Foam ODST: Version 1 was okay. Now for Version 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaiganBoi

Sr Member
Okay ladies and gents. I am finally starting my first suit of armour in the Halo universe. As the title says, my suit of choice is the ODST made with EVA foam. I will eventually start posting pics of my progress. I have nothing as of yet because I am still in the process of scaling and cutting my templates for the shin/boot. I am hoping that I scaled it right and all turns out well. I don't want to put myself in a situation where a lot of work has been done, only to realize that the part doesn't fit. *ahem* Dirtdives *cough*
Wish me luck.

20170312_004834.jpg
I haven't had much of a chance to work on this. I finally got all the template bits traced out on the foam and started cutting them out. Holy ****! Soooooo much cutting. At this moment I wish I had a band saw or scroll saw. All you foam builders here have some serious patience.

I haven't had much of a chance to work on this. I finally got all the template bits traced out on the foam and started cutting them out. Holy ****! Soooooo much cutting. At this moment I wish I had a band saw or scroll saw. All you foam builders here have some serious patience.

Is it patience or a lack of social life, who knows hahahahaha.
But looking good man, I'll be following along :)

View attachment 240746 I haven't had much of a chance to work on this. I finally got all the template bits traced out on the foam and started cutting them out. Holy ****! Soooooo much cutting. At this moment I wish I had a band saw or scroll saw. All you foam builders here have some serious patience.
Patience.... Or just a big laser cutter lol

Hey, at least you have one of those cutting boards... I never bought one so I was cutting on a sheet of cardboard. (I wouldn't recommend it lol)
Yeah. When I made the decision to start foamsmithing, cutting board was part of my must have supply list. Doing my cutting on a glass drafting table would probably be a bad idea. ;)

View attachment 240746 I haven't had much of a chance to work on this. I finally got all the template bits traced out on the foam and started cutting them out. Holy ****! Soooooo much cutting. At this moment I wish I had a band saw or scroll saw. All you foam builders here have some serious patience.

Great job PaiganBoi, but please watch your language.

Dirtdives, sorry man. My bad.
Question for any foam builders watching this thread. As I was beginning to glue some bits together I noticed something. As I was looking at the model on Viewer it looked like some of the connecting edges need to be beveled. Am I right to assume this? Also there are extra cuts needed to make some folds and what not.
* sigh * Here I thought this was not going to be that difficult.
Now I am worried that my Shin piece was not scaled properly to account for the geometry changes.

The thing with foam is you might not need those extra cuts so you could wait until you have the fit done. And yes some seams you will need to bevel the edges.

Managed to finally get some work done on my first shin piece.
20170318_235529.jpg
20170318_235539.jpg
20170318_235547.jpg

After I got to this point I decided to stick my leg in there to see how it fits. To my horror, I couldn't get my foot passed the cross piece. I made it too small. Looks like I didn't scale properly. Sigh. I will complete it anyways and use it as a referece/test piece for painting. Then, its back to the drawing board.

Now you know how it feels...........Bigfoot!!!! Looks good though.......Tip: when hot-gluing pieces, try to get the glue to go from front towards the back.......meaning don't just push the pieces together. Put the edges of the seam together and then "Roll" the rest of joint together. this will prevent the glue from squirting out the front. It's nothing a little sanding can't correct but when you have those deep grooved joints like you have......its' kind of hard to get to. Great job though.......!!!

I actually used contact cement instead of hot glue. The mess that you see is sloppy application and the bits pulling apart slightly. I didn't allow the cement to set long enough before putting together. There is a lot of stress on some areas since some spots were forced together. I also made the mistake of not heat forming some bits. Thus adding some of the stress.

Oh....yeah, kind of messy.......and yeah..not heat forming before gluing will put stress on any type of adhesive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back