My finished 3d-printed Master Chief armor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martorias

Hi! Long time lurker and thought I'd post my armor I've been making over the year..

martin1.jpg

This is me at Gamex/Comiccon this past Saturday in Stockholm, Sweden.

martin3.jpg

Hanging out with the Chief!

DSC_1813.JPG

One from the back while playing DkS3 <3

20151031_000836_new.jpg

Test fitting the night before.

I've put up some more images on imgur, perhaps easier to just link there if that's ok? http://imgur.com/a/DGku1

So everything except the gloves is 3d printed. I used the raw obj files available on 405th and added details in Blender.
The helmet is the one from Thingiverse since I already had that one in pieces, however I did add a little something for the "nose" part.
I used some of nintendstroid's models as reference (thanks!) but then I bought the NECA 1/4 Chief and use that.
Undersuit is a crysis nano suit morphsuit. Before you complain about the neck, I had it folded down since I was beginning to get sick and it was very warm at the con :(
Most pieces are held in place by elastics or neodymium magnets (easy to remove cod piece if I need to take a leak).

Uhm some printing facts perhaps? Printed on my now dead balcony using a Velleman K8200. Total printing time is around 500h and it's about 13kg PLA plastic. (not counting bad prints and those of wrong scale..)

I hope you appreciate this, and thanks for a great forum. Let me know if I should post more pics or info.

Sweet mother of God, that looks outstanding. How much filament did you use? What your build volume and how long did each part take?! I cant even fathom this scale of project on my little 250x250x170mm setup I have.

Thanks! It's like 13kg filament. My printer is 200x200x200 so there's a lot of small parts. I usually printed three big parts per day (one before work, one when I got home and one when I went to sleep)

Great build, saw your post on reddit and glad you came by!

Also, I'm curious how you attached your cod piece, butt and thighs, velcro or snaps? Or another method?

Did you print the BR as well?

Yup 100% of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Great build, saw your post on reddit and glad you came by!

Also, I'm curious how you attached your cod piece, butt and thighs, velcro or snaps? Or another method?

Magnets! The cod and butt pieces are just pulled off. I sew magnets to a wide elastic band that I have under the suit and used this chemical metal 2 component putty to attach magnets to the pieces.

Good find on the Undersuit. I also saw a Robocop one that would be pretty cool for an undersuit. I'll most likely grab one of them unless I decided to drop some major money on a Snakepit Studios Spartan one.

Yup 100% of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Magnets! The cod and butt pieces are just pulled off. I sew magnets to a wide elastic band that I have under the suit and used this chemical metal 2 component putty to attach magnets to the pieces.

Im intrigued by the Magnet concept, mind posting a pic to show those? (If they're in the imgur gallery, disregard, haven't got the chance to look in there yet.) Is the BR a solid piece or does it have working component? (trigger, bolt, etc)

Im intrigued by the Magnet concept, mind posting a pic to show those? (If they're in the imgur gallery, disregard, haven't got the chance to look in there yet.) Is the BR a solid piece or does it have working component? (trigger, bolt, etc)

I can do it when I get home today. The BR is solid, except the scope which is removable (if I wanted a h5 sight). I made another BR with detachable magazine but it was a lot less detailed so finished this one instead.

edit: belt with sewn on magnets. Neodymium magnets, bought a ton from eBay for cheap. Loctite repair putty to secure magnets on plastic piece. Belt goes under undersuit and it's seen!

codpiece.jpg

Let me just say awsome 3d printing work. But i have a few questions. First what kind of 3d printer did you use, also how did you modify the obj. files and how did you make it so smooth for i have been trying to get some of my prints to smooth out but they still have lines and sometimes clumps?

Let me just say awsome 3d printing work. But i have a few questions. First what kind of 3d printer did you use, also how did you modify the obj. files and how did you make it so smooth for i have been trying to get some of my prints to smooth out but they still have lines and sometimes clumps?

I used a velleman k8200 with a j-head hotend. It's not a very fancy printer at all, it's a diy kit :S but it's good enough!
I used blender to import the files, and first step is to give them thickness and after that add a lot of edges in the right places to be able to get more details.
My prints aren't very smooth right out of the printer, but clumps is usually caused by settings / temperature. For the lines I sand the pieces first, then I add filler and sand and filler and sand and finally spray filler.. And sand it some more!
This was a very time consuming thing, but it turned out really good so no ragret!

View attachment 19864

Here's a pic of half the chest armor. You can see the cuts between the different printed pieces. The shoulderpad at the bottom has received some spray filler and some extra filler it seems, soon to be sanded and then painted.

As far as the editing .obj files to accommodate a 3D printer, you can use the Blender program (free), go to file -> Import Waveform (.obj), and then export that as an STL which is accepted by all 3D printing software. You can also clean up some vertices and faces in Blender to make the model hollow (helmets) or add faces/repair the model in Netfabb (free version) to make the model Manifold (meaning the 3D model has no holes in it)

Edited for the misquote.

Hi! Long time lurker and thought I'd post my armor I've been making over the year..

View attachment 19786

This is me at Gamex/Comiccon this past Saturday in Stockholm, Sweden.

View attachment 19787

Hanging out with the Chief!

View attachment 19789

One from the back while playing DkS3 <3

View attachment 19868

Test fitting the night before.

I've put up some more images on imgur, perhaps easier to just link there if that's ok? http://imgur.com/a/DGku1

So everything except the gloves is 3d printed. I used the raw obj files available on 405th and added details in Blender.
The helmet is the one from Thingiverse since I already had that one in pieces, however I did add a little something for the "nose" part.
I used some of nintendstroid's models as reference (thanks!) but then I bought the NECA 1/4 Chief and use that.
Undersuit is a crysis nano suit morphsuit. Before you complain about the neck, I had it folded down since I was beginning to get sick and it was very warm at the con :(
Most pieces are held in place by elastics or neodymium magnets (easy to remove cod piece if I need to take a leak).

Uhm some printing facts perhaps? Printed on my now dead balcony using a Velleman K8200. Total printing time is around 500h and it's about 13kg PLA plastic. (not counting bad prints and those of wrong scale..)

I hope you appreciate this, and thanks for a great forum. Let me know if I should post more pics or info.

This 3D print looks AMAZING!!! If only I had a 3D printer........Santa Santa why won't you ever listen to meeeeeeee!!!!!!

Wow. No idea how I missed that... Your Chief looks OUTSTANDING! O_O
Seirously 100% legit :D

But, I was wondering, how did you attach the pieces, especially leg armor so it won't fall/slip down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back