My Halo 1 Armor Build (Can't post in creation.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deltalead38

Jr Member
I am currently starting a full set of Mark V armor from Halo: Combat Evolved

I picked it because it was less complex than the halo 2/3 armor and in my opinion, just cooler in all......

I have pepped the left bicep and hardened the inside using the hot glue method, and because of living in China, I have very limited access to primer for spray painting. I cannot post pics......yet....... have also pepped my left forearm, but not hardened'

helmet is too dang small......can't fit my head in it, even though I scaled it perfectly :angry i guess I'll have to re pep it.

I'll post pics when possible, and please I have a few questions to be answered (don't give me that crap about the stickies, i have read them and i still have these questions)

1. Is it normal to not be able to fit your head in a helmet at first?

2. Is primer for painting ABSOLUTELY necessary?

3. When finished, how do I install those tiny lights on the bicep, thigh, backpack and chest of halo 1 armor?? (Please, for cheap and simple tools and pieces, i live in china:p)

Thanks!

I'll post pics when possible

If you think the helmet is large enough to fit your head, but you just cant put it on because the hole is too small, simply wait until you harden it and then enlarge the opening until you can put it on.

As for primer, it is not absolutely essential. However, it helps to provide a good surface for the final paint adhesion, and it is also usually used to prep the pieces (i.e. primer, sand, primer, sand, etc until surface is ready for paint).

Well its hard to answer your helmet question without pics they help alot in giving advice, but in general most helmets scaled correctly don't just fit over your head, usually you have to trim the bottom pieces to slip it over your head, also you asked if primer must be used before you paint, it is not necessary but for a good base coat for your final paint to stick to its a good idea, and if you plan to do bondo work to your armor, it helps to find high and low spots plus imperfections, but if you plan to just paint over the paper you probably be fine, and for lighting, there is a tut on the forums somewhere on how to do this, also you can check out Longshots MKVI build in the elite section, he does show a little on how he did some of his lighting to give you ideas on how to do your own, also check in the search bar see what you can find.

Anyways good luck on your build and welcome to the 405th, also post pics it helps alot for advice

First of all Delta, good luck with your project. Secondly, you can't post in creation because of your status. Once, you reach infantryman, you will be able to. And third, you might want to get some pics up pretty quick otherwise your thread will most likely be locked by mods. In the future try and have pics before starting a thread. In the past people have started threads promising to do or have something big and it turned out to be just a bunch of hot air. Not saying yours is, just a heads up, that's all.

I am currently starting a full set of Mark V armor from Halo: Combat Evolved

1. Is it normal to not be able to fit your head in a helmet at first?

2. Is primer for painting ABSOLUTELY necessary?

3. When finished, how do I install those tiny lights on the bicep, thigh, backpack and chest of halo 1 armor?? (Please, for cheap and simple tools and pieces, i live in china:p)

1. It is normal. Once the helmet is hardened, you can trim off the access until your head can go through. You can also opt to cut along a line (such as back of the helmet) that can be opened and closed so your head can go through.

2. Primer helps you see the imperfection. Any bumps on your helmet can be seen a lot more clearly. This helps you in decidng to put more bondo and do more sanding. Finally, it helps paints stick better.

3. Find some cheap LED lights and powered by 9V battery. The lights are very cheap. You just need to plan ahead on how to wire the lights and where you put the batteries.

First of all Delta, good luck with your project. Secondly, you can't post in creation because of your status. Once, you reach infantryman, you will be able to. And third, you might want to get some pics up pretty quick otherwise your thread will most likely be locked by mods. In the future try and have pics before starting a thread. In the past people have started threads promising to do or have something big and it turned out to be just a bunch of hot air. Not saying yours is, just a heads up, that's all.

I do have some pictures, but the forum won't let me put them on yet......soon though

1. It is normal. Once the helmet is hardened, you can trim off the access until your head can go through. You can also opt to cut along a line (such as back of the helmet) that can be opened and closed so your head can go through.

Thanks lots!!!! Do you know of anyone who added a slash or mechanism to open the helmet more????

2. Primer helps you see the imperfection. Any bumps on your helmet can be seen a lot more clearly. This helps you in decidng to put more bondo and do more sanding. Finally, it helps paints stick better.

the only problem with that is that i have no access to bondo (expensive and rare in beijing) and this is my first suit.... if ya know what I mean, I kinda don't like that Helps see imperfections part..... :) :)

I WILL post pics when i get home from schooll..............and I am allowed by the server........ anyone know why i can't post attachements yet? do i have to be an infantryman or something???/

p.s. oh, yeah, i forgot to tell you guys, do you know i'm actually twelve years old??? :) :) :)

To post pictures get a photobucket account (it's freeeeeEAEAE!!)

Upload your pictures and link them by typing

Or you can just copy paste the IMG code in the description of the picture.

Good luck

Finally Got some Pics

OK!

I have some pics of my progress
here are images of the shoulder that i finished
DSC04580.jpg

DSC04579.jpg

DSC04578.jpg

DSC04576.jpg

now for the forearm (slightly bulky.....)

DSC04582.jpg

DSC04581.jpg

DSC04583.jpg

Currently-not-fitting-yet-helmet time!!!!

DSC04585.jpg

(only slightly tall because of angle and rough setting down.... quite fragile currently)

DSC04586.jpg

There.... I hope that helps you guys visualize my armor so far.......(quite literally)

I will pep the chest armor when i have time after spring break.... there won't be updates for a week or so :(

THanks!

on your helmet pep, I would install your paper visor thing they put in for support I know its not a visor but it will help before you harden it, it will help to stabilize the helmet and help it keep its shape, once its hardened then just cut the paper visor out, but keep up the peping the more you do it the better you will get, keep it up your doing good for your first suit

Thanks lots!!!! Do you know of anyone who added a slash or mechanism to open the helmet more????

Before 405th was taken down by DDOS last year, there was a member who did just that. He cut a line accross the back of the helmet and he used some magnets to reattach the separated piece. Of course since then 405th is no longer like it used to be. You can try http://www.therpf.com/ and search for Iron Man helmets. You can never fit your head in the helmet. So the only way is to cut and then reattach.

the only problem with that is that i have no access to bondo (expensive and rare in beijing) and this is my first suit.... if ya know what I mean, I kinda don't like that Helps see imperfections part.....

Bondo can be found in most auto repair shops. They are essential to fix the body work on cars. Being in China with so many cars, I don't think you will have any trouble finding auto repair shops.

The real problem is you are 12 years old. Using bondo or resin/fiberglass is not good for you. You have to use precautions. Misuse of these materials can kill you.

Finally, I've seen some of your pep pieces. Did you use heavier stock paper? It seems that your helmet is very warped. Even with the visor in place, you may not be able to fix the warping.

I'm really glad to see young one like you build something like that I can hardly get my sons to to do it. you do a good job on the the armor pices but I see you use tape on your build. you should use latex glue or any white glue to hold those tabs and for non toxic stuffs for smoothing your helmet I recommened plaster de paris mix with some water and white glue. mix it in small batch at the time and sand it down with 80-100 grid sand paper. Don't use bondo and don't foget to wear mask while sanding all those stuffs.
Keep up your good work. and I can't wait to see your progress

Thanks for all the comments!!!!

Finally, I've seen some of your pep pieces. Did you use heavier stock paper? It seems that your helmet is very warped. Even with the visor in place, you may not be able to fix the warping.

Yeah, I know.... I started with a random piece that turned out to be the searchlights and the upper right 'shade' for the visor. I am almost sure I should re-pep it. And yes, I used 110 card stock because that was what I had available
I'm really glad to see young one like you build something like that I can hardly get my sons to to do it. you do a good job on the the armor pices but I see you use tape on your build. you should use latex glue or any white glue to hold those tabs and for non toxic stuffs for smoothing your helmet I recommened plaster de paris mix with some water and white glue. mix it in small batch at the time and sand it down with 80-100 grid sand paper. Don't use bondo and don't foget to wear mask while sanding all those stuffs.
Keep up your good work. and I can't wait to see your progress

I don't have many adhesive options. It was either a leaky bottle of super glue, elmer's WASHABLE glue and scotch tape, duct tape or packing tape

I don't think plaster is available anywhere near where I live, but thanks for the tip! :)

Bondo can be found in most auto repair shops. They are essential to fix the body work on cars. Being in China with so many cars, I don't think you will have any trouble finding auto repair shops.

The problem with that is not that Bondo can not be found (well, actually, kind of....) but that the good QUALITY brand cannot be found. Only cheap and crappy Bondo is available as far as I am concerned
The real problem is you are 12 years old. Using bondo or resin/fiberglass is not good for you. You have to use precautions. Misuse of these materials can kill you.

If you didn't see my first post, I am using the hot glue method because resin and fiberglass is dangerous....and rare.

Thanks for the info and comments guys!!!! :) :)

Okay, a few things: 1) it looks like you did a nice, cheap way to reinforce your shoulder, but 2) use the white glue instead of tape. White glue is really easy to work with and only takes a little pressure to set, it's best when lightly applied with a fine paintbrush. 3) Make sure the numbers line up PERFECTLY, or as close as you can get. You will end with a much nicer piece.

I don't use white glue because I only have elmer's glue, and it takes years to set and needs about a minute of pressure..... tape doesn't dissolve in my method and has been working fine...... it's my first suit, so it's okay for it to not be PERFECT. :) :)

THanks!

You should do something about that tape. if you resin it the tape will melt. But really man that isn't exactly a beautiful pep piece. you should re-pep it. Use glue (Fabri-tac(check my thread about it)) and make sure you fold each flap/fold in each direction before gluing. then IMMEDIATELY after the pep is finished resin it. if you do not THE PEP WILL WARP. Remember only constructive criticism in intended:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back