Morning Dawn Recreation (WIP) MA5C Scaled Correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doom

Well, couple months ago, Early June sometime I received a little present from a friend, it happened to be some model extractions from the Halo 3 Beta. But unfournatley I left home to go see my older brothers graduation, a week or two later when I got back I hadn't thought about the Halo 3 chief I had recently received because I was too busy catching up with my brother and hanging out with him since he was back home (after being away for close to 9 months). Didn't use the computer to much and then eventually left for vacation to Australia in late July. I finally got home around September 4th to find my computer had crashed(somehow) whilst I was away. NOW, a LONG time Later I FINALLY got my computer back up and running properly. I sat down yesterday and was going through all my stuff that I had recovered from my crashed computer and came across my Chief file and variations. Right away I jumped in and rigged him up for animation and posing for renders. Rigging took about and hour and turned out pretty nice. I am going to try to attempt the Shaders for the beast tomorrow (or possibly today) so I can get him looking up to snuff.

Decided on a first scene I wanted to do, The Emotion/Morning Dawn scene found on the cover of the Halo 3 case. I figured it would be pretty fun to make my own version of the scene. So I started the general positioning of everything about and hour ago and its coming along pretty good, everything is just in a rough but general position right now. Still need to size my MA5C a bit and finish up its shaders(Bump, Spec, Reflections, etc etc ...). Also, ignore the lights, they are not final or anything, just there to make it look a bit better :p.

Suggestions or Comments on it would be great, because right now its looking a bit funny to me o_O .

Update, Fixed the MA5C, Now its sized about right...
morningdawn5qp0.jpg

Update, Fixed the legs, now its correct...
morningdawn4ys5.jpg

Update, Just threw a Diffuse map on so you guys can see whats going on :p.
morningdawn2oq4.jpg

morningdawn1xi4.jpg

Thanks,

-Doom

feel free to dismiss anything I say b/c I know zero about comp animation, but from an art admirer's view...

the helmet looks a little small - looks head size not helmet on head size
the thighs look strangely smooth - maybe this detail is textured on
right forearm and handplate lacking detail - again maybe textured on
left bicep plate blends into arm too well - maybe just lighting
seems like alot of exposed underarmor between deltoid plate and shoulder of chest armor - that is prob just me

And this is just a thought of mine but I would like to see the weapons scaled down to the egronomics of a UNSC marine and therefore look slightly toy-like in the big paws of the MC (my sense of reality can be a pain in the butt sometimes) - but of course I might change my mind if I saw it.

hope I wasn't too far off with my comments

-dwoo

dwoo said:
feel free to dismiss anything I say b/c I know zero about comp animation, but from an art admirer's view...

the helmet looks a little small - looks head size not helmet on head size
the thighs look strangely smooth - maybe this detail is textured on
right forearm and handplate lacking detail - again maybe textured on
left bicep plate blends into arm too well - maybe just lighting
seems like alot of exposed underarmor between deltoid plate and shoulder of chest armor - that is prob just me

And this is just a thought of mine but I would like to see the weapons scaled down to the egronomics of a UNSC marine and therefore look slightly toy-like in the big paws of the MC (my sense of reality can be a pain in the butt sometimes) - but of course I might change my mind if I saw it.

hope I wasn't too far off with my comments

-dwoo

Can't Crit the model, It's Bungies, :p Their fault if the heads to small. I did do minor touchups and detailing, but nothing major, Twas a Direct Rip so its what you see is what was ingame. It will look better once I have the texture and bump on to fill in most of the extra detail. Bicep, its just the lighting, once the texture is on it will be easy to define what is what.

As for the MA5C, I wouldn't be suprised if it is to big, but this is based off of the size of the MA5C on the Morning Dawn Poster / Halo 3 Game Case.

Thanks,

-Doom

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job, doom, the pose looks about dead-on. There are some minor anatomy issues, but if that's the ingame model I guess you can't do much bout that.

That will look pretty slick when it's finished!

Alright, Just updated, Threw on a diffuse so it's a bit nicer to look at.

It finaly hit me that its the feet that are looking really weird :eek:. I gotta fix them, they look a bit, err odd.

As for the MA5C, I realized I need to scale it down a bit also.

-Doom

I like it doom.
I'll make you some scenary sometime in Maya if you want.

Can you give him a funny pose?
Please?

Sarge Christi said:
I like it doom.
I'll make you some scenary sometime in Maya if you want.

Can you give him a funny pose?
Please?

Haha, will do, you should have seen the unfinished Community Picture I made awhile back though. Never got finished and never will. It was when we were a much smaller community. I can't fit 1600 spartans on my computer this time round :(.

I FINALY FINALY FIXED THE FEET O.O ... Thanks to my friends sharp eye he figured out I had the feet way wrong.

Updated Pic:

morningdawn4ys5.jpg

-Doom

Sorry to bring back your old thread Doom, but what program do you use? 3DS Max? or Maya?

And where you learned? like on tutorials sites?

LastSpartan said:
Sorry to bring back your old thread Doom, but what program do you use? 3DS Max? or Maya?
And where you learned? like on tutorials sites?

im pretty sure he uses 3DS, but hes not done i dont think, so looking for an update!

dwoo doesn't know the magic of bump/normal mapping :D
I found the halo2 model. Haven't found the halo3 model, yet..
Oh and I'm a Maya user as well.

I really havn't had much time to work on the scene much, Sorry guys. :(

I have been working on the shaders to try to get it to look right. Got all the beta perms working and switchable. It's entirely rigged up and ready to go, so I think I will start working on the Emotion scene soon.

A little something for you guys to look at.

eva1ck9.jpg

recon1qj3.jpg

As for programs, I use 3ds Max 8 for all of my stuff. I am trying out Max 2008's trial right now if that helps any :p. Might upgrade to that sooner or later.

-Doom

Edit: Almost forgot you LS :p, Most of the stuff I did learn by myself, but there are some things I learned via tutorials. Ill get into those maybe once you know what you are doing first ;-).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back