Might Quit Makin My Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

levi123

:unsure :( i did a little bit of my armor like i finished my chest and fore arms and the rest of the armor printed out but wat i need is spray paint ,body filler ,more resin ,cardstock and a new printer and im broke so if you can give me tips of wat i can do i might redo everything

Progress pics`?

pepakura isn't quite as ...um... effective without a printer I must say...

But how about you load the scaled pep files to MS Word, and go to a copy shop, tell the guys you want it printed on THAT cardstock and do it. migh be a little more epensive but at least it works.

Also, you gotta be really sure you want to do this. its an extremely time and moneyconsuming hobby. with only one helmet nearly and one handplate done I already spend hundrets (including mashines)

If you are sure you want to spend your time it is totally worth saving on it.

If you just wanna do it... kinda unconcentrated with the TV running, its not worth spending.

You gotta put your heart in that

Take a break. Trust me, it'll help a lot. And expect to spend more money than you think you will, I thought my armor would cost around $100, but I'm getting close to $200, especially if I need to buy more resin.

Get a job. Unless you still get pocket money from your parents or whoever and thats funding your armour, you need to find a job. You will find that after the first few paychecks, if you save 10% of each paycheck for your armour, you will have the cash on no time (depending on how you work-half time or full time, and how many days a week). The other 90%, I would put it in the bank for schooling, a car, a house and whatever you need for when you get into the world.

It can be very overwhelming and disheartening when you run out of materials and money. If you truly love what you are doing and want to see this thru to completion you just have to be patient. Do what you can to earn money and bit by bit purchase what you need. There is no race to finish, enjoy the process as there is MUCH to learn along the way.

I can feel you. I ran out of money before I could buy resin and fiberglass. It's not htat bad though, because now I can work on modifying the pep files and getting exact proportions. I can pay more attention to the small things earlier on than I would if I was hustling to resin and glass what I have so far. Just be patient. I started a month or so ago, but I don't intend to finish probably in a year. After that, I will never be satisfied with what I have and I will always be trying to add more and more. It's going to be expensive and it's going to take a while!! :unsure

I can understand the desire to want to finish armor in time for a party or a convention but I fully understand that it will be impossible for me to do that. So, I take my time. I work on it when I can and don't let it bother me so much when I'm dying to work on it. Take your time man, don't get frustrated because if you try to rush it, it possibly won't be as good as you'd like it to be.

sorry one more thing, lol, like everbody here is saying u really gotta wanna do this, alslo be patient, take your time, you got all the time in the world if ur young, which i think u are cuz u would have a job, but anyway, what im doing is.. well i have no money right now either, but i am slowly getting money and every cent i make rent now is being saved to buy resin and fiberglass and paint, cuz right now, all i got is the cardstock and glue, so the main this is to just take your time, nobodies rushing you, and dont worry ull finish ur armor ;)

and plus my dad dosent like the smell of the fiberglass but ill just be patient probably next year or so so i can get all the materials i need like bondo

levi123 said:
and plus my dad dosent like the smell of the fiberglass but ill just be patient probably next year or so so i can get all the materials i need like bondo

ya its like 100$ so ya take a break do it with cardboard then paper mache

Last edited by a moderator:
I must admit, this isn't as easy as it looks. I look around the forums, and at all the skill of the 405th members. But learn from them, it's true this will be time consuming and will take alot of effort. I tried using Pep myself and got discouraged from the difficulty (I started out with HD models) so I switched to using modeling clay as my platform for design. Just don't allow yourself to get discouraged ... if one way seems too hard, switch methods. Don't let the lack of a cash flow hinder you as well (Trust me, I have more bills than I wish I had) so my flow is more of a trickle. Soon enough you'll have a completed suit displayed for all to see, with not only the admiration of the 405th, but possibly with questions to your methods teaching others that come after you as well. Just hang in there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back