092-45B941A723DD.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 166
  • 482579B1-395A-49EF-AE29-8340C3E7F403.jpeg
    482579B1-395A-49EF-AE29-8340C3E7F403.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 160
Top dome shape almost done. This is just a little mock-up of the paper templates to make sure I’m within dimensions on Pepakura and that everything is going to fit together properly. So far so good! It always looks rough in the early stages, LOTS of welding on this. Not my most spectacular tigging but looks don’t matter since it’s all ground down in the end and I know it’ll all hold up. Inside seams are welded solid and outside seams will be reinforced after I’ve added the detail panels. Gonna be stout.

Attachments

• 63F5EF72-48B2-4D8C-9F2F-3DD86D858866.jpeg
    63F5EF72-48B2-4D8C-9F2F-3DD86D858866.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
Looks good mate! If you don’t mind my asking, what thickness of metal are you using for it?

Looks good mate! If you don’t mind my asking, what thickness of metal are you using for it?
Most of this build will be .090 aluminum. It’s light, still has good thickness, and easy to pound curves on. Tho it’s very unforgiving because it’ll warp from welding very easily so I have to stay ontop of keeping everything square and symmetric. Also staying within dimensions.

Mock up of side vent parts. I like to test fit with tape and that helps keep it in place so I can tack it on before full weld. Still some minor adjustments until I commit and attach them but so far it’s looking good. All the sharpie lines you see are where my panels are going to go and give the helmet more depth rather than cutting all those lines in by hand. The panels will also reinforce my weld seams to make sure everything is solid. Still much more to go!!
37F5380C-7964-4E1E-9821-4A37DC89E3A9.jpeg

Lookin' awesome and welcome back! Your Youtube videos were a big motivator for me to jump into the 405th myself (your nerf AR one helped me a ton) so it's great to see that you're still with it. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Got the shell of it done pretty much. Don’t think I’ll need anymore welding. So now it’s time to glue on all the panel layers and detail work. I use Sika fast glue at my work, it’s an insanely strong industrial glue and it’s perfect for when welding isn’t ideal or possible. Like I said before, adding the panels will help reinforce my weld seams and make this as strong as it can be. Plus I’ve got to cut out the vent holes, ontop of other minor details I want to include. Hard to believe I’m at this point already but I ain’t slowing down anytime soon!
40AF6869-461D-4BFA-93E8-082676A5E422.jpeg
08FE719E-FB23-4DCF-84B6-DF98687FC3E8.jpeg

This looks so good! Do you plan on making a full metal suit too or just the helmet? Either way, this is great stuff!

This is for a metal suit I’m currently building. I already have the chest, shoulders, gauntlets, and upper legs done. I just got tired of using a resin helmet for metal armor lol
Oh sick! I thought this was the start. I didn't know there was already more lol

Adding those wonderful panels ontop. This step is surprisingly more tedious than the welding parts. Still a bunch of cleanup work too, I see quite a few spots that need some attention. If some areas are too goofy, it’s a good thing bondo exists
268C0C24-85B1-41A7-BF7E-1629AF7D9E7A.png

Attachments

• 553B33BC-1F75-4640-B61B-1ECC304AECC1.png
    553B33BC-1F75-4640-B61B-1ECC304AECC1.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 86
This is looking absolutely sick. Have you posted the other pieces on here yet? I'd love to get a look at everything you've made so far, if not. Regardless, keep it up, can't wait to see the whole suit together!

EDIT: I'm blind, saw the other threads now... nevermind :lol:

So close to finishing. Just need to add the panels on the front face, cut the vent details, and some other really tiny tiny additions that’ll really sell this. Tomorrow I should have vents done and next week I’ll be onto finishing the face.View attachment 332517
You got me and my friend into ODST cosplay! My friend's training to be a welder and made his shoulder plate out of steel, but we learned about the Xcoser helmets from you and have been glad to use them! It's so cool to see you make the helmet out of metal too!

You got me and my friend into ODST cosplay! My friend's training to be a welder and made his shoulder plate out of steel, but we learned about the Xcoser helmets from you and have been glad to use them! It's so cool to see you make the helmet out of metal too!
That’s freaking awesome. The Xcoser helmets are great and do their job well, I just needed something more for my kit. Recently I’ve dabbled in making medieval armor out of stainless steel for a new learning curve and to experiment, so hearing your buddy making ODST from steel is most impressive. That’s a whole other animal

This thread is more than 9 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back