Mroreo123's Halo Reach / Frankenstein Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
SupermanExtreme1 said:
can your pepping be any cleaner? jeez man. you make me look like a shmuck here

awesome work.

Hey man, I look up to your work, so that means a lot.

pooper said:
Looking good there Hero! :)

Thanks! How are your builds coming along?

Rhinoc said:
Yo, hope you didnt make shins yet cause I just released some. tell me what you think.

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24441&st=0&p=393380&fromsearch=1&#entry393380

I think it looks pretty nice. Unless I run into major problems, I think I'll stick with the MkIV shins though. I just really like how intricate they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
MrOreo123 said:
I think it looks pretty nice. Unless I run into major problems, I think I'll stick with the MkIV shins though. I just really like how intricate they are.

At least can you make a smooth unfold???

I would really appreciate it :)

MrOreo123 said:
Thanks! How are your builds coming along?

They're coming along slowly, but surely. I'm putting together the odst kit I got from sean, so that's going good. Also working on the details of my Lt. Reach helmet with cardboard and custom pep pieces from scratch, and will pep the torso soon. The rest of the suit is going to be from the odst suit kit, seeing how it's going to be the same grey color. Also want to tackle lex's Emile helmet (which I'm going to wear with my reach torso and odst suit), and a Predator BIO. It's too cold here to bondo, so I'm just pepping now.

I hope I'm not giving myself too much to do. :)

But anyway, I'm excited to see how you're suit going to look. :)

Alex spartan177 said:
At least can you make a smooth unfold???

I would really appreciate it :)

I'll do that, since I made it. I dont want to put a hold on Mr Oreo's build. It'll be up tomorrow.

Looks awsome!

The concepts/blueprints you made look great:)

Its rele weird and kinda funny because while i was looking for Reach armour today i was thinking about combining different Halo armour pieces together XD

Keep it up :D

Hey all. I just wanted to post a little progress I made on my armor. Sadly, my progress made is not proportional to the time I've been away, but that's neither here nor there.

I tweaked Rundown's torso model to better fit my body (took reference photos of myself, used them as background images in Blender, and moved some geometry around to follow my body's shape better). I also pulled in the pecks area so they don't stick out so much like man-boobs, which makes the armor less accurate, but hopefully gives me better arm mobility (the MkVI pecks stuck out so much, it made it hard to reach across my chest). And since direct-from-pep slush casting is my preferred method of pep-reinforcement, I also sealed the neck, arm, and waist holes in the model to make it easier to slush the smooth cast.

IMG_8078.jpg

I also "recently" got a Craftrobo which helped speed up my pepping immensely, but the quickest way to score the fold lines is to perforate the folds on the same pass as the cuts. As such, I was worried the perfs would allow the smooth cast to leak out of a million tiny holes, so I sprayed on some filler primer to hopefully seal all the tiny gaps at all the folds. Apparently, this worked, because I had minimal leaks. What little oozed out should be pretty easy to fix. I roughly dremmeled out all the neck, arm, and waist holes.

IMG_8160.jpg
IMG_8161.jpg

I also smooth cast my Noble 6 Reach helm and trimmed the neck hole for that too.

IMG_8162.jpg

Made some more progress: More trimming, rough sanded, and quick coat of black primer. I really like the stealthy matte black/gray look, so I might end up using this black primer as the final color. Thoughts?

I hung everything up on a spare light stand I had:

IMG_8163.jpg

Awesome work Bro :)

We missed you!!! and as you can see, Ruze created a Reach File thread, so start unfolding. lol
JK JK but there are a lot of good files so you can use for your build :)

Hey Hero. Where did you buy your Craftrobo? I'm thinking about buying one myself.

Hey Hero. Where did you buy your Craftrobo? I'm thinking about buying one myself.

I got mine from an Amazon merchant. Not the same one I got it from, but this other vendor here has it for $205 (I got mine for $215). Oh, and in the US, it's called a Silhouette SD, but it's literally the same thing as a Craft Robo. It even came with Craft Robo drivers and software, so don't worry about the name.

do you have any tips on sizing the chest?

And YAY another person with a craft robo. they certainly are a growing trend

Honestly: tape measure. Don't bother with scaling factors. And since your proportions for height/width/depth probably won't be the same as a Spartan, you'll have to take your best guess as far as which measurement to go by (height or width or somewhere in between). Hopefully, I won't have the proportion problem because I actually scaled the model to fit some front and side photos of myself. We'll see if it was worth the effort.

Thanks! Just bought it! Was it hard to configure for pepakura cutting? Can it cut the really small, intricate pieces?

You'll have to rearrange the pieces for most if not all your pep files. The minimum cutting margins are much larger than what most people make their margins. I would also recommend you change the tab angles to the most shallow Pep Designer will allow (30* I think) because it twists the blade to go around corners. Most corners of sufficient size turn out fine regardless, but it's the small pieces it'll have trouble with. Changing the angle seems to help in most of those rare cases.

I would also recommend that you avoid putting any parts deep into the corners. The Craft Robo uses registration marks which are L-shaped corners at the cutting margins. If you put any pieces near them, they confuse the scanner when it tries to read them.

Well.. maybe like this.. and this.. and this..
lgim0001x.jpg
lgim0037.jpg
lgim0035.jpg
lgim0031t.jpg

if you need it, i could take more pic with better quality

BTW: Thanks Rhinoc for the model

@Shaymin Sky
The Silhouette SD is EXACTLY the same as a Craft Robo CC330-20. It just has a different name for the US market. So whatever the Craft Robo can do, the Silhouette can do--including Pep Viewer f/ Craft Robo. They didn't even bother to re-brand the software/drivers it came with, because most of them still say Craft Robo.

awesome man, thanks for the advice! I will definitely look into that when I get it next week.

You'll have to rearrange the pieces for most if not all your pep files. The minimum cutting margins are much larger than what most people make their margins. I would also recommend you change the tab angles to the most shallow Pep Designer will allow (30* I think) because it twists the blade to go around corners. Most corners of sufficient size turn out fine regardless, but it's the small pieces it'll have trouble with. Changing the angle seems to help in most of those rare cases.

I would also recommend that you avoid putting any parts deep into the corners. The Craft Robo uses registration marks which are L-shaped corners at the cutting margins. If you put any pieces near them, they confuse the scanner when it tries to read them.

IMG_8364.jpg

Slight progress: I cut my chest in half and came up with a new(?) way to strap the halves together. Rather than traditional straps which would probably have some movement, I wanted a way to lock them into position. What I eventually came up with was almost by accident as I was walking through my local hardware store. I walked by a rack of polyethylene (plastic) tubing and was like, hey I wonder if one size will fit into another. Sure enough, the 1/4" I.D.-3/8" O.D. (inner diameter/outer diameter) fit perfectly into the 3/8" I.D.-1/2" O.D. tubing. When inserted far enough into the other, the combined tube is stiff enough to resist movement. These became my "straps" for the shoulders and helped to align the front half to the back half. And to lock them in place, I used a pair of 2.75" drawer hasps. The local Michaels was closed at the time, but I'll be hot gluing neodymium magnets to the ribs to lock those in place.

IMG_8368.jpg

The separate halves of the tube/latch system.

IMG_8367.jpg

They don't even need to be fully separated for me to put it on. I just loosen them up enough to get my head through.

IMG_8366.jpg

Tube in position, ready to close the latch.

IMG_8365.jpg

The tube/latch system locked in place.

With my wife's help, I spent the weekend so far making a duct tape dummy of myself. Next, I'll be installing my visor and sealing any gaps between the visor and helmet.
IMG_8178.jpg

(Excuse the mess. I was up until nearly 4am filling it with expanding foam.)

I took Tuesday and Wednesday off as well to work on my armor. Hopefully, my progress won't be so anemic with two full days to work on this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back