1st Build My first 3D printed Spartan build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jev

Hi Guys, You may have met me as I am active in the 405th Discord server, I‘ve been in the 405th for I’d say over a year now, I love see’ing full sets of Mjolnir armour, So I’ve decided to make my own!
I’ve tried foam and pepakura, but was never really able to get the hang of it, In the future I’ll probably return to it but for now I’m going to 3D print my Armour pieces.
I’ve finished the helmet (Halo 5 Scout), however it could do with some work (Better sanding, paint, visor etc).
Just finished printing the gauntlets so I’m about to get some Car Body filler to get them together properly.
I’ll update this as I go on the build of the suit!
Post any helpful advice, comments or criticisms in the comments!

Hi Guys, You may have met me as I am active in the 405th Discord server, I‘ve been in the 405th for I’d say over a year now, I love see’ing full sets of Mjolnir armour, So I’ve decided to make my own!
I’ve tried foam and pepakura, but was never really able to get the hang of it, In the future I’ll probably return to it but for now I’m going to 3D print my Armour pieces.
I’ve finished the helmet (Halo 5 Scout), however it could do with some work (Better sanding, paint, visor etc).
Just finished printing the gauntlets so I’m about to get some Car Body filler to get them together properly.
I’ll update this as I go on the build of the suit!
Post any helpful advice, comments or criticisms in the comments!
Look forward to seeing your build. I've been working on my own build for the better part of the year and have had to learn most everything from scratch from: sizing prints, slicing files into smaller bits, welding broken parts back together, sanding/filling, painting, and even making my own vacuum forming bucket and mold for making my visor. Let us know If you have any difficulty with something or just want any advice on your build!

Advice I'd give, print small. Like slice any big parts into smaller ones. So if a 72 hour long print fails on hour 68, your not out 3+ days of printing. I'm totally not speaking form experience.

Also, have fun with it. Its a lot of work, and might look like a big hill to climb, but its worth it.

I would suggest not to rush things, I really like my first spartan but you can see 3d printed lines in spots, I should have spent that little bit extra time in body filling, sanding, and priming but I was too eager to get it done and wear it.
Please keep this updated with photos, i love seeing peoples progressions on suits.

Filler primer is your best friend for 3d prints. It fills in all the little layer lines with just a couple coats. I would also recommend using an air drying spot putty versus auto body filler as you get a longer working time and less waste. Depending on if you are printing in ABS a product called plastic wood is incredible as it has acetone in it so it actually melts and bonds to the part you are filling.

Filler primer is your best friend for 3d prints. It fills in all the little layer lines with just a couple coats. I would also recommend using an air drying spot putty versus auto body filler as you get a longer working time and less waste. Depending on if you are printing in ABS a product called plastic wood is incredible as it has acetone in it so it actually melts and bonds to the part you are filling.
I’ve heard about the putty but haven’t tried it yet, I’ll have a look into the putty as it’s taking too much time to get the body filler as I’m pretty busy.

These are the gauntlets I’ve printed, I found them on thingiverse, I like the look of them but don’t know the armour set it’s from in game. They’ve come out pretty nicely though!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
These are the gauntlets I’ve printed, I found them on thingiverse, I like the look of them but don’t know the armour set it’s from in game. They’ve come out pretty nicely though!
this seems to be forearms from halo 4

I’ve heard about the putty but haven’t tried it yet, I’ll have a look into the putty as it’s taking too much time to get the body filler as I’m pretty busy.

If you are in the US, most hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowes should have body filler (One of the bands is Bondo) in the automotive section. You can also probably find it at any auto parts store like Auto Zone or O O O O'Rileys.

The rest of the armour is taking longer to make than expected so I'll update the thread as I finish each piece of armour.

If anyone has any idea's of paint schemes or tips, I'll continue to check this thread and update it as I said, Have a nice day!

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been busy!
Working my way through a foam ODST chest that I was planning to scrap, so I'll be using that with my Sp IV Scout Helmet temporarily until I can get a good 3d Printed ODST bucket.
The Gauntlets are in around the same condition I left them in as I used all of my Epoxy Resin on the Chest (I'll need a lot more Epoxy). Other than that, It's coming along nicely!
As always, Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back