My First Halo Suit and of course i have some questions :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
So gonna push this threat a little bit!

its been a long time since i postet the last time, and long time i didnt work much on my suit, but a recent event brought me back to it.

i have now all the parts in pep and a few are glased too.

i found out its not so easy to get everything right.

especially the filling/smoothing work is very hard. maybe its because i work with the LD files... and im a little bit of a perfectionist.

There Are a Lot of scratches left which i must fix. Also the Color dosent look right! Which color should i use? Any RAL numbers?

and here are some Pics:

40001743002713373717550.jpg

30908337167900957198819.jpg

Bump!

after a half year of doing just nothing im back into making my armor.

Pics will follow in 2 Weeks then the finals are over and i have 2 month time to get some work done!

But i have a question that i cant get an answer to!

I dont like the look of my nearly finished pieces. the details are missing! Of coure it will look better with the right Paint but i want some more details!

But i dont know how! and cant find what i need in the forum! so maybe someone can help me.

I have Fiberglas Resin and this **** is a pain in the ass! or im doing something wrong...
i want, i dont know how its called.... a ?offset?.. my plan was to cut out the details glue them on and straightem them with polyesterresin. but i cant use foam because it will get destroyed by the resin.

cause i think it looks to smoth no edges... -_-

hope someone can help!

greetings Agonize

Sorry my english isn´t so good

Hi Agonize...I'm a super noob here so I know I won't give you the best answer but I do have some info I can share. I'll start with paint color...I think the Proper green is a Sage Green (I don't have a number or anything just read that somewhere)

For details in bondo, I understand you have 2 or three options. High def files is one, but since you used low def, that is sort of useless advice. The two valid options are carve the details into the bondo or shape the Bondo as you apply it.

On post about carving http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/2814-Tutorial-Using-Bondo-for-Detailing
A tutorial covering basics
(the next part shows some detailing work)

Finally a great post with awesome detailing info http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...ach-helmet-build-quot?highlight=Playing+cards

Further research found this...which looks like the go to tutorials for detailing http://www.youtube.com/user/dghezzo

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, firstly please watch the language. There isn't a need to curse and profanity is frowned on.

As for details, it depends on what you want to do, and from what I read there are a few different things.

Cutting details - dremel! Usually careful use of a rotary tool will let you carve the detail lines, vents etc with some ease once you're comfortable with the tool.

Building sticking-out details - Bondo, plastic, foamies. Depending on the size, you can use these to build out detail. Bondo/Rondo is great for building large details, you could also cut up pieces of plastic and glue them down, I've seen people using liquid plastic or epoxy putty to do it also, and certain foams (I've heard EVA foam can, but never tested) can handle a layer of resin on top of them, so cutting the shape out of those and gluing them down works too.

Squaring off edges - as we sand down a piece, sometimes the edges lose their sharpness and become rounded. One way I've seen to deal with this is to lay down painter's tape with the edge ON side A of the edge you want to build. Then lay down bondo on side B of the edge to be rebuilt. When the bondo is half hardened but still putty-like you peel the tape and it will cut the bondo sharp. Then you can sand it down to the right height, and lay some more bondo on side A to finish it.
The other way would be to simply lay bondo down over the edge, and use a mouse sander (block or electric) to re-square it off by careful sanding.

If you haven't watched it, this video tutorial series covers how to use bondo to finish and detail armor. The results of his pieces speak for themselves:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...-Chief-**-A-Step-By-Step-Tutorial-(My-Way)-**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back