My First Halo Suit and of course i have some questions :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agonize

Hello there form Germany,

my name is Michael and i am 23 Years old and i study plastics engineering.

First of all, my English isn´t the best so please don´t judge me!

At carnival this year i build A Lord Revan costume from Star Wars and it was a lot of fun!
But i Build it without any Plans only from Pictures... It looks very nice but it´s not perfect!

I made it from Paper and Glue in Germany its called Pappmasché but i don´t know the word in English and cant find it. Finally i used Body Filler and Paint :)

Can Post a few pics if someone is interested.

Now i want a Halo suit, At this Moment I am not really deep into Halo... I only Played Halo 1 ... and again dont Judge me please...

There are a lots of Posts in this Forum and i already began to read some of them!

Also i downloaded Pepakura Viewer to look at some Models and Print them out!

But i dont know which Models to take... there are to much... I want some easy Masterchief Models for my First Suit, are there any?

Also i don´t know how to Scale them in Pepakura. Is there any option? I´m 1,90m tall and i think this could be a Problem.

I don´t know much About the Resin and Fiberglass thing also but i want to take one step after the other and i have given me some time to do the Suit..

So first step is to Pep all the Parts out and then i will go on with the next step!

I hope there are some Guys who can help me :)

greetings

Agonize

Agonize- Post some pictures of your suit :) People here would love to see your armour. Plus showing your costume will help everyone kind of look at your skills =P

I have a halo suit and it is made of 2 things
-Fiberglass/Paper/Bondo....body filler
-Foam Play Mats/Work out Mats and Hot glue

Go to http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/36202-Upgrade-on-Mark-5-full-build/page7 to view my suit

Anyways- being 1,90m tall shouldn't be a problem.......

You need to download -Pepakura Designer - it can change the scaling size of armour you download from Wiki or other places--
Download from Wiki and don't Download the HDD FIles...they are alittle more complicated---
----Look at my suit and most of mine are the ones you want =D

-Things you will need-- Dremal Tool --- Click here---> http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35146-Help-buying-Dremel-Tool

also make sure you have about 100 to 200 dollars... because I have spent that easy on my suit--THE VISOR IS $30,Bondo $60, Fiberglass $30, Paint $40, and other stuff---

Anyways if you have any questions - Post Pictures (worth 1000 words) and ask away =D

Okay i will upload some Pictures from the Helmet i am Working on!

I making Progress really fast but i think its to small to fit my Head. I will finish it Anyways to upgrade my Pep skills :)

I already found the pep designer to scale the models up! But there's a Problem, actually i only have a A4 Printer and if i scale them up they don't fit on the Paper :/ one solution is to cut some Pieces in half but i don't know if this will work...

Are there any tools which allow me to adjust the suit right to my body?

Here are some pics of my carnival costume:

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

43062627840736556582010.jpg

its not that good because i have done the whole thing in like 2 or 3 Days... for the Halo suit i have like 10 month :)

hope you like it

looks good- you should add lights inside mask and visor =D
--this is probably star wars and I know nothing about star wars... =D

Anyways, good luck on your project (Printer Problem...get another printer or use another xD )

soo, its been a while and i have done some parts of my armor, but i have a little problem with the helmet...

i already build 2 1/2 of them, my first atemp i had some problems and it dont look very good, but i found out that my head never fit in the hole...

at the second one my head dosent fit either... its a little bigger...

and the third fits and is well pepped... but... it looks to big! can you help me?

is the helm really to big or not?

its normal to cut the helm in 2 pieces to fit it with magnets at the end?

here the pic:

scaled.php

sorry for my bad english skills, i hope you understand :)

thanks

Agonize

First of all, since no one else has, I'd like to welcome you to the 405th. I'm sure there will be plenty of people here who are interested to see what you can do and to help you along the way.

Yes, the helmet looks a bit large. I would guess that the first two you built were probably close to the correct size. The reason your head would not fit into the opening is because the opening is too small. For my helmet ( and every helmet I've built for that matter) I had to widen the opening so my head would fit. This is done a bit later in the build by simply cutting sections of the opening away.

For scaling, there are plenty of scaling tutorials, but for most helmets, it is rather straight forward. Simply measure the height of your head from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head (straight up and down, not diagonally), then add a few centimeters to account for padding, and that should be the height of your helmet. For example, my head height is close to 28cm, I add 2cm for padding, so most of the helmets I build are 30cm or 300mm in height. There are a few helmets where this does not work out, but that is something you will discover along the way, for the MK VI helmet (which appears to be the one you are building), this method works.

From what I have seen from your Revan build, you have the skills necessary to complete a halo suit. Keep working at it and I'm sure you'll do great. Good luck!

Ah, A new comer with enthusiasm. My Favorites! Welcome to 405th, Sounds like you've done research, but scaling is one of those things that need work. Like carpathiavh said, thats how you should do the helmets, bottom of chin to top of head, I usually add more like 3-4 cm for padding, but its all relative. The Revan build is good, He is my favorite fictional character of ALL TIME! In pep designer there is a option in the settings tab, paper and print I think, to change the paper. After that all you need to do is move some of the pieces around, If you need more help I'll be glad to lend a hand.

Welcome from a new member also.

I had a problem with my first helmet, I could not put it on, but I realised that the bit around the bottom of the helmet is meant to be (on the real thing) soft flexible rubber not hard card.

If there is an inwards lip around the bottom that you can't get your head into maybe take a snip out of it and try squeezing it on. You may find (like I did) that actually the smaller one is the perfect size.

good luck.

Manix

scaled.php

scaled.php

I think this one fits my head perfekt :)

its the first part that aktually fits me!

started to build some hd forarmes... and i must say... for my build the low def files will pretty much work... i think they can look cool to,

the problem is, there are much things in the pep files that are very little or wrong... and i working with 300g/m2 cardboard!

are there any good builds with low deff files?

i think i will do Biceps, Forearm, Chest, Pelvis, Greave, Cuisse in Low Deff

and boots and handplates in HD

The underarmor i will doo with foam free hand

i will build one completed suit and then i can build some hd parts if i dont like the low ones!

what do you say to the helmet?

Your helmet size looks much better! As for any decent low-def builds, I've seen a few that looked great, but I can't for the life of me remember who did the builds. Take some time to look around the forums and you may come across a few. Really, it all depends on what you can do beyond the pep stage. If you can get a solid base, the amount of detail you could add later on is up to you.

scaled.php

started to build some hd forarmes... and i must say... for my build the low def files will pretty much work... i think they can look cool to,

the problem is, there are much things in the pep files that are very little or wrong... and i working with 300g/m2 cardboard!

are there any good builds with low deff files?

i think i will do Biceps, Forearm, Chest, Pelvis, Greave, Cuisse in Low Deff

and boots and handplates in HD

The underarmor i will doo with foam free hand

i will build one completed suit and then i can build some hd parts if i dont like the low ones!

what do you say to the helmet?

The helmet size looks fine. If you have experienced in costume making, and if you have patience, I suggest that you go HD all the way. LD may speed up the process but the build quality is not desirable. I've done several builts (see my signature) and everytime I review what I did, I always feel like kicking myself. The work you put in to make LD look presentable is just not worth it.

For completed LD suit, you can checkout Spitfire's here. He's done some fine work out of LD version.
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31247-Spitfire22V-s-LD-Mark-VI-build-Now-Completed

For HD suits, check these 2 builds. They are always my inspirations.
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25298-LongShot-X-s-Mark-VI-HD-MJOLNIR-Armor-WIP

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/36171-CEREAL-S-Mk-VI-Comprehensive-WIP-**(With-Videos)**

thanks for all the replies

im not very experienced at building armor, this is why i use the low files :)

but the link to the low def files is quite interesting, im planing to add some details too!

Finished 2 other parts in Pep status, will post pics later...

but i have a problem, the glue that i use can be washed out at 60 degrees

the Polyestherresin i have, will go about 100 degrees at the hardening progress

is that a problem?

sorry for the bad english...

scaled.php

scaled.php

here is what if done so far :)

i think the size fits very well!

what do you think? will add some more details to the forearm later the biceps looks fine to me, only will add LEDs to it!

Update, got the left shin peped today!

is the scaling right? or is it to small? or to big?

its very difficult to get my foot in :/

scaled.php

scaled.php

Looks just a tad on the large size, but you could probably get away with it. Typically, there is a few cm between the top of the boot and the bottom of the shin, and the top of the shin should be about even with your knee. I know the desire is to put your knee behind the big "knee pad" looking part, but this prevents proper leg movement (my first pair of shins were huge). As for getting the part on, put it on backwards, then when it is on, flip it around. Same thing when taking it off, flip it around so the front is pointing back and slide it off. My shins go on and off nicely this way, but when I first tried one on after hardening, I tried to take it off by simply sliding it off and it wouldn't come off. I feared that I would have to cut the thing off. Flipping them around to take them off works beautifully.

cut the shin from top to bottom on the inside so you can take it off and on easier but have some way to reconnect them like buckles, magnets, elastic bands, ect

Again me :)

Pepped one boot, but i dont know if it fits very well...

it looks a little big, there is 1cm space in length with my shoes inside...

the first pick is with my shoes on in the boots, and there isnt enough space between shin and boot..

second one i lifted my shoe a little... i have the plan to glue some 1- 1,5 cm high wood plank with some rubber? (maybe from an old tire) under the front and rear shoe, cut the shoe in half and stick it with velcro tape at the wood planks, also i will add some details to it, but first i need the right scale :p

does it look to big or not?

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

so finished the Left Cuisse, in the pep file it says its the right one, but i think its left( i saw it this way in a other thread)

i must glue some additional paper to geht a better fit, im a litte to fat i think :D maybe i will add 1 or 2 cm more!

how is the scale say something :p

because i have no idea if it fits right, dont see this on my self :/

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back