My First Armor - ODST [Kinda Picture Heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

exodia1010

Hey all!
First off: I'm rather impressed with everyone that has ever posted anything relating to personal projects (I've been quite the lurker :p ).
Now for my presentation!

Like I said, I've been researching and looking and I found Hugh's PEP files to be the most awesomest (its a word) for what I'm going for. Other sources are heavy from the wikia resource database so I thank anyone/everyone that contributed there. This is my first attempt at any kind of armor build/pepakura work. During a 4 hours drive my friend mentioned about pepakura and I Google'd it and thus the work began!

I wanted a little background story to my character as I'm one of "those guys". So the story of this character was a sole survivor of a planet glassing. He's been listed as KIA in all UNSC accounts and is forced to survive of the land and fight for survival against the rebel factions and the remnant Covenant forces. His armor is falling apart, but he is able to keep it together by recovering parts from his fallen comrades and the traders/scavengers he comes across. After 25 years of living in solitude a UNSC fleet appears in orbit and starts a landing force, targeting the major cities. The ODST is recovered and he finds that all other UNSC personnel on the planet are either now officially KIA or allied with rebel forces engaged with UNSC ground teams. He is dubbed the "Forgotten ODST" since his armor is rag-tagged and there is no one alive that remembers him pre-glass.

Here is a piece-by-piece progress view (Updated on November 15, 2013:
ArmorProgressView_zpsa82ee6f1.png

I appreciate any and all feedback! Here are some examples of my work! Click Here to get taken to the project's album. Enjoy :D

ShowOff_zps6146a5a9.jpg
Helmet_zpsdadf2c3b.jpg
Fight_zps17ccc9a5.jpg
ShinWearing_zps7aeca268.jpg

Attachments

• ArmorProgressView_zpsa82ee6f1.png
    ArmorProgressView_zpsa82ee6f1.png
    765.1 KB · Views: 183
  • ShinWearing_zps7aeca268.jpg
    ShinWearing_zps7aeca268.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Fight_zps17ccc9a5.jpg
    Fight_zps17ccc9a5.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Helmet_zpsdadf2c3b.jpg
    Helmet_zpsdadf2c3b.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 155
  • ShowOff_zps6146a5a9.jpg
    ShowOff_zps6146a5a9.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 148
this is looking really nice so far! keep up the good work! and keep posting pictures, I'm sure we are all excited to see how this turns out!!!!!!

Sorry for disappearing for a few months, I'm military and when they say go to the woods for 7 weeks you just go...

Anyway!

So here is where I'm at so far:
131115Allofit_zps9a3885d6.jpe

Close up of Weapons:

131115Weapons_zpsdf0bdcb5.jpe

Here is Hugh's Chest Assets (I love his files!)

131115HughChest_zpsa96a6c5e.jpe

If you want to see more hope on over to the PhotoBucket link here.

Attachments

• 131115Allofit_zps9a3885d6.jpe
    131115Allofit_zps9a3885d6.jpe
    84.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 131115HughChest_zpsa96a6c5e.jpe
    131115HughChest_zpsa96a6c5e.jpe
    78.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 131115Weapons_zpsdf0bdcb5.jpe
    131115Weapons_zpsdf0bdcb5.jpe
    97.1 KB · Views: 171
All looking very good! I would get on resining some of this stuff before too long. Unreinforced pep models have a tendency to warp over time (personal experience). With at least one coat of resin on them, you won't have that problem.

Awesome! You almost have the full kit. Keep it up.
What scale did you use on the shin piece? Mine turned out too large, and I am considering re-doing it. Yours looks bang on.

Doing great work bro, keep it up !!! and i agree Hugh's does have some great ODST files lol

All looking very good! I would get on resining some of this stuff before too long. Unreinforced pep models have a tendency to warp over time (personal experience). With at least one coat of resin on them, you won't have that problem.
Thanks! I'm currently not able to resin because of current living conditions, but I will be able to in February. I have the pep models half-reinforced with the scraps of paper and I have them in stable positions so I'm not too worried about warping. And if worse comes to worse it only took like 14 days to pep everything and a little warp is easy to fix.

What scale did you use on the shin piece? Mine turned out too large, and I am considering re-doing it. Yours looks bang on.
I used the standard 1x scale on Hugh's file. I'm 6' even and I think having a boot underneath the shin gives it enough room, I don't think a sneaker is gonna cut it here.

Looks really good! I've always wanted to make an ODST suit, though I've never gotten around to it.

Really nice pepwork, looks like really clean folds! Looking forward to see how this turns out! Have you thought of any paintscheme?
Also, how did you create that progress picture? I've never managed to make any good ones!

You have very impressive pep skills especially on the weapons which are typically very challenging. Can't wait to see you put some resin and body filler on it

[QUOTE/] I used the standard 1x scale on Hugh's file. I'm 6' even and I think having a boot underneath the shin gives it enough room, I don't think a sneaker is gonna cut it here.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Thanks.

Looks really good! I've always wanted to make an ODST suit, though I've never gotten around to it.

Really nice pepwork, looks like really clean folds! Looking forward to see how this turns out! Have you thought of any paintscheme?
Also, how did you create that progress picture? I've never managed to make any good ones!
For color I'm going to be looking at a variety of conceptual, in game, live action, and cosplay armors and draw some inspiration from all of them since this is supposed to be a rag-tag survival armor (think Fallout 3/NV). Hopefully after the holidays I'll get around to designing the actual concept of the character.
As far as the progress image: I got the picture of Google Images and used some Photoshop skills to make it where I can just fill in individual pieces. Each piece is a separate layer within the picture so I don't bucket fill the whole thing on accident.

waw man very very impressive what scale did you use on your helmet it seems very nice mine always gets big too big
Thanks! I used the default 1x scale on the "Low Def" file found on the Halo Costuming Wikia. I have a pretty big head and I think I may need to go up a size, but I'll wait to see once it's done and if I can manipulate some extra room. If not I'll get a decent cast helmet. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back