My New Toy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAN II

Sr Member
After having it listed online for about the last week and a half with little to no interest, I finally managed to sell off my five-year-old piece of junk desktop computer. Got the asking price for it, too.

Considering everything I was including in the "package deal" (aside from the tower, I included the flat-screen LCD monitor, 5.1 surround sound system I'd bought maybe two months ago, web cam with earphone/mic component, HP 3-in-1 printer with new ink cartridges, printer paper, external 150 GB hard drive), I think it was a fair price.

Hell, I even threw in the corner desk itself, lol.

Anyway, as soon as the gentleman and his wife came by to pick it up earlier this afternoon, I immediately went out to the Best Buy near my place and got myself a brand-spanking-new Gateway laptop.

I can't remember all the specs at the moment, but I do know it comes with 3 GB memory, 250 GB hard drive (more than double what my old one was) and runs at 1.7 GHz, with a Core 2 Duo (not Dual Core) chipset. And it was on sale, too, so I managed to save myself a bit of cash that way, heh.

The video card isn't high-end enough to play many of the newer games, but as most of my gaming is done on my 360 console, it's not a big deal, lol.

Maybe it's not the best out there, but those of my friends who have Gateway laptops swear by them, and in my opinion it doesn't make for a half-bad mid-range system.

Of course, I would've loved to get one of those Alienware set-ups (they're damn nice, and crazy upgradable), but as I'm on a tight budget right now even thier base models are a little out of my price range at the moment, lol.

Another thing that appeals to me is the choice of materials for the details. I think the brushed aluminum and maroon panels give it a very striking appearance. Certainly a helluva lot better than the other panel design they had available; a light blue "floral" pattern. Not a very manly-esque computer, heh.

Haven't put much on it yet except for the "essentials" (Winamp, for my streaming internet radio; AIM, for chatting), but damn am I having fun with it so far.

Though I've seen others use this particular OS, and have heard very mixed reviews about it, this is the very first time I've used a computer with Windows Vista. Personally, I like it, if you ignore the fact that the OS alone is a major memory hog :p

And now that I have an up-to-date, USB2 compatible system to work with, I can now directly transfer pics from my 7.0 Megapixel digital camera, as well as my cell phone. So, no more having to transfer them to a friend's computer, and then from there transfer them to mine.

Which, of course, I've already done with some random pics. That also means, when I take further progress pics of my armour, they'll be up for viewing almost immediately.

I think I'm really going to like the portability and lack of all those cursed attached peripherals that I had to lumber around with for my desktop system. It'll be a helluva lot easier to take this thing on trips, that's for sure, lol.

Anyway, here are a couple pics of what I got (pardon the quality of the pics, they were taken with my phone camera). This one is actually the in-store display model, but you get the general idea:

Gateway Laptop -- Pic 01

Gateway Laptop -- Pic 02

I'd definately recommend you do when you can afford it, my fellow Canadian SPARTAN. It's very nice having both... :D heh

LMAO!!!:lol:

I was excited about my new purchase, yeah, but it wasn't because of me that the pics were blurry, I swear... :p

Master_Chief_13 said:
hey!....I just noticed that...cool.... :lol: theres only like 8 canadians on here and like 3 who regualrly post

Yep... we're few and far between here. But that's kewl with me. Makes us stand out more from the masses... :D heh

Last edited by a moderator:
i like the color and design of that laptop, I have a dell XPS M1710, I'm a hardcore gamer, thus my need for a high end machine (i also have my pimped out desktop, but i need to upgrade my laptop as its starting to not serve my evil purposes as much as it used to :D )
I would save up and upgrade my laptop, but my 360's died so thats top of the list at the moment.

Electronica and Dance? I love your taste of music :D

I have a friend with a Gateway laptop and he says it's one of the best he's had. Looks a lot like yours, except his only has 2 gigs of RAM. I'm still saving for a laptop >: (

I just got a "new" computer, which was actually salvaged from many other computers. Not bad for a freebie though. 2.4GHz P4, 512 RAM, 40 Gb HD, GeForce FX5500, and sound card isnt all that important.

I want more RAM so I can put Vista on it, and maybe a hard drive upgrade. I'm sad it doesn't have SATA though. Better than my 1.4 with SDRAM haha.

Thanks, guys! Obviously, I am definately very pleased with my latest acquisition, and so just had to share my joy with it, heh.

@ pacbury: Yes, it does come with Media Centre, I just haven't used it much yet (more for Winamp myself), lol.

@ Portal: That's one of the things that really caught my eye about it, was the colour scheme. Very striking appearance. I'm a gamer myself, but not so much PC-wise as console-wise.

So, the fact the video card isn't high-end enough to really support the newer games doesn't bother me. That's what I've got my 360 for, heh.

@ Spartan: Yeah, well... that's just some of the music I like. I'm also big on Trance and Underground. Oh, Ambient Chill is another good one. If you're just wanting to sit back and relax in a social setting at a bar or club, that's the way to go. Good lounge music.

Sounds like your friend would have the lower-end model of what I have, then. Aside from the 1 GB less of memory, his system most likely has a different video card, different processor chipset and runs at a lower GHz than mine, too. That's what I noticed when comparing the two at Best Buy here, anyway.

I would suggest you try and upgrade the on-board memory (at least double it) and hard drive when you're able. I'm not saying it's a bad system -- like you said, "not bad for a freebie" -- but depending on what you plan on doing with this "new" computer of yours it would be highly advisable to up those specs on it as soon as possible.

Hell, I didn't even realize you could still find 40 GB hard drives... lol

oooh sexy laptop :D

Master_Chief_13 said:
hey!....I just noticed that...cool.... :lol: theres only like 8 canadians on here and like 3 who regualrly post
i live in canada! but im english, lol

ooohhhh.... smexy laptop, I suppose you can get sexy pronz? (Arby n' the Chief reference, don't ban :p)

But seriously, that's nice, especially the color. Vista or XP? Couldn't read the "Windows" sticker :p

MaShEdPOTaToEs said:
oooh sexy laptop :D
i live in canada! but im english, lol

I'm Canadian, but can pull off a rather convincing English accent. From what I've been told, anyway :lol:

RadioaciveMicrobe said:
Wow, my Pc is crap compared to your laptop, total hard drive space is 16 GB. and it runs on 0.43 Ghz

OMG... 16 GB? And runs at less than 1.0 GHz? Dude, how are you able run anything on that? :p

SpartanForever said:
NICE! I was incredibly happy when i recieved my MacBook Pro for Christmas, i think i peed myself.

LMAO! Well, that wasn't quite my initial reaction to getting my laptop, but needless to say I was very excited... :D

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
[...]

But seriously, that's nice, especially the color. Vista or XP? Couldn't read the "Windows" sticker :p

Thanks! I was really taken with the colour myself, heh. As I actually mentioned in the first post of this thread, it works off the Vista OS. Personally, I like it. Haven't had any problems with it, either... :)

SPARTAN II said:
Thanks! I was really taken with the colour myself, heh. As I actually mentioned in the first post of this thread, it works off the Vista OS. Personally, I like it. Haven't had any problems with it, either... :)

Oops, must have skipped that part, my bad :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back