My First Helmet - Help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobiffer

Well, i decided to give Google SketchUp a go, so i downloaded it yesterday and been learnin how to use it by making my own helmet. heres the Helmet:
Myfirsthelmet.png

not the best, but i was surprised how it turned out for my first time using the program. heck, ive never really used anythind 3d b4, other than Inventor and SolidWorks.

Heres a rough fit of the helmet:
roughsizepreview.png

i need help on two things mainly.
1) Could anyone unfold this for me?
2) how would i go about making the hole on the bottom to make it wearable? i know how to cut material, but i want to know like, the shape or whatever, or how big the hole would need to be.

Thanks for reading and i look forward for feedback :)

Thanks,
bobiffer

looks really neat, but I'm terrified to see that thing in Pepakura. Google sketchup has a lot of open edges (non-join-able pieces) when put in pep designer. Export it as an obj. and post it here,

amazing job with sketchup that program pisses the hell out of me does great with solid hard surface objects not so much in the organic

as Boba Fett said the open edges will be killer if you can do it props to you

For the hole in the bottom of it take a loose messurement of you haed at you nose, I say at you nose because that is usually where the head is the largest then cut it a bit larger not too much just a little bit larger so your nose will go through the hole with out getting hurt.....the best solutition wuold be to take a piece of cardboard or something stiff and make a templet start off small and keep cutting it till you feel the size is just right then transfer that hole to the bottom of your helm

actually sketchup is what i use to close open edges open it in pep then go back to sketchup and its pretty easy to find where the mesh doesnt align or whatever and fix it

yah it does look pretty neat but i too am scarred to see that in pepakura and how did you do that in google sketchup, i have that program and i cannot do that, i have tried to make a halo reach AR but it came out terrible so i am wondering how you did that with sketchup?

That's a pretty cool looking helm. I'd be a bit worried about how square it is at the bottom, I'm not sure you'll be able to fit it over your ears. I think USmarine02 has the right idea about templating the bottom hole. You might have to alter the bottom of your model quite a bit.
Try making a mock-up model with a lot fewer surfaces to test out your unfolding skills and see if it fits right. I'd hate to see you waste five hours building the model and then find out you can't see X|

Wow, guys! thanks for all the comments and stuff! im sorry i havent been on in forever. im trying to find my sketchup file so i can upload it, but im not sure where it is... my comps crash 2-3 times since i made it and had to reload my OS. i did backup but it'll take alot of searchin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back