Mk Vi Thigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaloGoddess

After some close inspecting, (after working on my own thigh piece) I noticed something that stopped me from progressing on my thigh pieces to my hayabusa costume. I wanted to look to see what the back of the thigh piece looked like so that I could make it pretty accurate, but then I noticed that the pep model is slightly off.

Yeah, I have a bad habit of paying very close attention to detail. I think it's part of being an artist? I don't know. Anyway, here are the pictures I wish to share:

r0yssz.jpg
alsuhs.jpg

*Please note that I am NOT referring to the little buckle!!!*

Do you see what I am talking about now? The picture on the left is the MK VI HD model by crackhead09. I don't know if anybody has ever really noticed this before, but since I remember seeing the back of the thigh in my halo encyclopedia, I knew that there was some little black piece and I wanted to mark it on my own thigh piece. That was when I noticed the slight difference on the thigh. Then there is also that little detail area on the back at the very bottom. Not sure if that would be too much work to have modeled since it might just be good to cut that part out and add something flexible there so that you can bend your knee better. :p

I don't think it should be too much work, but is it possible to model the thigh to look more like that actual version? Since it IS crackhead's model, I wonder if he should be the one to do it?? :eek Or maybe someone else could get his permission to modify the file?

Either way, if the thigh gets remodeled, I MIGHT want to go ahead and redo my thigh pieces so that they are a little more accurate. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
those are things that the creators fix with bondo sanding dremels and creativity, the modelers leave out some of the tougher to pep details purely as a favor to peppers. I'm positive that with a little painters tape as a guide, a dremel, and some small clips you can match the in game detail with ease

You have to remember that the pep, is only the basic building block of the final construction (it's like the frame of a wooden house compared to the exterior). It does not need to be uber detailed. The cardstock itself is unsuitable for small details (given the difficulty of the folding of smaller parts). The details can be added using bondo (car body filler), and those can be refined until you have what you want.

If you have the facilities to do it, you may want to try casting those detail pieces. That way both thighs will be the same.

I love how there are <30 post members criticizing a >500 post veteran's thinking of detail.:p I have btw noticed that as well, i can try to remodel it if you like. Those details can't be any more difficult to pep than the back pieces of the MKVI torso. has anybody noticed on the front part of the thigh, right by the knee, that the black/grey part there isn't undersuit? it is a part of the thigh.
blink.gif

playdohlord said:
I love how there are <30 post members criticizing a >500 post veteran's thinking of detail.

I love how one automatically becomes skilled and cunning when having a high post count.

playdohlord said:
I love how there are <30 post members criticizing a >500 post veteran's thinking of detail.

Nice way to make a first impression on some folks! :rolleyes

Hellfire is correct though, and to be perfectly honest I don't really see the point in worrying about an area of the armor which would pretty much go unnoticed by everyone.

While I admit I am relatively new to this forum and my postcount may still be quite low, I have read multiple threads on pepakura, and I have a fairly good understanding of the required procedure mainly thanks to the tutorials and points previously made by senior members. I stand by my original point, and its validity. Acehigh is quite correct, postcount does not equate ability, and I would hope that regardless of postcount, I would always be able to ask my fellow forum members for advice.

its not really a noticeable thing, like said you could just edit it after building. although i agree with doing as much detail as possible in pep (not insane though, like my odst helm lol) to reduce the bondo work. i would do the modification for you (prefer to just build a new one) but seeing as i screwed up with the busa twice on time and a few other things ill stay out of this lol.

I do see the validity of Hellfire's point, and i was just saying that i migh remodel it for those who like detailed peps. And Hellfire, you can always ask members for advice and give it, i was making a remark, not saying that you are *ahem* noobish.:D

playdohlord said:
I do see the validity of Hellfire's point, and i was just saying that i migh remodel it for those who like detailed peps.

I am sure there will be those that would appriciate your effort.

playdohlord said:
And Hellfire, you can always ask members for advice and give it, i was making a remark, not saying that you are *ahem* noobish.:D

Thanks ;)

With all due respect to all the advice posted here, I don't believe HaloGoddess was talking about adding the little black piece in the pep model. In studying that piece, she noticed there was irregularity to the existing model, and was asking of her fellow 405thers agreed that a new model (or a rework) may be needed.

I'm way too detail oriented too, so I did the same for crackhead09's shin. Remodeled some portions, and after getting crackhead's permission, the model will be published, well, in a few hours.

If Crackhead09 agreed again, I could push those details around so they match the reference.

Kinda what I was thinking. Not so much the black piece, but more the shape of that entire piece around the hip area.

Not taking anything away from the modeler, mind you... ;)

Nicktendo said:
With all due respect to all the advice posted here, I don't believe HaloGoddess was talking about adding the little black piece in the pep model. In studying that piece, she noticed there was irregularity to the existing model, and was asking of her fellow 405thers agreed that a new model (or a rework) may be needed.

I'm way too detail oriented too, so I did the same for crackhead09's shin. Remodeled some portions, and after getting crackhead's permission, the model will be published, well, in a few hours.

If Crackhead09 agreed again, I could push those details around so they match the reference.

Nicktendo said:

YES!!! Thank you! That is exactly what I am talking about. I am NOT referring to the little buckle. I am referring to the angle area. If you notice on the pep, the angle is too small and it's not right. I can't believe that people were missing that. :eek Like I said, I have a bad habit of paying VERY close attention to detail and I guess it's just all part of being an artist. I can be pretty picky about my drawings as well. :p

I agree that it is a little off on the buckle area. I think the detail you are looking at in the small of the knee though may in fact be part of the undersuit, with the plating just opening in an upside down U shape showing the undersuit detail. I could very well be wrong as well, but as far as body mechanics go, if that part weren't softer/more flexible right behind the knee, when MC crouches down it would dislocate his knee and make his ligaments tear.

My advice: Fix it with Bondo. The paper's detail will be completely lost when you get to the hardening stage, but it can be reclaimed when carving out the Bondo. Just detail it to be like the real thing.

The detail there most likely won't be lost as long as you don't put 10 layers of resin on it. It's just an angle, that is there in the original model but just a little lower that it should be. Definitely not a bondo fix.

Jay123way said:
The detail there most likely won't be lost as long as you don't put 10 layers of resin on it. It's just an angle, that is there in the original model but just a little lower that it should be. Definitely not a bondo fix.

Exactly! It's NOT a bondo fix and everybody keeps thinking I am referring to the buckle when I even posted uder the pictures that I am NOT talking about the buckle!!! OMG!! Why can't people see the difference in what I am talking about!? It drives me crazy! XD

Before I speak, I feel I must justify myself. Take note of my post count. Thank you. :p

Anyways, I agree about that angle not being a bondo fix. That would be extremely tedious and annoying to try to create, especially when trying to make the thighs symmetrical.

HaloGoddess said:
YES!!! Thank you! That is exactly what I am talking about. I am NOT referring to the little buckle. I am referring to the angle area. If you notice on the pep, the angle is too small and it's not right. I can't believe that people were missing that. :eek Like I said, I have a bad habit of paying VERY close attention to detail and I guess it's just all part of being an artist. I can be pretty picky about my drawings as well. :p

Yeah I agree. Everyone here seems to take it for detail missing but really it is an inaccuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back