My 360 Got The Rrod, But I'm Trying To Resurrect It...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustang2500

Yes, another one has fallen. Sucks too because a few weeks ago my 30g iPod Video also broke. I hate Christmas.

Anyways,it all started when it froze during MW2. At first it seemed odd, but by the second time, I knew something was wrong. In no time at all, I got one red light. Not 5 seconds later, the beautiful red light tripled. :( My warranty was already voided, and I had absolubtley NO intention of paying $200+ to get it shipped and fixed.

I've seen a lot of different ways people use to repair their Xboxs, one of which was the X-Clamp. I started to do it last night, with minimal success. It worked fine for the time being, but just today decided to freeze over and over, giving me the evil red lights.

So I'm at the point where I'm trying the "homemade hybrid" technique, which is supposed to be a lot better.

My main question is, has anyone ever tried to repair their Xbox? Someone here had to have sooner or later. I want to know what's the best way to fix it, and not that towel crap! If anyone has fixed one before, I'd like to know how please! I want my baby back!

...I left mine on for a bit then knocked it a few times on both sides, it worked... But come to find out now there is no video :(

Grim_Killer said:
...I left mine on for a bit then knocked it a few times on both sides, it worked... But come to find out now there is no video :(

...I guess I should scratch that off the list then :p

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no definitive fix, I'll say that. Expect routine repairs now and again for anything besides a Microsoft repair. How did you void the warranty, exactly?

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
There is no definitive fix, I'll say that. Expect routine repairs now and again for anything besides a Microsoft repair. How did you void the warranty, exactly?

I bought the Arcade. I really wanted the drive cover and eject button to be chrome, so I tried to take a look at how I could remove the button to paint it. Long story short, I didn't realize it was a warranty sticker until it was half off.

Besides, how long do the warranties last? I got mine I think spring 2007.

try opening it up and and cleaning the fans, only if your prepaired to except the fact u might not be able to put it back together, but that is what i did and it works now

//Jeremy

I already took it apart and put it together sucessfully. I've had lots of training with dis/assembling expensive objects :p

The fan or everything else didn't really have that much dust to my surprise. I'll try that though.

Well if it has a RROD going on with it currently all I could suggest is replacing the mainboard and get it off eBbay I had a problem similar to this and bought a mainboard for my brothers 360 and after that it worked fine. I think I paid 50 for it but you may find one around the same price, cheaper or more expensive just make sure there is a return plan on the part before bidding or buying.

Nintendude said:
Well if it has a RROD going on with it currently all I could suggest is replacing the mainboard and get it off eBbay I had a problem similar to this and bought a mainboard for my brothers 360 and after that it worked fine. I think I paid 50 for it but you may find one around the same price, cheaper or more expensive just make sure there is a return plan on the part before bidding or buying.

Except I'm all out of cash completely. I already owe like $100 for something, so I'm not gonna be able to afford anything soon.

mustang2500 said:
I bought the Arcade. I really wanted the drive cover and eject button to be chrome, so I tried to take a look at how I could remove the button to paint it. Long story short, I didn't realize it was a warranty sticker until it was half off.
dry.gif

1. You would have voided the warranty by painting it, I believe.

2. RROD warranties (I think) are infinite.

no keegan there not infanite, but they are long, mine was 3 years, and yes painting it or altering it in any way other than faceplats voids the warenty

//Jeremy

well i quick fix for the ring of death is turn it on, wrap it up and 3 or 4 towels and let it sit on for about 20 min and it will

over heat and and this will reset the internal workings. it sounds stupid but it does work. so after that you will be able to turn it

back on an it will work. but its not 100% fix, but it will last for a few hours of play.

insanetrooper said:
well i quick fix for the ring of death is turn it on, wrap it up and 3 or 4 towels and let it sit on for about 20 min and it will

over heat and and this will reset the internal workings. it sounds stupid but it does work. so after that you will be able to turn it

back on an it will work. but its not 100% fix, but it will last for a few hours of play.

What did I say in the last part of the post? ;)

A lot of people say it works fine, but it does a lot more damage than good. The heat ruins the components, and doesn't even get hot enough to melt the solder.

I know I sound like a smart-ass, but I've been sitting on my computer for 2 days now researching this stuff :p... I have to show off a little...

LastSpartan said:
3 years for RROD.

Sell your console on ebay. It will sell good with the recent ban waves.

Except that it not only has the RRoD, it has an attempt to fix it which didn't work. Plus, most people that buy consoles on eBay after the ban waves look for a new console only, without any controllers or extras.

When you did the x-clamp did you replace the thermal paste. And if so did you allow your system to overheat to set the paste?

spartan-h16 said:
When you did the x-clamp did you replace the thermal paste. And if so did you allow your system to overheat to set the paste?

No, I didn't replace the compound, I just did the X-Clamp. And like the towel, apparently overheating the console is just as bad. And yes I did do it however... :(

Anyways, some good news for once! I went to town after some long thought, and picked up some proper-sized bolts, along with some much needed thermal paste. All for around $15. I quickly tried the homemade hybrid fix, and added some new paste. It gave two red lights, which means it 'thinks' it's overheating, and shuts it down. So I fiddled around with the tightness, fixed up the paste, and it works! :D

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and I hope you all will to! I know it's too early to call it a success, but hopefully it will come out fine. I'm gonna have to put it through 'very important' testing :p...

mustang2500 said:

I bought my Halo edition back then too and mine is covered through 2012. I did buy the $60 extended Warranty for 2 extra years. So yours would have ended sometime this year. My original 360's warranty will expire November of this year. bought it back at launch in 2005. If i were you i would give MS a try. I have had non warranty problems fixed and not been charged.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
Except that it not only has the RRoD, it has an attempt to fix it which didn't work. Plus, most people that buy consoles on eBay after the ban waves look for a new console only, without any controllers or extras.

Indeed. The fix could've been done wrong (Glad it's working now Mustang) and could be fixed by a more experienced person after. Plus, it's really easy to sell your console with cables and just get an arcade after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back