Mkvi Helm Update - Almost Finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinigamiNG

Okay, a bit of an update. I Bondoed and sanded to my hearts consent, then started painting. As of these pics, I've already added a little more silver paint for detail and battle damage effects. I'll post those pretty soon. I just wanted to know what people thought of it so far. I'll be glassing the chest piece either a little later today or tomorrow depending on how much time I've got.

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

By the way, this picture ^^^^ makes it look a little crooked. It is leaning over to the right and it may be off by a little, but the picture makes it look a lot worse than it really is.

IMG_0402.jpg

And there you go, last one for now. What do you guys think?

I think you could do alot more to make the helmet look better. It looks like you just sanded off a layer of bondo and painted it.

Stick with it, your this far already, make it the best that you can.

Actually I did sand it multiple times. But I left some imperfections on purpose. I think it gives the helmet a "battle-damaged" look. I actually like it more than a perfectly smooth helmet, to me, they look kind of fake for a warrior. I got it as smooth as I wanted it, then went from there. And since this is my first helm ever, and I'm only testing out all of the different processes that go into building one, I didn't want to make it perfect. I've never pepped, resined, fiberglassed, bondoed, or painted anything like this before. I've also only done one wiring project before this. So basically I was just seeing if I could actually do it. And with all of the materials being so cheap, its not a waste for me.

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but no one seems to understand that. This is just a test piece. And I really like how its turned out so far. I am going to make another helm eventually, once I get some more time. I'll probably do a High-def model. But I did this low-def as a test, to see if it was actually a feasable project for me to complete a whole suit of armor this way.

So if people would please stop telling me to re-do it, or that I didn't bondo it right. I already know this. Thats why I posted it in my original posts for this. I knew I didn't bondo it perfectly. I wasn't trying to. This is just a test piece.

Well man if your happy with it I guess that's all that matters, For your first go it looks pretty straight and solid, I understand what you mean about not sanding it smooth trying to get a certain look, it's not the approach I would go with no offense, But I have seen worse, So you should be proud of yourself and if you keep going they'll only get better.

Wrathchild said:
Well man if your happy with it I guess that's all that matters, For your first go it looks pretty straight and solid, I understand what you mean about not sanding it smooth trying to get a certain look, it's not the approach I would go with no offense, But I have seen worse, So you should be proud of yourself and if you keep going they'll only get better.

Thank you. At least you understand where I'm coming from. and I completely understand that most people want a perfectly smooth helmet. I'll want one eventually yes. But for a starting test helm, I wouldn't want to waste the time and effort. I know with more practice, I'll get better at it. In this particular piece, I wanted this look. I wanted it to look rough and chipped. I wanted it to look more like it had seen battle.

Besides lol, I'll probably wear this when I go airsofting sometime. I'd hate to take a perfect helm out there to get shot up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back