My armor progress How to and tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

FRANK THE PONY

Hello,
In this thread i will be posting my armor progress. I will post pictures and tips i learned along the way.I will also be giving the info i wish i had while making. Anything to help my fellow craftersFirst the files i used were from the All-in-One Halo Pepakura Pack version 1.7.

Now i already crafted the Halo 1 Mark V helmet so here are some photos

DSC00260.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

One of the big tips I can give you for scaling a helmet is it's mainly trial and error based, but if your using this helmet the scaling I used for it was 86 (in the scale box below the measurements in pepekura D.) Now i have a pretty preportional head to my body but I have broad shoulders (I.e bigger head) so make sure your measurements seem right, Also the helmet no matter which one you do should not be tight to your head you can always pad it if its to big but you cant do anything about a small peice.

I will be posting my progress rather frequently so check back soon

Hey so i screwed up my helmet so gonna have to chalk that up to the live and learn section but a few thing i learned to help you guys out so far is
-dont start with HD stuff like helmet s if your a first timers cause YOUR GOING TO MESS UP
=this might just be me but the auqua resin made it look more stone than mestal/plastic so until i try more stuff i recomend fiber glass resin just be safe
=BE PATIENT

I actually follow Kat's suggestion for scaling. For the main armor, use the difference in your height and MCs as the scale rate. For the helmet, measure the height of your head and just modify the actual height number of the helmet to fit it.

I'm 6'4" and can do a good job of modding the armor height. However, the size of the helmet, when measured, would make me look like a freak because I would pretty much be wearing it as a baseball cap...

Oh, don't forget to add an inch or so for padding to the helmet.

Other than that, it looks amazing.

Update #1--6/26/2011
BOOTS!!!!!

Good news everyone I have "completed" my boots and they look decent check it out. I used the LD Mark VI boots

DSC00266.jpg

DSC00264.jpg

Ya ya I know they aren't fully put together but I need to wait till I resin the inside of the toe area. Also i plan on making the center area of the boot look a little better by using one of those springy plungers.I saw a thread on how to do it but I coudn't find it again so if you know what I'm talking about i would appretiate a link :D and i think I'm going to attach a shoe to the inside I dont know yet.

Tips:
-scaling boots is super easy just measure the length of your foot and put it in the depth portion of the scaling window.(make sure it's in the right units)
-Make sure you know how your going to get your foot in the boot before you actually put it completly together. I'm going to use some sort of straps.

Also feel free to post your tips in the comments. I'd appretiate any tips on scaling the LD Mark VI shoulders and chest by ROBOGENESIS. like a formula or something. Again this is from the all in one halo pepekura pack. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank, I would like you to join my wolf pack!!

There isn't many Ponies around here.

Great progress by the way on the helmet and boots! Looks really nice!

Hey everyone just saying I got my aqua resin in(by the way I'm using auqua resin instead of fiberglass resin) a few days ago and my helmet is fully coated no pic's yet but it shrank a little sooooooo easy fix More info later I'm pretty busy Mkay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back