Music Production anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liamthedevastator

A few months ago I purchased a Korg Kaossilator Pro after playing too much DJ hero, and also with the intent of starting an electronica duo with one of my friends (he bought the KP3). It's been a couple months and things are stagnating so I decided to start noodling around and make a demo album of random jams. HOWEVER...

My brother had Acid Music Studio 7.0 and lost the key so I'm looking for a free DAW that will work with Windows 7. Audacity doesn't really cope well with the OS because the highest update it has is for Vista.

If anyone can point me in the direction of one that would be MUCH appreciated as i'm having a strangely difficult time. My google searches are really innefective right now cuz most results are in Japanese or German. Virus sweep time!

Here's a video of a jam I did so you can get an idea of what I [try] to do. Turn down the volume because it is loud and obnoxious to start. Oh and you need only listen to the first 50 seconds because it just repeats and actually gets really awful soooooo stop at 0:50

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure why but when I make a new track then try to record it just starts another track underneath it. I checked that one out too but it's for xp/2000 so I was weary of it.

you just might have to play around with audacity for a while in order to figure it out. Wait... I think that's how all daw's work. if you need to re-record a track you have to delete it all together and start again. If you try to record on top of the track, it starts a new recording. that new recording is for other instruments so you can "publish" a song or edit single elements of the song you record. not sure if you knew this already but I figured that I might as well throw it out here.

I use a demo of FL studios, fantastic program I'm actually going to buy it eventually.

I posted something on NG Since it's the first thing I submitted it's still waiting for approval, as soon as that happens I'll post a link to it.

I really like it but that might be just because I wrote it :p
I might potentially do this sort of thing for a living so who knows. . .

Nice work on the song too, what sort of synthesiser did you use?

I didn't know you have to delete the whole track, certainly helps me understand what was going on there. I know DAWs take a while to figure out, but I was definitely not in the mood to deal with new software yesterday :p I've used Audacity before and it was different from how it acted before so I was a bit put off. I'll give it another try but it doesn't help that I have no real interface other than my 3mm microphone jack (which is mono...sad face :( )

I gave FL Studio 9 a shot when I was really intent on making dubstep, but I didn't have time to noodle around as much as I wanted to so I kind of lost interest in the program. What is NG?

I'm using the Korg Kaossilator Pro. It's a synth pad/loop processor that has a touch screen that uses an XY Axis kind of setup to control pitch and then the parameters of the synth that's selected. That whole Tron Jam was made on the pad, but it was really basic compared to what some people can do. Because it's a touch screen reproducing the same note progression with accuracy is difficult unless you record it to a loop bank, but then it just sounds like a loop :'(

It'll take a little getting used to but I'm sure you'll figure it out. try looking up tutorials on youtube

Sorry I've been going there for so long I have trouble realizing everyone doesn't recognize it as that NG is Newgrounds: www.newgrounds.com
When they say "everything by everyone" they mean it, so take that as a warning if you wanna browse around.

Also FL studio is a little hard to start out with, but it's an amazing program. Kinda CPU heavy though.

Also FL studio is a little hard to start out with, but it's an amazing program.
I can vouch for that, I use FL Studio 9 recreationally when my friend and I are just messing around with rap, techno, actually anything really.
And about Audacity, I have the 1.3 Beta (Unicode) for Windows 7 64-bit, and it works perfectly.

Music production you say?
:3
http://snd.sc/fzig2U
Made this just today (someone posted some crappy rap they wrote on fb, decided to make it into a song in a couple mins) but I'm not the greatest. FL is my weapon of choice, and it really helps if you have someone around to answer any questions (my friend is quite good with it and talked me through a lot of learning)

For some more examples of our stuff, here are my soundcloud, and his, respectively: http://snd.sc/h063bL
http://snd.sc/gqvqnz

Ooohhh, NewGrounds. That makes more sense and now I understand their motto. Thanks! FL9 is really a wicked program. I have a lot of fun making my own beats real-time on my Kaossilator though. It's got a Gate Arpeggiator function that kind of cheats drums into a quarter or 8th notes if I want. It's a lot of fun, I'd recommend trying one out!

The 1.3Beta is for Windows 7? I didn't even think about that, or try it. What a fool :O

I'm digging Ghost2 by the way, it sounds almost dubsteppy. Dubstep has just ripped into the mainstream recently...it's kind of weird.

I'll try to post some more of my jams in a while. I'm going to redownload Audacity (Thanks Sky)

p.s. Ghost is sweet too. Totally jamming out here in my house :p

Sweet :D I may make a profile somewhere so I can get music rated and critiqued. I'm still coming to terms with the replacement of my bass guitar with this Kaoss Pad and the difference in music creation, but I'll try to get some things up there soon.

I like your experimentation with dub-step, it's sick stuff.

Thanks, Sytrus is quickly becoming my favorite synthesiser :D

I used a youtube tut to learn kinda the basics and then just got to playing around with it, glad you like it!

This is the tut for making a wobble I used BTW if you'd like to learn:

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back