My First Build (Halo Reach)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neight42

Hello Everyone!

I've been looking at some of the tutorial threads and videos and I think it's great how helpful this community is to newcomers!

Halo Reach has always been my favorite Halo game, and with the promise that Bungie will re-release the Master Chief Collection this year (starting with Reach!), I'm feeling pretty hyped - so much that I thought it would be neat to make my own spartan cosplay! There is a convention in early December, and would love to participate in the costume contest. At this rate, I don't know if I'll have the time to put a whole suit (and do it well). I've seen posts where people say it can take up to a year to make suits, so I might be a little late to the punch. I'm going to stay optimistic though, and I will try to post updates as I complete pieces of the armor.

I'm starting with the helmet, which will be the Commando (UA/FC variant), which so far is turning out to be more difficult than I anticipated.
I am using 1/2 in thick EVA foam mats and some high density 5mm "Cosplay Foam" from Joann Fabrics.
Thanks to Crimmson, I have a great Pepakura template to work with. And after putting together half of the helmet and sizing it, I was relieved to find that I didn't have to scale the file at all.

I'm trying to start with the visor or "brim" of the helmet, but can't decide on a technique to get the precise angles and creases. I'm also on the fence about the thickness of EVA foam I should use for most of the helmet, but more specifically the brim.

I have several different types of X-Acto blades and craft knives, and after a bit of practice I think I'm getting better at bevel/chamfered cuts. A beginner's forum I saw recommended a hot knife for bevel cuts, but I would love some input from others if there is a better technique for making those cuts more precise without investing in a hot knife. I'm also kind of stumped on making the bottom half of the helmet - I wanted to make a base layer out of 5mm foam to add the detail bits on top of, but I'm not sure if that is a better alternative to just piecing together the different parts with thicker foam.

Anyways, here is the build breakdown:

Helmet: Commando UA/FC
Torso: "Tacticool" Parafoil (I'm going to try to add some ammo pouches on the stomach area)
Left Shoulder: Commando
Right Shoulder: Operator
Wrist: Tactical/UGPS
Utility: Tactical/Soft Case
Knees: Gungnir

I'm going for a more traditional sense of a commando - an elite trooper who drops behind enemy lines for covert operations. The irony of it all is that the armor color is bright orange. I'm following the mentality of the Red Baron - he stuck out like a sore thumb but most didn't survive to tell the tale...

Noble Nate.png

I welcome any and all constructive tips and/or links to tutorials that aren't already on the forums!

Neight out.

Helmets are pretty difficult, and if you're just starting out, I'd recommend a bicep, shin, or other, smaller piece first, to practice your cuts and techniques.

If you're dead set on the helmet, start from the ground up, working from the bottom. Be careful to ensure you are symmetrical with each side, and make sure each piece is clean cut and precise.

A little patience can really help shape your piece into something that looks nice, as opposed to something hastily thrown together.

You can get a whole suit wearable in three months, for sure. You just need to set goals and pace yourself.

Good luck, friend! Keep us posted!

Helmets are pretty difficult, and if you're just starting out, I'd recommend a bicep, shin, or other, smaller piece first, to practice your cuts and techniques.

If you're dead set on the helmet, start from the ground up, working from the bottom. Be careful to ensure you are symmetrical with each side, and make sure each piece is clean cut and precise.

A little patience can really help shape your piece into something that looks nice, as opposed to something hastily thrown together.

You can get a whole suit wearable in three months, for sure. You just need to set goals and pace yourself.

Good luck, friend! Keep us posted!

Thanks Sean - I appreciate the advice! I think I will start with some easier pieces to build some skills and confidence. I will definitely post as I go!

That's a pretty short turnaround for a full suit but if you're focused and work on it several hours every day you can get it done. Just focus on finishing off a part every day or two.

From memory of my foam builds of SPARTAN-III parts. Most days are six to eight hours and include cutting paper patterns, foam and assembling. You can speed up the process by identifying what sections are mirrored to reduce number of patterns to cut.
Boots - One day per boot.​
Shins - One day per shin and knee.​
Thighs - One day for both thighs, one day for the hardcase​
Belt - One day.​
Chest - Three days. One day for attachments.​
Biceps - One day per bicep.​
Gauntlets - One day per gauntlet, one day for attachment.​
Shoulders - One day.​
Helmet - Two to three days.​
Link to my rough materials, time and cost breakdown.

Last edited:
That's a pretty short turnaround for a full suit but if you're focused and work on it several hours every day you can get it done. Just focus on finishing off a part every day or two.

From memory of my foam builds of SPARTAN-III parts. Most days are six to eight hours and include cutting paper patterns, foam and assembling. You can speed up the process by identifying what sections are mirrored to reduce number of patterns to cut.
Boots - One day per boot.​
Shins - One day per shin and knee.​
Thighs - One day for both thighs, one day for the hardcase​
Belt - One day.​
Chest - Three days. One day for attachments.​
Biceps - One day per bicep.​
Gauntlets - One day per gauntlet, one day for attachment.​
Shoulders - One day.​
Helmet - Two to three days.​

Thanks, TurboCharizard! I can usually dedicate about 4 hours a night to it on weekdays. I really appreciate the approximate time to complete each piece - that will definitely help me budget my time better! I planned on using plastidip as a primer, which from what I hear can be sufficient to protect the foam from most damage and paint eating through. Did you reinforce your foam build with anything to increase its durability?

Thanks, TurboCharizard! I can usually dedicate about 4 hours a night to it on weekdays. I really appreciate the approximate time to complete each piece - that will definitely help me budget my time better! I planned on using plastidip as a primer, which from what I hear can be sufficient to protect the foam from most damage and paint eating through. Did you reinforce your foam build with anything to increase its durability?
I built my suit using CA glue for the seams and then backing them with high temperature hot glue to build quickly. If you use contact cement it'll be more durable but the build time will be way longer with waiting for the contact cement to get tacky. That being said I've had this suit for 18 months, worn the heck out of it and there's only a few parts that are starting to show signs of damage.

Check out Rustoleum Leak Seal. PlastiDip likes to peel up off of surfaces and it's not possible to sand whereas Leak Seal forms a stong bond with foam.

I built my suit using CA glue for the seams and then backing them with high temperature hot glue to build quickly. If you use contact cement it'll be more durable but the build time will be way longer with waiting for the contact cement to get tacky. That being said I've had this suit for 18 months, worn the heck out of it and there's only a few parts that are starting to show signs of damage.

Check out Rustoleum Leak Seal. PlastiDip likes to peel up off of surfaces and it's not possible to sand whereas Leak Seal forms a stong bond with foam.

Thanks!

I made my suit from scratch and actually started with the helmet as a newbie! I have a Pinterest with the steps my armor went through on each separate part. Boots, shins, gauntlets, torso, helmet. I think if you wanted to see like a breakdown of shell to whole, this may help. Just look for “kyles Kreation’s” on Pinterest. Good luck on your build and if anyone does visit my Pinterest, like and comment that you saw this on the 405th!!!

Another progress update!

I've finished most of the top half of the helmet and am currently working on the bottom. I'm starting to understand why Sean Anwalt recommended starting from the bottom up - I'm fairly certain the helmet will fit based on how the top rests on my head but I really wont know until I finish the bottom.

I've accepted the fact that the full suit won't be ready by the day of the convention based on my current pace. I wont stop working on it though, and maybe if I get into a groove I will surprise myself. I'm learning a lot as I go, trying not to get too worried about little mistakes, and having fun!

Neight out.

commando top.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back