Foam ODST: Version 1 was okay. Now for Version 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhhhh, second hand evil is so rewarding!!!!! Unintentional mblackwell1002, but well received news.
giphy (16).gif

Been using contact cement for a bit, not an expert at all but something I discovered recently is if you blob some on with a brush then use a straight offcut of foam to spread and thin it, you get much less mess, no blob in of the glue, it cures quicker and the seal is stronger. I now set up a phone timer for 10mins and watch it count down itching to stick it together but you must resist!
Sorry if I've just taught grandmother to suck eggs ;)

Shoulders look sweet mate (y)
So what's the visor material like? Good visibility through it? How thick are the sheets? I imagine with those sheet dimensions you'd only get 1 helmet per sheet. I'm still researching visor options myself...so if I ordered 1 of these I wanna make sure its perfect as 1 sheet will set me back just under NZD$50 :(

Shoulders look sweet mate (y)
So what's the visor material like? Good visibility through it? How thick are the sheets? I imagine with those sheet dimensions you'd only get 1 helmet per sheet. I'm still researching visor options myself...so if I ordered 1 of these I wanna make sure its perfect as 1 sheet will set me back just under NZD$50 :(
The visor material I guess is maybe a smidgen thinner than cardstock and very flexible. Visibility is good.
20170812_130523.jpg This is how it looks like with the material about 2 to 4 inches away from my phone.
You are correct to assume that it's one sheet per visor.
What I'm worried about is when it comes time to make my visor is how I will get some of the bends that are in an ODST visor. I don't want to fudge it and have to wait another week and spend another $26 CAD.

I was scrolling down and when I reached the pic showing off the two visors I could have swore that at first it was a picture of a spider in the top left corner....
IMG_3506.GIF

So freaky...

UPDATE:
Just a small one. Last weekend I had hoped to finish both forearms and shoulders. That didn't happen. Heh.
Been very busy this week with life so not much was done. Got the forearms assembled. I had to customize them a little when I realised that the writs were gonna be teeny tiny mainly due to the design and half inch foam.
View attachment 249519
With the pic above, if I had proceeded to close it up my son's hand s would not fit through. Solution: cut out som wedges and to make the opening wider.
View attachment 249520
Here it is with the wedges added and closed up. Now the opening are wide enough.
View attachment 249521
Now the other thing I have to fix is the upper part of the forearm. The way they are designed has a lot of space on the upper part. Will have to make a cuff or just extra foam on the inside to fit my son's super skinny pipe cleaner arms.
EDIT: ignore this post. It's suppose to be in my Project Mini Chief thread.:p

Last edited:
Once Project Mini Chief is completed by the end of October, I'll be continuing with my ODST build. For now here is a pic of all my parts (including Mini Chief) and prop guns dumped into a corner on top of a bean bag chair. Not seen here are the ODST shins... They are in the washroom/place where I cement everything cuz there is a vent.
20170920_194510.jpg

Hmmmmm... yeah... Project Mini Chief was completed a long time ago now and I still haven't come back to finish my build.
Chalk it up to a serious case of being a Lazy ass and super cold weather. My basement is bloody cold during the winter months.
I need motivation to get off my butt and not be such a wimp. This build WILL be completed.... eventually.

Well we know he's got 1/2 of that motivation down........he just needs the "bad" part. :D

Well we know he's got 1/2 of that motivation down........he just needs the "bad" part. :D
I don't know.... its getting hard to kick the "lazy" and make it "bad" right now.
Distractions are making things worse. My son has gotten into a huge Pokemon fix and has dragged me into it. I had to learn how to play the card game so that I could teach him how to play a real match instead of him just collecting the cards and making up games with his schoolmates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back