My First Ever Pep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uepari

Okay, well, Halloween is around the corner, and I wanna go as something completely awesome, so I decided on the Master Chief. Sorry I don't have pics yet, but I'll definitly have them up by 4 PM or so tomorrow. Me and my dad have so far applied the first layer of resin to the outside of the helmet, right handplate, right shoulder, and right shin. I'm almost finished pepping the right boot and right forearm, and I'm cutting the chest (again).

The way I'm doing this, I cut out all the pieces of a given piece of armor, fold, then take the piece and glue any place(s) where it glues to itself. Once I have all the pieces cut out, I immediatly start cutting out the next piece while I glue the newly cut out one. In this way I can make steady progress with making three or four pieces at a time. Think I can have it finished by Halloween?

I generally work on it for 6-8 hours a day every day, so I think I can. As I said, pics tomorrow.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, that resin is potent stuff. It's been nearly 10 hours since we resined and the entire house still smells like resin, even though we did it in the garage...

Sounds like you're off to a good start! :) I'm also trying to get mine done by Halloween. Good luck!

Looking forward to your progress pictures. Best of luck to finish for Halloween.

Gonna get the potent smell of the resin out of your suit by 10/31? Make sure to wear the proper respirators!

I pepped some helmets and it smelled bad to put on for weeks.

Dan W. said:
Sounds like you're off to a good start! :) I'm also trying to get mine done by Halloween. Good luck!

Yep! And good luck to you, too! I can't wait until this is finished...I actually plan to make these as fast possible, then I'll make higher detail parts after Halloween, but for now, I just want the basic suit. =P

Last edited by a moderator:
BenUnit2000 said:
Looking forward to your progress pictures. Best of luck to finish for Halloween.

Gonna get the potent smell of the resin out of your suit by 10/31? Make sure to wear the proper respirators!

I pepped some helmets and it smelled bad to put on for weeks.

When I said potent I didn't mean bad, I just meant powerful. I actually do not mind the smell of resin. Actually, I don't have a respirator. My dad stood by while I resined and we had a fan going and the garage door open, so I'm not dead yet. =P I plan to get a respirator ASAP, though.

Oh, also failed to mention I have almost the entire undersuit done. I just need the hood-thing for the helmet, and the gloves. If you guys know where I can get those for cheap, that would help a lot

(Also, the total cost of the undersuit so far: 10 dollars. That's the entire body, arms, and legs. I <3 the sales rack at Wal-Mart. The pants are -perfect-, but the shirt could be a little better...)

I think you will easily be able to finish by halloween, I have been workin on mine for a few days and almost finished, just time and determination.

Awesome. I love how everyone's gearing up for Halo-ween with their armours. It'll for sure impress anyone you'll come across. Bar, party or otherwise.

There should be a nice explosion of pictures of people's completed suits by then.

Uepari said:
When I said potent I didn't mean bad, I just meant powerful. I actually do not mind the smell of resin. Actually, I don't have a respirator. My dad stood by while I resined and we had a fan going and the garage door open, so I'm not dead yet. =P I plan to get a respirator ASAP, though.

Oh, also failed to mention I have almost the entire undersuit done. I just need the hood-thing for the helmet, and the gloves. If you guys know where I can get those for cheap, that would help a lot

(Also, the total cost of the undersuit so far: 10 dollars. That's the entire body, arms, and legs. I <3 the sales rack at Wal-Mart. The pants are -perfect-, but the shirt could be a little better...)

For the neckseal I got mine off EBay for about 8 bucks so you just have to look around as for gloves I just use neoprene gloves from the hardware store.

nice would b nice to c progess pix so yeah what mk is it is it the mk VI and u are just flying with it arent u cant wait to c it also if u are looking for the hood thing go to any army surplus store and they should have them or ask for a Balaclavas they are cheap

Cope Cowboy said:
I think you will easily be able to finish by halloween, I have been workin on mine for a few days and almost finished, just time and determination.

Yep...

Dan W. said:
Mine are high detail parts, although I started mine a couple months ago. :3

I actually downloaded everything last November. I only got around to starting this in early September. =3 I'm a massive procrastinator, but once I get the project started I don't stop until it's finished

AngelVirusX said:
Awesome. I love how everyone's gearing up for Halo-ween with their armours. It'll for sure impress anyone you'll come across. Bar, party or otherwise.

There should be a nice explosion of pictures of people's completed suits by then.

I plan to just walk around the neighborhood on Halloween night, and I'll also be making an appearence at my orthodontist's at their Halloween party, and also will probably go to Gamestop in it, buy ODST...

Nintendude said:
For the neckseal I got mine off EBay for about 8 bucks so you just have to look around as for gloves I just use neoprene gloves from the hardware store.

Okay, I'll look around for stuff.

spartan-005 said:
nice would b nice to c progess pix so yeah what mk is it is it the mk VI and u are just flying with it arent u cant wait to c it also if u are looking for the hood thing go to any army surplus store and they should have them or ask for a Balaclavas they are cheap

Okay, and pics at the end of this post.

Yodajammies said:
I built my first suit in 17 days. You can easily get this done by halloween.

Cool.

Pics:

Workstation:

p9234027.jpg

Right shin Piece:

p9234028.jpg

Right hand plate:

p9234029.jpg

Right shoulder piece: (Slightly warped, but salvageable)

p9234030.jpg

Helmet:

p9234032.jpg

p9234033.jpg

p9234035.jpg

(Those are my glasses I'm holding, BTW)

The entire basement of my house smells like resin. XP

Cope Cowboy said:
Looks fantastic. What pep model helm is that?

Uh...Normal detail Robogenius, I believe.

Also, I scrapped the shoulder piece. It was warped out of shape, and the resin cracked when I tried to fix it.

Okay, tried fiberglassing, and I failed so miserably. I'm actuall jumping track and I will be using the hot glue method.

Another update:

This will be my ONLY Mark VI armor. After this I will be building an ODST costume, but after that it's really up in the air. I'll probably work on weapons, mostly.

Oh, and also, what's the best tool for cutting through resin? I need to get the paper visor off the helmet.

Very nice!! I just pepped and Resined my first ever RoboGenisis Mark IV Helmet today, man that Resin is some nasty stuff! I am shooting to have at minimum the Helmet and all Low Detail armor by Halo-Ween! I do want to work my way up to High Detail on all parts but dont want to rush the project. Good luck on the rest of your build.

Doubler24 said:
Very nice!! I just pepped and Resined my first ever RoboGenisis Mark IV Helmet today, man that Resin is some nasty stuff! I am shooting to have at minimum the Helmet and all Low Detail armor by Halo-Ween! I do want to work my way up to High Detail on all parts but dont want to rush the project. Good luck on the rest of your build.

Yeah, resin really gets to you...I need to take a break from it for a couple days, it's playing with my mind...I can't get the smell out of my mind...

I found out the hard way not to rush it...rushing it caused my shoulder piece to warp out of shape. =( As I said, after this, I'm trying ODST.

I'm thinking it looks more like the Mr Oreo smoothed RoboGenesis helm. The regular is a little more blocky in the back. Use a rotary tool like a dremel with a cutting attachment to cut out the visor. I skipped the respirator on my first piece since I was working outside, but when I picked up a respirator the next day I found that it really was about a million times more comfortable doing the resin work. If you can leave the piece someplace warm it will cure faster, or you can try spraying some paint primer on the inside once its had about a day to air out. That should effectively stop the slow outgassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back