My first build - HD Master Chief MJOLNIR armour :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
master_chief_cosplay_by_cheshirevirus3-d4la54n.jpg

Well I started it!!!! 4 glue gun burns but here we go!!! Next up ... the rest of the armour haha :D

Im going to use this thread to track my progress and hopefully I'll fill it up with fun pics and stuff and learn a bit along the way :D

TO DO

Pepakura bits ...
Helmet -PEPPED AND HALF RESINED/FIBERGLASSED
Chest plate - PEPPED
Bicep guards - Up Next
Forearm pieces - PEPPED -left one still to do-
Hand bits/gauntlet - PEPPED
Codpiece -
Thigh guards -
shin guards -
Boots -

377061_153128358133750_100003097617337_223949_1349234237_n.jpg

Hey Nice pep work on that helmet! the scale looks great. Cant wait to see this thing finished!

Awesome pep work indeed. Definitely keep it up! You have a long road ahead of you, but we're here to help. :)

Rex out.

You're definitely braver than I was when I started my first suit. I started off with the hand plates. haha

You're doing a good job so far and I can't wait to see the rest of your suit in the future!

And I'm happy to see another female spartan join the ranks! >8D

-Alexis

Thanks so far everyone :D

@Rex, awhh drats I thought it was plain sailing from here lol JK, I know, Im messing with the chest armour scale, lucky Im flat chested so i dont need to worry bout depth haha,

Im so relieved you guys think my scale and pep is okay, I was running blind into this and didnt really know if it looked okay :D I'll keep posting more pics and stuff as I go

and @Saber, HEY GIRL!!! :D tiz great finding other female spartans :D also, love your avvie, Red V Blue ftw, my friends call me Caboose at school haha we're such awesome nerds :D who's your fave RvB/Project Freelancer charater?

Mine is Caboose obv (we have so much in common lol) and I love the way South Dakota fights, just a shame about what happened with her Bro and all ... *whistles innocently haha* Its funny coz I was a twin once too :) *obv I didnt hurt my twin or anything, heavens no!!!*

Well, you guys have seen my peping progress, and I have now solved my -no-safety-gear-and-no-shed-problem ... My uncle has a plant hire business (he owns tractors and digs stuff for people :/ ... I live in the country deal with it haha) and has a massive shed with lots of tools, so he and my cousin are allowing me to use a corner of their shed and some of their safety gear :) so the project will go ahead, I also bought a fiber glassing kit today so I can start that tonight or tomorrow and hopefully get the helmet rock solid before going back to college :) God knows this project will slow considerably once I start college again.

finishing a web design assignment for college on Monday :)

Take care everyone, Im gonna chill, get dinner, read up on fiber glass-stuff and catch ya's later!!! :D

I'll have pictures up soon :D *hopefully*

I would make sure to use the correct respirator. The dustmask is only good for particles, and when you're doing the fiberglassing, you need to have one that blocks fumes. I'd be sure to use the correct one just for your own safety.

Rex out.

I also would suggest wearing an organic respirator as the fumes will hurt your brain over time. As for doing it in your kitchen I doubt your family will thank you for it as resin smells nice and strong and the smell clings to everything so it normally takes a couple of days to die down.

My mom said it was cool ... and my cat is a total spaz already haha, she let me use a glue gun in the house too her only rule was "JAZ WHATEVER YOU DO DONT GET THAT GLUE ON MY FLOOR" and she hasnt found th- haha kidding, nah I didnt make a mess so it was okay, she says we have dust masks ... I could ask the guys in the shed outside if they have a better respirator if I could borrow it ...gonna wait till tomorrow and do it in the shed ...

Also, p.s. question

Any idea how long it takes the fiberglass to dry/harden up? I was thinking of doing the inside tonight/tomorrow and waiting for it to dry then do the outside of the helmet ... if it dries quick I could do it all in one night no problem

Doesn't my avatar and signature give it away? It's Agent Texas! hahah

And I also would recommend in the highest degree you acquire an organic respirator. The fumes from the resin are highly toxic and can cause major medical problems in the future. If you can smell it, you're damaging your lungs and brain.
There are a few members here who decided they wouldn't get the proper safety gear and they ended up going to the hospital for breathing complications or major headaches a few days later. The last thing we want is fellow members getting really sick from something that is 100% preventable.

You can easily find one any Lowe's or HomeDepot for $25-$30 and it's worth the investment.

I work outside with no shed because I don't want my family to be in danger of the fumes so fiberglassing in the kitchen isn't the best idea.

I'm wondering if you've resined the piece initially. The cardstock can't stand the weight of the fiberglass on its own without some reinforcement. And it depends on how much hardener you put in the resin. You put in too little (the recommended amount of drops is 7), it'll take a while to cure. Add a lot (more than 7), and it'll cure very quickly. The only problem with adding more hardener is it usually cures before you can apply it to your armor. And the smell hangs around for a long time (Another reason why this shouldn't be done in your kitchen).

-Alexis

Rats ... I dont live in america (Im living in EUrope now, Im half european half Oceanian) ... people here in Ireland (I live in Ireland now coz my moms a leprechaun) are pretty relaxed with health and safety I guess >.< I'll leave it till tomorrow and invade my uncles shed ... damn I was looking forward to it haha I guess I could do my college work or start on the chest piece ...

Awhh cumon I only have one semester left!!!! I'm studying games design so I can make future halo games, isnt that important ;P hahaha

Hmm I wanted to resin it first to see if it would work though ... the cardstock Im using is really thin, its virtually paper, I wanted to make sure the fiberglass resin wouldnt like melt it or something :/

I understand the excitement but it shouldn't cause you to jump into things prematurely and potentially hurt yourself.
I'm all about safety, obviously. haha

You can always take turns doing college work and pep work too! Five minutes college work, half an hour chest piece! :D
I took game design in high school. Loved it! And I'm still on winter break! I don't start my second semester until Monday.

And adding resin is always a good idea. It's a step that can't be skipped. Cardstock can't take the pressure. (hahah)

I'm excited about your build! Good luck!

That's awesome! I, too, am in school for video game programming, production and design. I love what I'm learning, but goodness gracious is it tedious. I've got another year or so till I get my bachelor's.

If you have a work shed you can use, I'd do that. That's how I'll be doing it myself. Testing the resin is always a good idea. Just remember, light coats on the outside.

Rex out.

I found the best way to balance college and armor building perfectly! haha all you have to do is finish the course work first thing then work on armor XD simple. also working with someone else makes things go fast, for both!

Tip with the resin try to work in a dry warm area. it will help the resin set a little quicker because it uses heat to set.

Im sooo glad people talk to me here lol, theres such a great sense of community :3 wooo sorry Ill stop now haha

Yeah, Im waiting for safety, and I like the way you think, 10 mins programming 2 hours armour prep haha jk Im back on Monday too!!! good to be back but Ill miss working on my aroumr and hate waking up at 6:45 to drive to college >.<

I;d get friends to help me but I live an hour away from college and drive everyday so its difficult dragging people the whole way back to the country since they live in the city an hour away, Im transferring to a different college (a university infact, thats one step higher apparently) hopegfully if I fill out my forms right, I was a valedictorian in my "High school" so I have plenty of choice its just a matter of which college to pick! I wont let my studies suffer though, even with this armour, I have a whole month before my best friend is done her exams so Ill have nothing better to do other than prep and prep and bondo and paint etc haha

As for warm weather, Im 'effed haha its horrible, ireland rains a tonne, to think I moved here from wellington where it was always sunny hahaha jk, I guess it'll just take longer t o dry, or Ill put it near a ehater or something :/

OOOhhh snaaaap!! Good luck with colleg, tiz a great course to be on, unfortunately Im transferring schools next year till I have money to cover travel costs and I wont be studying games design for 3 years Ill do digital media instead :( but maybe we will work together in the future on a game or something best of luck!!!! :D

Yeah a space heater will work fine. just make sure the room you put it in is well ventilated. haha That it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back