Mold Making Tutorial

Adam

Community Founder

Good for new guys getting into mold making and casting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xavier

where im at doesnt allow youtube, but ill definatly check this out once i get home, thanks for the tut adam!

Aeyon

Wait, to make the item that you put the molding stuff around, do you have to make it yourself??

M562

Jr Member
I dont think so, I belive it's from a certain freeman company. Theres more vids of this guy explaining, but those are posted with another account which is freemanhq I believe.

Ssyn

Jr Member
Adam, I love you.
In a completely heterosexual way.
>.>
<.<
Or not.
Whichever way you prefer.
Thanks!

rvb18

hey adam would it work if i bot lots of the hobby cast then make a box lay my chest armor then pure lots of rubber that way all i do is make another box for the jacket?

Ral Partha

Sr Member
{§¶}swordsman57 said:
do you think i can make it from somthing cardbored. ;)
Technically, you can after preparing your model for molding (reinforcing, it, moisture-proofing it, etc.). However, given the cost of silicone rubber, your cardboard model better be near perfect. The video in the OP is from HobbyCast and they sell a kilo (2.2 lbs) of silicone rubber for about $35. You're probably gonna need more than a kilo of that stuff. Click on the link to see why this hobby gets very pricey really quick.

If you intend to do some molding later, I suggest that you make your models using pepakura at the start.

NZTK

Search for videos by "Brick in the Yard" on youtube, they do some really good tutorials on quite a large variety of mould making and fx make up methods

basementbob

hi guys, im a newb here, but i plan on making a set of armor of my own!
anyhow
i wanted to know, can someone just simply make a mold for like the whole helmate?
i know it would be like a 3 piece mold, but who cares, it would be sooooo worth it
and also about the chest piece, and the rest
cause i think after i make mine, i will make some for my friends aswell
seems like a nice profit!

azn stryker

infinity spartan said:
thanks alot adam this was realy helpfull! :D :) :) :)
i just have one simple question, they demonstrate in the video with a already pre-made flower object which they used to create the mold........i have no amour suit to make a mold from....and if i already had a suit premade, why would i want to make another mold of it? thus how can i get started (i know for a helmet you can use clay to design it then to use it as the object for molding), i presume that pepakura would work....i've already done that...but won't the mold box be ginormous? and wouldn't placing a paper pepakura suit in mold possibly damage the integrity of the suit since there is no support (if you get what i mean)? i'm just really worried because i dn't have a lot of time on my hands as a student and have no room for redoing work. i thanks alot.
and if possible if you have answers could you email me back at tujustu@gmail.com thanks.

Astarith

Jr Member
If you wanted to make a mold from your suit you have created you would simply have to create a support frame for the pieces. When making a large object mold it would be better to do a brush on mold like dragonskin or similar, then make a hard backing to support the thinner flexible mold.

There is a lot more to it, but not going to cover the entire process in a single post! The idea is to create an object with all the detail and corrections you want..then mold it to make a light weight strong single piece from it. So yes you do need something to mold from.

azn stryker

Astarith said:
If you wanted to make a mold from your suit you have created you would simply have to create a support frame for the pieces. When making a large object mold it would be better to do a brush on mold like dragonskin or similar, then make a hard backing to support the thinner flexible mold.

There is a lot more to it, but not going to cover the entire process in a single post! The idea is to create an object with all the detail and corrections you want..then mold it to make a light weight strong single piece from it. So yes you do need something to mold from.
thanks for the help thus far...so i just wanted to clarify...(i'm srry that i'm nubish)...when mixing the different stuff...i can just "paint" it on the pepakura? 0_0 i did my first helmet quite a while ago, and it got totally warped and such..but i've learned alot from that. the difference i seen from molding and resin is that molding looks a heck more realistic(less shiney).

i'm just really confused as to how all the pros knew exactly how to do it all since i can't find any threads that give direct instructions as to what steps to take before other steps...etc.

if any body could point me toward a thread it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

:::edit:::
i just was researchin the intarweb and i found BlueRealm's video on the tube. got a pretty good idea about this whole thing except for one part....how much clay do i need? and what would be a good support column to build the clay suit on?
i couldn't find how long it took bluerealm to build his suit but what would you predict it to be and how much $$ do you guys think it costed? i have a year till next halloween (today is 11/2/08) to build a suit. do you think it is viable? thx again.

gbaromman

rvb18 said:
hey adam would it work if i bot lots of the hobby cast then make a box lay my chest armor then pure lots of rubber that way all i do is make another box for the jacket?
id make a rubber crotch piece semmes like it wont rub to much i heard it rubs alot and can be irratating