Metal Suit of Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warmachine655

I am starting to make my own custom suit of armor, its not armor from anything in particular, just my own design, i have all the steel ordered , and soon ill be forming, welding,riveting, and such, I wanted to know in particular if anybody had any tips on making a motorized faceplate that opens and shuts with a button push, so if anybody has any information on that or other electronic advice because after i am done putting the suit together ill be putting LED's in it, also im figuring that the suit is going to be pretty heavy so ill be articulating the elbows with hydraulic springs, the kind you find on your cars trunk that help to lift the trunk open,
thats pretty much it
hopefully i will start posting pics soon we will see how it goes

wow well good luck sounds like you have your work cut out for you, and for the motorized faceplate look on youtube some guy made one for a iron man helmet so you might be able to ask him what he used and adapt it for yours

I am starting to make my own custom suit of armor, its not armor from anything in particular, just my own design, i have all the steel ordered , and soon ill be forming, welding,riveting, and such, I wanted to know in particular if anybody had any tips on making a motorized faceplate that opens and shuts with a button push, so if anybody has any information on that or other electronic advice because after i am done putting the suit together ill be putting LED's in it, also im figuring that the suit is going to be pretty heavy so ill be articulating the elbows with hydraulic springs, the kind you find on your cars trunk that help to lift the trunk open,
thats pretty much it

Ooo cant wait to check this out! Have you seen the guy who built a metal MC suit?

As for a motorised faceplate, if you check out the Ironman faceplate mechanism (not sure of where but there are multiple forums that should have it), it should serve well. If there is too much weight, add another servo and/or increase the servo torque and it should be fine.

Cheers.

This shouldn't be too much work as I work as a metalworker and a welder well more specifically a foundry-man, so its just normal stuff. and yeah I saw the guys videos on youtube with the ironman helmet i messaged him and he didn't reply to me. ill def look around on various forums though, thanks for the advice. I managed to salvage a shield from a commercial soup kettle and i welded some brackets onto it, hopefully ill have pictures up soon, my camera is currently down. my steel still hasnt arrived,

sounds cool but would it be practical to walk around in? Is that even what you're planning to do with it? Also yeah there's that guy who did the motorised face plate for his iron man suit. Practically the best suit i've ever seen

You should wear kevlar for the undersuit and then you could actually withstand (some) gunfire haha. Good luck looking forward to seeing more on this one.

thats pretty much it

May I aks what armor you will build?

sounds cool but would it be practical to walk around in? Is that even what you're planning to do with it? Also yeah there's that guy who did the motorised face plate for his iron man suit. Practically the best suit i've ever seen

If my design works it should be practical to walk around in, i am going to use hydraulic springs at the joints to make it easier to move in because they should take some of the weight while bending knees , elbows, etc. and yeah i have seen his armor its pretty ridiculous

yeah my steel is backordered so right now i am just working on the shield and collection of random parts, when my camera is up and running again ill share some pics

I might have missed it in a post somewhere, but what type of metal are you using for this? Are you picking up metal sheeting from somewhere? or just using scraps of whatever you can get your hands on?

I am using sheet steel (mild, cold rolled) that i ordered from a small shop, unfortunatley this guy is backed up with orders right now so it might be a while ( like a weekish) unstil i get my sheet, and i am going to be using a variety of gauges from 22-14, but i am also using scraps mainly for embelishments and such . so the bulk of the armor will be sheet but i am using odds and ends that i salvaged. I found a commercial soup kettle that has some pretty neat parts on it and its all nice pretty stainless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back