My Current Project (Mark VI Armor Including Mark V Helmet From Halo 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good so far dude! So how long did it take you to pep the whole thing? Looks like you blazed though it, wish I could pep that fast!

It took me, if you don't count the days I was lazy and didn't feel like doing anything, about 2 weeks for all those pieces. Before school was out, I even pepped some of the pieces there. Now I have all summer to work on this thing. These are the L.D. pieces. I'm going to do a lot of body work to make this thing game accurate. The helmet took the longest though. So many small pieces. Either way, I'm finally done for the most part. All I need are the thighs, and well, they aren't much to work on. I'll get started on some of the main work on the pieces as soon as I can. I'll update whenever I finish another piece or so. I don't know when that will be, since I don't have the fiberglass or anything just yet.

Sorry if I haven't posted an update in a while. I have the thighs done. So now I have the full suit pepped. I'm trying to save up some money to get the fiberglass and other things. Here's some pictures of what the complete suit so far.
Pictures:
vids002.jpg

vids003.jpg

vids004.jpg

vids005.jpg

Good news. I got my resin yesterday, and I'm going to begin working in a few minutes. There's one thing I need to ask. Is this type of fiberglass okay to use?
Snapshot_20110605.jpg

My dad uses it for his construction jobs, and he said it should work just fine. I just want to make sure though. It's just about the same as fiberglass cloth, but it's like a fiberglass net.

well it should work the same princaple but you can never be to sure test it out first to see what it does and how it reacts and if its free then you can't beat free but it looks fine to me and as seeing is this your first build its a great way to trial and error

Alright, I've resined the inside of all the pieces except the helmet, cod piece, and chest. It's worked great so far, except on the thighs. That's okay, they aren't very hard to pep. I need to know though, is it still supposed to be flexible after 1 layer of resin? I haven't put any fiberglass in yet, but I want to make sure of everything before I get to that step.

Yes, it will still be a little flexible after resin. The resin adds just enough support for the weight of the fiberglass on the inside, but doesn't really harden it that much. I may have already asked this, but what type of material are you using for the Pep? I recall thinking your Peps looked a little flimsy from the photos. I hope you used heavy enough posterboard/cardstock.

Also, I don't think that "fiberglass" you got from your dad's work will work. It looks more like "fiberglass" that's used to repair or reinforce drywall. What you want is fiberglass cloth, that looks like this:

HEXCEL7532PLAIN-01.jpg

Yeah my dad does a lot of drywall work. I'm using 110 LB card stock. That's what the tutorial on that wiki site told me to use. I'll try to get some of the actual stuff, that way I don't screw up. Also, should I resin the outside as well?

The first coat of resin usually goes on the outside. No need to add a layer there if you already have one on the inside though.

I'd say just try the fibreglass you have on a piece of paper and see what happens. Put one layer on a third of the page, two on the second third and three on the last third. That'll give you an idea of how strong it comes out. Your fibreglass seems to be intended for larger objects (thus the large distance between the strands that go straight through and form the net), but my guess is that it will work, there's some mat in between after all. You may need to put on more than one layer, and if you do, try to offset them so that the "net" doesn't overlap to get the most out of the material.

I've tried it like that, and it's got quite the strength. Looks as if I've done harder work than I should have with the resin so far. I should have resined the outside, but I did it all on the inside. Oh well, I'm thinking it still works the same. I've still got the helmet and such to do. I saved them for last because the humidity out side warped them a little bit. I had to put extra support struts in them to keep them at the correct shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back