Mjolnir Mk VI Helmet Visor and/or Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamikazePigeon

Hi all!

I'm kind of a noob at Halo costuming. I'm kind of curious as to how one would go about constructing/shaping a visor for the Mark VI Mjolnir Helmet.

Thanks in advance,

KamikazePigeon

IMG_20160110_134341 (1).jpg

Hello !

There are a couple of pretty nice guides about that floating around, but I was already very pleased using 2 gold colored motor cycle visors and dremeling out the needed cutout.
The visebility remained very good, even in the areas where you get 2 visors over each other. Here's mine -still a work in progress and it needs some extra detailing-.

Like what kaween said, use two motorcycle visors. You could also just use one and the visor would look just fine.

For my visor, it's custom made and it fits my helmet perfectly. The vacuum forming process takes a little more time but the results can be amazing.

DSCN1473 HD.jpg DSCN1539 RESIZED.jpg DSCN1574 RESIZED.jpg DSCN1569 RESIZED.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had thought about vaccu-forming the visor, but I'd also thought about how I would tint the visor itself. How would I go about doing that?

for Vacuum Forming Machine here a couple of useful vid from Punished Prop to make and use a Vaccum forming machine

I tried transparant worbla myself only recently for a totally different project where I needed a complex look-through part. While it does form nicely, it distorts vision to a (for me at least) unacceptable degree.
Thus it all depends on what you expect or need, but I can't imagine myself walking around with something like that for prolonged periods of time.

Yeah, or you can try some transparent sheets, that are thinner, like worbla or others. :)
In this thread we talked about it and a fellow member just tried and it works too - http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=46305
It's almost like vacuum-forming, but rather just heat-forming. XD But for both - you need to make yourself a form.
kaween - Did it just distort or may you have used too much heat it formed bubbles and other stuff?

kaween - Did it just distort or may you have used too much heat it formed bubbles and other stuff?

Jak się masz, Marawuff ? :D (Polish roots. Still understand the language, but speaking is a b*tch and reading has degenerated to pre-school levels).

No, it didn't bubble too much, it just distorted the view to an extend that made it unusable for anything else than creating light-ports.
Thankfully, that's also where I needed it for, but I was playing with the idea of using it for complex visors and such as the workflow is so much simpler than starting out with vacuum-forming.

Mind you, this was my first try at it so I may have botched it up somehow and better results are possible but it didn't come close to what I'd want to look through when putting on a helmet.

Jak się masz, Marawuff ? :D (Polish roots. Still understand the language, but speaking is a b*tch and reading has degenerated to pre-school levels).

No, it didn't bubble too much, it just distorted the view to an extend that made it unusable for anything else than creating light-ports.
Thankfully, that's also where I needed it for, but I was playing with the idea of using it for complex visors and such as the workflow is so much simpler than starting out with vacuum-forming.

Mind you, this was my first try at it so I may have botched it up somehow and better results are possible but it didn't come close to what I'd want to look through when putting on a helmet.

Nice to hear! :D Well, Polish IS a hard language. xD

Yeah, I feel ya... :/ I tried today forming visor with worbla and well... it got FUBAR. I dunno if it's all the sheets or just mine, but mine was already VERY distorted and had stripes... After forming the visor it got much more distorted and it was impossible to see... So, if I ever do a stormtrooper I'll be sure to use this for the visor there, so I'll miss everything and will run into walls. xD
So yeah... It's bit weird, it says "transparent" so I thought it'd be alright... until it arrived and I've seen how distorted it is. :/ I might use it for LEDs though. xD

I have a constant reminder in our house regarding the Polish language. My wife will look at me with eyes like "how on earth can you utter so many consonants and so little vowels in just one word" ?

About the worbla ... somehow I'm glad it's not just me.
Yes, the worbla looked more like "warpedblah" to me to begin with, but in an attack of unfounded optimism I thought it would become better after processing it.

Yeah right. :(. As said, I needed it for some light ports so it wasn't the end of the world but even that left me with a bit of a bad taste as I could've achieved that much cheaper with other materials.
In fact, the only thing it made me do is to push me into 3D printers and vacuum forming somewhat more.
Talked a bit with Mrs. and as I did not get nor want anything for Christmas, she has given me the green light to proceed in that direction.
So there you have it, failing is sometimes the best thing you can do.

Off topic : As for your Stormtrooper comment : to be politically correct I'd have to say "oh that's not very nice" but yes, I agree and it would explain a lot. :D

shooting.jpg
... probably everybody knows that one, but I still feel it's funny.

When I go looking at hardware stores and online stores for the plastic I need, what should I be looking for?

I also agree about the transparent worbla. I tried using it for a Mandalorian Helmet and it failed miserably...:unsure

When I go looking at hardware stores and online stores for the plastic I need, what should I be looking for?

I also agree about the transparent worbla. I tried using it for a Mandalorian Helmet and it failed miserably...:unsure

You mean for vacuum forming ?
Afaik, its some kind of PET, called PET-G or PETG.

PS : Marawuff expressed her concerns about heating that stuff up in the same oven you'd prepare your food in. My wife's a chemical engineer specialized in research concerning the influence of plastics and rubbers on food and medicin, and she said Mara's concerns are well-founded.

Although PET is being used for food and drinks and is considered to be safe at room temperatures, it DOES migrate/"leak" if you want. And the degree of this "leaking" rises with the temperature. Hence you should take Marawuff's concerns about PET materials seriously and use a specific oven which you will NOT use for food purposes afterwards.

You mean for vacuum forming ?
Afaik, its some kind of PET, called PET-G or PETG.

PS : Marawuff expressed her concerns about heating that stuff up in the same oven you'd prepare your food in. My wife's a chemical engineer specialized in research concerning the influence of plastics and rubbers on food and medicin, and she said Mara's concerns are well-founded.

Although PET is being used for food and drinks and is considered to be safe at room temperatures, it DOES migrate/"leak" if you want. And the degree of this "leaking" rises with the temperature. Hence you should take Marawuff's concerns about PET materials seriously and use a specific oven which you will NOT use for food purposes afterwards.

Duly noted...:)

Another quick question. What if I wanted the visor to be mirrored orange instead of the dulled orange-gold color, but still have it be the same shape as the vaccu-form pull?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back