Motivation, or the lack thereof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon all,

So I hadn't seen this topic in a thread anywhere and I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but thought this would do.

So I am partway through a project of mine and I seem to have hit a motivational plateau in my work. But its more than just lack of motivation I think. I just feels like its not looking how I picture it in my mind, that I cant seem to put my vision into reality. Shapes not right, paint isn't how I want it etc. Also after seeing heaps of awesome projects on here and such I must admit I am envious of your guys achievements, there are some impressive projects out there that I could only dream of making myself. So I assume that these thoughts and problems must have occurred to you fine people at some point. So instead of wallowing in my own self-pity, I am here to be showered in all your wisdom :D

Lay it on me <3
Regards
JD

Well, I'm not particularly experienced myself. But you really have one of two options, either continue pushing through, or take a break. There's an argument to be made for both. Personally, I prefer to take a break. Take a week and don't touch it at all, then come back to it with fresh eyes and mind. You'll likely find your perspective on some aspects will have improved, and you'll have a more clear idea of exactly how to improve what still bothers you.

Oh yeah, that's understandable. It's easy to lose motivation when it feels like we're not making something that we feel isn't as good as someone's work, or when it just doesn't turn out looking like we wanted to in general. But that's just how we get better. If we lose motivation and give up, we're never going to learn what we did wrong and what we did right.

That said, keeping yourself motivated is pretty hard sometimes. I've lost motivation on several projects over the past few years and that's been that. My advice would be to take a break when you lost motivation, and just think about whether or not your project in particular is something that you want to keep working on. If you're forcing yourself to work on something you don't like, then it's not likely going to turn out good.

So just take some time and think about it. If you want to keep working on it, then go for it. If you think it's not worth the effort anymore, then don't force yourself to work on it.

The greatest wisdom I can offer is to get a notebook.

A notebook is a wonderful thing to have since you can plan ahead for your build, make shopping lists for materials, sketch out parts or just brainstorm. I have a small Moleskine or Field Notes book on me at all times that I use to plan out my crafting week and sketch out the next few steps in whatever build is in the works.

Stuck in a meeting and need a way to keep focus? Notebook.
On a bus for 20 minutes? Notebook.
Waiting for resin/paint/glue to cure? Notebook.

I'm not trying to sell stationery, I just really like having a pad of paper in my jacket pocket and it helps keep my thoughts in line if everything is written down and planned out.

My motivation comes in several forms. I do find that when I am in my own little work space, I forget about things around me. This tells me subconsciously that I am enjoying what I am doing. So there is that.

If I am not happy with the way a piece is coming out, I scrap it before I get to involved in it. I would rather start over than try to "fix" something I am not happy with. If I still can't get it right, I put the tools down and walk away from it from the rest of the day (or longer if needed). Trust me, I have done this on more than one occasion.

I also created a separate Facebook page for my builds that I never published. At each and every step of my build, I take pictures and before I head to bed, I either upload them to the album I created for that project or create an album for that specific project. To date, I have 7-8 albums already and good or bad, the pics go in it. As the days turn to weeks, weeks to months, and so on, I will go back and look at some of my first attempts and the realization hits me that I am indeed getting better at this. Perhaps one day, when I feel my work is up to par, I will publish it, but until then, I use it for motivational progression. I have yet to go to a Con and am building the more simple DFT type armor, but to see how far I have come since I started to where I am now, is motivation to push forward.

I do post a few pics on my personal page and when I run into people I know, they are astonished at how I am able to take flat pieces of foam and form things from it. Again, that is motivation for me to keep practicing and to make it better.

To close, I see some of the absolutely amazing work that other members of this site have achieved and aspire to emulate their talents. To be perfectly honest, I am hesitant about attending a Con where anyone on the site may be attending for the simple fact that their armor (IMO) looks SOOO much better, but it motivates me to try to get to that level.

That, and my kids think it is the coolest thing I have ever done.

Hey everyone, thanks for the awesome feedback, and that thread that was linked was pretty much what I was looking for but couldn't find :D

I appreciate the sense of community that the 405th embellish, makes me feel a lot better knowing that I can always ask for help here and someone will reply :)

Thanks for the help, found this quote too which I think embodies the whole idea here.
"Motivation comes to those who have the balls to start without it"

Have a productive day everyone :)
Love you all <3

JD

Have you given it some time, maybe shifted to another project? I find my motivation wavers and try to get it back by playing source material or just taking a break! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back