My First Helmet! Eod

Status
Not open for further replies.
After much hassle to get the files for the helmet on my Mac (bad idea. Now I know why people just say 'buy a pc') I figured it would be easier to go next door to my grandparents house and use my grandfathers computer, because he has the only Windows PS between my house and their house.

Simple enough:
-Download Pepakura Designer
-Download Supertaco's EOD helmet
-Print out on cardstock
-MAKE!

The actual construction went very well. Not nearly as difficult as I had thought it would be. Until the end. Getting everything to align right and fit together was a PAIN. But I got it eventually, with not TOO much trouble.

Here's a runthrough
DAY 1:

First piece, done without the numbers, printed from my Mac. Not too hard.

End of first short day of work. Face complete.

Seems to fit.

DAY 2:

Forehead complete. I want to stick an ATM card or something in the little indent there, haha.

I'm happy that the forehead is complete..

Top of head complete. Easy piece to make, and it was actually kinda fun.

Temples complete. This part was tricky. Finding the right corresponding pieces was hard. I actually had to look at the numbers for this part.

Back of the head complete, but not attached. This part is comprised of a bunch of strips... and a loootttt of tabs. Tabs are a pain to cut out.

And finally.. after the frustration of trying to get that back piece to fit right and align...

Ta-daa!

The scale is great. But I'll have to trim a little bit off the rim around the hole, cuz I have to pretty much reverse-berth my head in there.

The trickiest spot to get as close to perfect as my OCD will let me were the "ears", I guess you could say. The area right behind the things that stick out on the cheeks. Lots of angles to get right.

Here.

And to top it all off...

Thanks, all.
Feedback, of course, is welcome.

Looks like your of to a promising start there! Keep up the good work.

.....though... whats with the manatee? lol I HATE those oceanic speedbumps :cautious:

BlacRoseImmortal said:
Looks like your of to a promising start there! Keep up the good work.

.....though... whats with the manatee? lol I HATE those oceanic speedbumps :cautious:

Aahahah. It's just that the top of the helmet reminds me of a sad manatee.

Last edited by a moderator:
LMAO, manatees are sad. They are sad because they are fat and ugly. I have an aunt that looks like a manatee and I dont like her either lol... actually hold on... heres a tattoo I have on my right ankle:

l_800e834400b1847ff2fe54f65dd019cf.jpg

LOL

Anyways, your helmet. How do you plan on painting it when its done?

Friendly said:
Oceanic speedbumps FTW!! Your helmet is win, too!

Next one I hit with my boat I'm turning it into awholelotta manateeburgers

EDIT: Oops I forgot to ask TheBlackSpot what he has planned for the rest of his armor. Like is he gonna wear the EOD with the Mark VI body armor? Sorry BlackSpot, I wasnt tryin to jack your thread :oops:

BlacRoseImmortal said:

XD Too funny, BRI, too funny... Let's try not to jack TBS's thread, shall we?

BlacRoseImmortal said:

Hahaha, that tattoo is awesome. My mom's (ex, I think)-best friend looks like a manatee. Fat as hell, beady eyes, and whiskers.

As for the paint-job..
I think I'm gonna go for steel all over, then on the top, where the secondary color is in the game, a dark-ish red--but not on the mouth-area. And black in certain spots, such as the top of the head, around the eyes, and at the neck, like in the game.
And the 28 on the mouth area, like in my icon.

--it's okay, don't worry about jackin' mah thread. I like the occasional manatee-bash sesh.

Dude, that 28 on the mouth piece will look so badass :cool: I like how you have your avatar, it looks like the 28 is carved into the mouthpiece

BlacRoseImmortal said:
Dude, that 28 on the mouth piece will look so badass :cool: I like how you have your avatar, it looks like the 28 is carved into the mouthpiece

:D Thanks!

I also have this, an other sig I made, but chose not to use:

Similar numbering on the side of the EOD's head. I think, though, with my piece I'll just stick to the 28 on the mouthpiece, rather than the side(s).

I think I'm going out to get resin and bondo tomorrow, so I might resin it this weekend.
:lol:

Th3 FETT MAN said:
Your Eod Helmet is looking great man.

Thanks.

Well, as it turns out, I don't really have sufficient funding, at the moment, for the necessary materials to continue this project.
But soon enough...

Oh, and BRI, I swear I've played with you on your Lil Ms Overlord account. I really recognize that name..

TheBlackSpot1228 said:
Thanks.

Well, as it turns out, I don't really have sufficient funding, at the moment, for the necessary materials to continue this project.
But soon enough...

Well i cant wait to see it done, I was going to make an eod for my brother and wondering how hard it is.

Th3 FETT MAN said:
Well i cant wait to see it done, I was going to make an eod for my brother and wondering how hard it is.

It's not really hard at all. With a slight exception for the "ear" area I mentioned, the helmet was fun to make.

IXA said:
That is sweet, BTW abit off topic, when do I get to start a thread?

Thanks.
And I'm not entirely sure. I thought you could start them right away. But I'm sure it's in a sticky somewhere. You're really new, you should try and read most--if not all-- of the stickies.

So I've decided on what to do for the lenses..
I'm gonna make them glow like they do in my avatar.

Simple plan for how it'll go down..
Form some clear (or red) plastic to the right shape, or mold it.
Place red LED's around the edges of them.

Because it's not much surface area, I'm figuring it should at least light up the whole pieces, and hopefully make them glow red.

Wuddyathink?

nice helm im starting mine in ten minutes when its all done printing...for the eyes you can go to a sunglass vendor and negotiate a price for a good pair of lass and use the lenses for the eyes...thats just some food for thought!!!

Keep up the good work!!

Robbie Social

EDIT: the LEDs may cause some slight blindness in you retna(how ever you spell it) and i wouldnt recommend it unless u can come up with a shield for your eyes(like those goggles with the rubber thing around them..not hose but for an example.) typing for the floor(dang wireless so excuss typos)

TheBlackSpot1228 said:
So I've decided on what to do for the lenses..
I'm gonna make them glow like they do in my avatar.

Simple plan for how it'll go down..
Form some clear (or red) plastic to the right shape, or mold it.
Place red LED's around the edges of them.

Because it's not much surface area, I'm figuring it should at least light up the whole pieces, and hopefully make them glow red.
Wuddyathink?

Wouldn't that obscure vision because of the glare?

Either that, or EVERYTHING would be red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back