Metal/weld Armor Creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armor Plated

So, here is my plan. I have ALOT of metal, thin to thick, in which I can no longer use for anything that is under stress. So, I have decided I am going to give a go and make a suit with metal (and detail it the whole way, of course). I think a good plan to start would be to transfer the details from the papukura (SP?) onto thin sheets of aluminum and make a base model from that easy to fold, some strength). I understand this is probably one of the hardest routes to do something like this, but I have the time and Im bored. :)

Any ideas would be great, as long as they arnt saying "go molding or paper, dont use metal". I already expect the suit to weigh in around 40+ lbs, but other than running it over with a steamroller, it wont be damaged.

Oh and good luck to everyone doing their projects, I wish you fast dries and first tries.

A.P. said:
So, here is my plan. I have ALOT of metal, thin to thick, in which I can no longer use for anything that is under stress. So, I have decided I am going to give a go and make a suit with metal (and detail it the whole way, of course). I think a good plan to start would be to transfer the details from the papukura (SP?) onto thin sheets of aluminum and make a base model from that easy to fold, some strength). I understand this is probably one of the hardest routes to do something like this, but I have the time and Im bored. :)

Any ideas would be great, as long as they arnt saying "go molding or paper, dont use metal". I already expect the suit to weigh in around 40+ lbs, but other than running it over with a steamroller, it wont be damaged.

Oh and good luck to everyone doing their projects, I wish you fast dries and first tries.

Well I have no advise except to say you might want to think hard on this before you start. I'm not trying to dissuade you in any way if you do it that's great. But I work with metal everyday, build custom paneling etc for HotRods and custom cars every day. I would not do this unless I had absolutly nothing to do for the next 6 months or really needed it to be metal for a purpose. You also have to remember your thin metal my be hardened or will work harden quickly when bending it so plan carefully. Good Luck. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
He has used thinner metal than i was going to have on the finished suit, or at least planned on.. said his suit is 46lbs, so now im looking at around 56-62lbs of armor. This is gonna either succeed tremendously or fly like a brick swims. Oh well, off to printing and brain storming!

If anyone has some HD pictures (all angles would be great, i.e. front, back, left, right, overhead, and offset overheads) of MC or know of a website that has them, it would help with the planning of everything i need to build/fab for the suit.

Right now, im printing the HD MC helmet in pep and going to mock it up, to scale (thanks to the thread: http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1804 and the folks that made it happen).

Ill post pictures as soon as possible.

Good luck. I'll watch this.

Might I recommend you print the Peps to paper and use aerosol glue spray on the metal then stick the paper to the stock. If you are not going to use a CNC then this and any cutter small enough will do. If you are blow-torching then use transfer paper and iron the ink to the metal or use an etching compound like used on glass along with the paper or vinyl Peps to the stock.

Word of warning... if any tabs are used with welding or any rivet connections remember that the thickness no matter how slight will add to hieght of the material and thus the length of items over distance. I have a work around for that which is not just welding edge to edge but not sure how feasible. Or rather any of this advice could be crap. Oh well. hehe

dude this will be epic best of luck you'll probably need it lol

(definitly wtching this)

Ok, so far, i have the PEP printed and coming nicely while cutting. I have some 18ga sheet metal that i am going to score and slice the pieces for the thin metal mock up, once the pep is completed (for sizing) I should have some pictures up in the next 2-3 days of the Pep, if i can get enough space in the shed for the fans/workspace.

If the pep goes well and is sized right, should be a few days after that until the metal mock up is done. *Crosses fingers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back